• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Is Prepping for WWIII Useful? (Split from Ukraine April 2021)

Questor213

If you're waiting for this site to go to Defcon 2 before you act I think you're missing the point of being prepared for a possible Nuclear war.
There is no preparation for nuclear war besides living each day as though you may die at any time - because you might. We are all far more likely to die in an automobile accident, in an accident at home, or from disease. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm Therefore, keep your soul constantly prepared for death.

As far as this site is concerned and it's number, use the site as a news and rumor aggregator for your entertainment. Don't sit up at night worried about war and don't make your decisions based on a number at a site.

There is no preparation for nuclear war besides living each day as though you may die at any time
Completely false. Civilians can take many steps to prepare for a nuclear war, most of which involve prior planing, pre-stocked supplies of food and water, and keeping themselves informed on current events. None of this involves any change to how they live their daily lives.

If you're waiting for this site to go to Defcon 2 before you act I think you're missing the point of being prepared for a possible Nuclear war.
There is no preparation for nuclear war besides living each day as though you may die at any time - because you might. We are all far more likely to die in an automobile accident, in an accident at home, or from disease. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm Therefore, keep your soul constantly prepared for death.

As far as this site is concerned and it's number, use the site as a news and rumor aggregator for your entertainment. Don't sit up at night worried about war and don't make your decisions based on a number at a site.
Completely false. Civilians can take many steps to prepare for a nuclear war, most of which involve prior planing, pre-stocked supplies of food and water, and keeping themselves informed on current events. None of this involves any change to how they live their daily lives.
We're probably getting a bit off topic for this thread, and I don't want to start a tangent or derail conversation, but I must respectfully disagree.

I've been a prepper for more than twenty years and I come from a family of preppers. Prep what you eat, eat what you prep, etc. But I've come to the conclusion that prepping, while excellent for getting through short to mid-term shocks, is essentially hopeless for long term situations such as nuclear war. Eventually, your food will either run out or you'll become malnourished. Your water will run out. Same with your batteries, your fuel, your medicine, your ammo, and every other consumable. Your equipment will break down - including your water purification system. And in a post-apocalyptic scenario, you're not going to be able to ever get any replacements. Even setting aside the mass extinction of life forms and assuming that nature is somehow untouched, then you're going to eventually need to start truly living off the land. Say, though, that you've stored seeds and books on how to identify edible plants. Without the knowledge of how to farm, the equipment for farming, and the experience of identifying and preparing natural edibles, then you're very likely to die of starvation or accidental poisoning.

It's simply not enough to live a modern lifestyle with a shelter and a room full of preps. In order to really be prepared for major events, you need to become a self-sustaining farmer and naturalist. Those hermit naturalists living far away from population centers might fare the best, but really - it's still very likely that they will die from the climate change that accompanies nuclear war. And what are they living for anyway?

I'm sure everyone has their reason for living - their answer to the existential crisis that comes on them in the night - but at least for me, I live to obtain eternal salvation and to see my children grow up happy and productive and to eventually earn their own eternal salvation. I don't need to maximize my days on this Earth. So, I suppose I've turned some kind of corner in my life where I have stopped preparing for a day that may never come but rather I try to get today done correctly. I make sure that my kids, every hour of every day, are rearing up right and that I give God the love he deserves. I store up now rewards in heaven rather than preps in the shelter.

I don't want to get too preachy. I mean, I still prep. I make sure that I have enough on hand to be comfortable when runs on stores happen. It's just that my preps today are for short duration events. Therefore, the preps are much easier and don't take up much of my time, money, or thought. And instead I focus on living my life today.

And I still read this site frequently, even if I don't say much. It's the best site for getting news and rumors about military conflicts and I'm interested in those things. It makes for great debates, conjectures, and discussion - so long as we all remember that for the unlucky people in the war zones it is no conjecture. For those people, we should pray.

Anyway, much love and respect to you, RiffRaff, and to everyone on this site. :)

OK, but who wants to really survive a worldwide Nuclear War?

I read only insect's and viruses have a chance to survive the nuclear holocaust.🏳‍🌈

I people in the west will just give up because an existential crisis is reason enough to die.
the rest of the world will continue on in their daily lives such as they now are living and dying.
the shock to many Europeans and Americans will be so overwhelming they will give up or follow who ever offers instant hope and a few crumbs.
Just have to ask yourself why are you here, giving up is losing.
Not prepping at least mentally is suicidal.

My response to both you and Questor213 is that Hollywood has brainwashed Americans on what the aftermath of a nuclear war will be like. Make no mistake, I am under no illusions that it would be anything shy of catastrophic. However, after about two weeks, any residual radiation outside the actual hypocenters will be back to safe exposure levels and it would be safe for people to emerge from their shelters to assess their situation.

