• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

US to Train Cyprus in Defiance of Turkey

Shmooglavoue

US to start Cyprus military training, defying Turkey

Cooperation will be part of program for foreign officers to increase friendly nations’ interoperability with US military, after Washington ended arms embargo on island last year

1594359621578.png

WASHINGTON — The United States said Wednesday it plans to conduct military training with Cyprus for the first time, defying NATO ally Turkey, which warned of destabilization.

The US Congress last year ended a decades-long arms embargo on the island, whose northern third is occupied by Turkey.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the State Department for the first time will fund military training for the Republic of Cyprus as part of “our expanding security relationship.”

WASHINGTON — The United States said Wednesday it plans to conduct military training with Cyprus for the first time, defying NATO ally Turkey, which warned of destabilization.
The US Congress last year ended a decades-long arms embargo on the island, whose northern third is occupied by Turkey.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the State Department for the first time will fund military training for the Republic of Cyprus as part of “our expanding security relationship.”

“This is part of our efforts to enhance relationships with key regional partners to promote stability in the Eastern Mediterranean,” Pompeo told reporters.

000_1U075X-400x250.jpg

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a press conference at the State Department in Washington, DC on June 24, 2020. (Mandel Ngan/Pool/AFP)

The cooperation will be part of the US International Military Education and Training program, which seeks to train foreign officers and increase friendly nations’ interoperability with the US military.

Turkey and the self-styled Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus had warned against the end of the embargo, saying it would upset a balance of power on the island.
“As we repeatedly stressed in the past, this kind of steps do not contribute to efforts of finding a solution to the Cyprus problem but rather further strengthen the Greek Cypriot side’s uncompromising attitude,” the Turkish foreign ministry said of Pompeo’s announcement.

“It is clear that the steps that do not observe the balance between the two sides will not help restoring an environment of trust on the island as well as restoring peace and stability in the eastern Mediterranean,” it said in a statement.

The United States imposed the embargo in 1987 in a bid to avoid an arms race and encourage a peaceful resolution on the island, whose population is majority Greek.
Critics say the decision backfired by forcing Cyprus, now an EU member, to seek other partners, even as Turkey — despite its NATO membership — angered the United States by buying an advanced arms system from Russia.

Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974 in response to a coup engineered by the then-military regime in Athens, which sought to unite the island with Greece.
The island has remained largely peaceful in the ensuing decades, with Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot leaders working to build ties in recent years.
But tensions have recently flared over Turkey’s drilling for gas off the island, with the European Union calling the move illegal.
US officials, at the same time, have encouraged the warming relations with Israel of both Cyprus and Greece.

Oh its much worse and exactly why Turkey should be kicked out of NATO.

Turkey tested its first Russian-made S-400 Triumph systems on F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II fighters, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing the Evening Courier and Fighter Jets World magazines. The test results were not disclosed, but judging by the lack of complaints, it can be assumed that the country is completely satisfied with the systems, as BulgarianMilitary writes.

They did exactly what we knew they would do and send all that info straight to Putin.

Its about Hagia Sophia....Its very sad, as i said before Erdogan has no chance to win election again in Turkey. Even pro-erdogan survey company's results shows this. He need votes and behaving crazy. Next week Greece will respond(Its probably sth about Ataturk's house). War at the Aegean is inevitable in next months... Fanatics here yelling Allah u akbar at the beautiful hagia Sophia...
I may change my workplace to northern Europe or US software company... Digital Age will destroy all societies that refuse to be innovative - Evolutionary adaptation, or simply adaptation, is the adjustment of organisms to their environment in order to improve their chances at survival in that environment.- Fanaticism is the looser of next age(that we are at the dawn of it)... If a society is not open minded and not good at cooperation between different ideas result is chaos ...

Its about Hagia Sophia....Its very sad, as i said before Erdogan has no chance to win election again in Turkey. Even pro-erdogan survey company's results shows this. He need votes and behaving crazy. Next week Greece will respond(Its probably sth about Ataturk's house). War at the Aegean is inevitable in next months... Fanatics here yelling Allah u akbar at the beautiful hagia Sophia...
I may change my workplace to northern Europe or US software company... Digital Age will destroy all societies that refuse to be innovative - Evolutionary adaptation, or simply adaptation, is the adjustment of organisms to their environment in order to improve their chances at survival in that environment.- Fanaticism is the looser of next age(that we are at the dawn of it)... If a society is not open minded and not good at cooperation between different ideas result is chaos ...
Except as we’ve seen that digital world can be manipulated and controlled as easy if not easier that the real world.
Cooperation of differing ideas is not a new thing by any measure. It’s happend on and off throughout history so that’s not some new concept or evolution of the digital age.

Except as we’ve seen that digital world can be manipulated and controlled as easy if not easier that the real world.
Cooperation of differing ideas is not a new thing by any measure. It’s happend on and off throughout history so that’s not some new concept or evolution of the digital age.
Who said its new thing, whats the point of your comment? I explained what is going on Turkey, i try to give useful information to people that have common interests. i didnt get your approach to my comment. This is second time i answer unuseful comment in this blog, if you keep up wasting issues like this nobody will write here.

Who said its new thing, whats the point of your comment? I explained what is going on Turkey, i try to give useful information to people that have common interests. i didnt get your approach to my comment. This is second time i answer unuseful comment in this blog, if you keep up wasting issues like this nobody will write here.
I apologize, I did frame my response harshly.
And I suspect I did not understand the overall intent of your post.
Simply put i was responding to your observation of the dangers and opportunities of the digital age. I am not so sanguine that tech will leave us in a better place.
Again my apologies.

I apologize, I did frame my response harshly.
And I suspect I did not understand the overall intent of your post.
Simply put i was responding to your observation of the dangers and opportunities of the digital age. I am not so sanguine that tech will leave us in a better place.
Again my apologies.
Thank you for your powerful mark of maturity. One of my colleague in Istanbul is from Connecticut, we talk her nearly everyday about fall of secularism in Turkey. If i said anything harsh accept my apologies, too.

More of a language thing than anything else i think.
Keep posting and have a good day

Regarding turkey the citizens of turkey are faced with the same problem Americans are.
Their gov and institutions have been seized decades ago by a particular breed of zealots who feign piety and dogma. They will use religion or atheism... Humanitarian altruism or nationalist fervor. It doesn’t matter, what ever weakens a given culture or nation will do.

If codexinferium is correct and Erdgan is in trouble this follows and solely to rally the troops.

This won’t play well in Russia or many Eastern European nations especially with the orrhodox. The Hagia-Sophia was at the forefront of the Russian orthodox mind historically.
I do not know how much impact it has today but there has to be some.

First signs of anger at greece media: https://www.google.com/amp/s/greekc...that-hagia-sophia-is-done-athens-is-next/?amp

He still needs more vote, he dont care anything anymore...

Libya Turkish artillery deployed

Mediterranean is the hot point now: