• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

COVID-19 October, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany is preparing for a whole new lockdown, as many cities breaks the limit of positive cases. Same as few other european countries like italy, france, UK,czech, netherlands, ireland, etc
This is the start of the predicted second wave, and Europe is not faring well. Historically through this pandemic, Europe has preceded the US by two to four weeks. So if the same holds true for this second wave, the US should start seeing similar numbers and another round of lockdowns by the end of this month or so.

This is the start of the predicted second wave, and Europe is not faring well. Historically through this pandemic, Europe has preceded the US by two to four weeks. So if the same holds true for this second wave, the US should start seeing similar numbers and another round of lockdowns by the end of this month or so.
We're already starting to see rates of infection beginning to increase exponentially across most of the Mississippi Valley, Great Plains, and Northern Rockies, as well as Alaska. Positivity rates in Wisconsin and North Dakota, in particular, are extremely concerning. The remainder of the country is seeing a more moderate increase in infections, with the exception of Hawaii, California, Oregon, Upstate New York, and New England. In the territories, infection rates remain moderate in Puerto Rico; low in Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands; and no cases reported in American Samoa.

We're already starting to see rates of infection beginning to increase exponentially across most of the Mississippi Valley, Great Plains, and Northern Rockies, as well as Alaska. Positivity rates in Wisconsin and North Dakota, in particular, are extremely concerning. The remainder of the country is seeing a more moderate increase in infections, with the exception of Hawaii, California, Oregon, Upstate New York, and New England. In the territories, infection rates remain moderate in Puerto Rico; low in Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands; and no cases reported in American Samoa.

I've been tracking it. Unfortunately, nothing is being done to mitigate it here in the US. This is going to be a very unhappy holiday season for everyone.

Protests and riots break out in Naples, Italy, against new government-mandated coronovirus lockdowns.

Also, translated from an Italian site:

Scenes of urban guerrilla warfare in via Santa Lucia street, in front of the Campania Region administration building. The protesters took to the streets against the anti Covid restrictions, all with their faces covered by masks, managed to overcome the barricade of the police and now hundreds are throwing firecrackers and lighting smoke bombs in front of the building while the police respond with a dense launch of tear gas. From the rioters, also glass bottles thrown against the wall of the agents, about a hundred, in riot gear.

France : Covid-19: 21 mayors of France ask for the reinforcement of the army

The mayors of the country of Gier are asking the State to send the medical means of the army, like what had been deployed in Mulhouse during the first wave of Covid-19.

France : More than 52,000 new cases in 24 hours in France, new record (official)

Its not October anymore, its also not Covid there but could be interesting, based on current situation.

First confirmed Case of Seoul orthohantavirus in Germany.

Belgium showing signs of herd immunity arriving

Belgium showing signs of herd immunity arriving
Any claims of herd immunity should be considered misinformation. Herd immunity is not possible with this virus at this point in time.

Any claims of herd immunity should be considered misinformation. Herd immunity is not possible with this virus at this point in time.
Agreed- and it's completely unknown how long immunity would last with this virus. Herd immunity might not be possible. If it is, we still have a long way to go, anyway. Our best option is to try to get this under control. It's unlikely to ever be eradicated, but we can eventually control it to a lower "background" level.

Its not October anymore, its also not Covid there but could be interesting, based on current situation.

First confirmed Case of Seoul orthohantavirus in Germany.
Is this a confirmed case in humans or rodents? I know that there have been sporadic cases of hantavirus spilling over from rodents to humans, but that's incredibly rare. Also, there has yet to be any sustained human-to-human transmission of hantavirus.

Agreed- and it's completely unknown how long immunity would last with this virus. Herd immunity might not be possible. If it is, we still have a long way to go, anyway. Our best option is to try to get this under control. It's unlikely to ever be eradicated, but we can eventually control it to a lower "background" level.
Current indications are that antibodies provide protection to the victim for 30 to 90 days, maybe a little longer in some cases, but only for the particular strain of the virus they had. They are still susceptible to other strains during that time. Also, there is some indication that the virus can "hide" or go dormant in various organs, such as the lining of the stomach, and "reinfect" the patient much later down the road. There is also a very recent possibility that the virus mutates very quickly in human stomachs, meaning they could be infected with a different or even new strain of the virus without being exposed to anyone else who is infected.

What we know about this virus is dwarfed by what we don't know, and THAT is what makes it so dangerous for the foreseeable future. Everything I've mentioned above is documented but still being researched, so I don't want anyone to take those statements as gospel. It is merely our current understanding of the situation, and that could all change next month or later this afternoon.

Everything points to vaccines and herd immunity not being possible with this virus for now. Hopefully, it might mutate into something further down the road where those statements won't be true, but for now I'm living by advice given to me by someone on the front lines very early in the pandemic: Do everything within your power to not get this virus into your system.

Current indications are that antibodies provide protection to the victim for 30 to 90 days, maybe a little longer in some cases, but only for the particular strain of the virus they had. They are still susceptible to other strains during that time. Also, there is some indication that the virus can "hide" or go dormant in various organs, such as the lining of the stomach, and "reinfect" the patient much later down the road. There is also a very recent possibility that the virus mutates very quickly in human stomachs, meaning they could be infected with a different or even new strain of the virus without being exposed to anyone else who is infected.

What we know about this virus is dwarfed by what we don't know, and THAT is what makes it so dangerous for the foreseeable future. Everything I've mentioned above is documented but still being researched, so I don't want anyone to take those statements as gospel. It is merely our current understanding of the situation, and that could all change next month or later this afternoon.

Everything points to vaccines and herd immunity not being possible with this virus for now. Hopefully, it might mutate into something further down the road where those statements won't be true, but for now I'm living by advice given to me by someone on the front lines very early in the pandemic: Do everything within your power to not get this virus into your system.

New information almost daily. B memory cell immunity is not measurable but effective. If there were not some form of immunity we would be seeing a much larger re-infection rate. Good news. I had it 8 months ago.

Has the Chinese military been vaccinated?

Status
Not open for further replies.