A common mistake people make is assuming that once their supplies run out, they will starve or die of thirst. What they need to realize is that their stored supplies are there not to last forever, but to give them time to find other sources of food and water. If Chernobyl has proven nothing else, it has proven that life adapts, even to the most lethal of conditions. People still live there.

So, do I *want* to survive a nuclear war? Not really, no. It would seriously mess up my retirement plans. However, I know that with my knowledge, prior planning, and supplies, my wife and I can survive the initial detonations as long we're outside the 5 psi overpressure wave radius. We can remain in our underground shelter for a minimum of 90 days, or if we choose to bugout, we can take a month's worth of supplies in my truck along with enough fuel to reach the Canadian border at a place where I can cross with the 4x4 miles from any checkpoint.

Do your own research on nuclear war survival. Don't believe what you see in the movies and on TV.

My response to both you and Questor213 is that Hollywood has brainwashed Americans on what the aftermath of a nuclear war will be like. Make no mistake, I am under no illusions that it would be anything shy of catastrophic. However, after about two weeks, any residual radiation outside the actual hypocenters will be back to safe exposure levels and it would be safe for people to emerge from their shelters to assess their situation.

A common mistake people make is assuming that once their supplies run out, they will starve or die of thirst. What they need to realize is that their stored supplies are there not to last forever, but to give them time to find other sources of food and water. If Chernobyl has proven nothing else, it has proven that life adapts, even to the most lethal of conditions. People still live there.

So, do I *want* to survive a nuclear war? Not really, no. It would seriously mess up my retirement plans. However, I know that with my knowledge, prior planning, and supplies, my wife and I can survive the initial detonations as long we're outside the 5 psi overpressure wave radius. We can remain in our underground shelter for a minimum of 90 days, or if we choose to bugout, we can take a month's worth of supplies in my truck along with enough fuel to reach the Canadian border at a place where I can cross with the 4x4 miles from any checkpoint.

Do your own research on nuclear war survival. Don't believe what you see in the movies and on TV.
And that is were many will be left like deer in the headlights.
We’re not dead
Now what do we do,
The not preparing for it with skills and mindset will leave so many helpless.
can you trap can you purify water can you treat minor ailments mold from bread to fight wound infections moss as a antibacterial.
can you defend yourself.
cholora and dysentery will probably kill more the the blast. Both can easily be avoided.

i find it a bit perplexing as to why the concept of "to prep or not to prep" causes people to become so aggressive..

It challenges their world view in significant primal way.
one is challenged by all is not as it seems and the thought the world could go to hell quickly is just to traumatizing to consider.
Other is challenged by why do people think I’m nuts, am I nuts, I can’t be nuts.
Both emotional responses on either side rooted in insecurity. “Is my view of the world that off kilter that wrong.

It challenges their world view in significant primal way.
one is challenged by all is not as it seems and the thought the world could go to hell quickly is just to traumatizing to consider.
Other is challenged by why do people think I’m nuts, am I nuts, I can’t be nuts.
Both emotional responses on either side rooted in insecurity. “Is my view of the world that off kilter that wrong.
personally, i would probably just sit my ass in a lawn chair, crack open a beer, scratch my nuts one last time and enjoy the second sunrise of the day.. 😎

I have been a big voice in my time to keep Civil Defense and now bring it back. I was there when they ceased all national civilian preparation. Nuclear war is highly survivable even with no plans and that is why Civil Defense stopped in America. America will never be invaded, only way to hurt us is to strike us with missiles. So if major chunk of Americans will live a nuclear war no need to waste money on preparing in their eyes....

Its sad but numbers and facts is what the federal government bases their plans on. Even though the smallest coordinated national civil defense effort could make recovery after nuclear war way faster they don't see that. All they see is money being wasted on something "that may never happen".... and even if it did happen America would still survive kinda. :/

Even though the smallest coordinated national civil defense effort could make recovery after nuclear war way faster they don't see that. All they see is money being wasted on something "that may never happen".... and even if it did happen America would still survive kinda. :/
We see this problem every major hurricane. People simple don't prep because they think either it won't happen or the government will take care of them.

Gone are the days when people took responsibility for themselves.

We see this problem every major hurricane. People simple don't prep because they think either it won't happen or the government will take care of them.

Gone are the days when people took responsibility for themselves.
Yep. The "It can't possibly happen here/to me syndrome" is extremely prevalent in American society. I hold the opposite view. "It not only can happen, statistically, it probably will."

Living in a modern western country it an anomaly, a bubble.
Our wealth has created a very large village of people and resources.
It probably won’t last

Since it may involve limited use of nuclear weapons, then one can prepare for it in the same way one prepares for combinations of the effects of global warming, peak oil, etc.