• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Quantum computing

Obreid

Power Poster III
I won’t pretend to understand it all.
What comes to mind though is just how fast technology develops. 70 years ago computers were mechanical punch card driven behemoths the size of rooms.
If we survive and live another 20 yrs we will not recognize the technology.
Hopefully we won’t regret it .

To be honest, I've heard stories of QC's being ran within a few of the NSA datacenters, I heard they mine bitcoin and just break algos. That's why I don't believe crypto currencies are valuable when an org can simply break the alg and or mine it a lot quicker then the people it was made for.

Quantum computing is the rabbit hole of the IT world. Even with my extensive technology background I only barely understand the basic concept, and couldn't even begin to explain it in any detail. Basically it makes the old binary computing obsolete by not limiting options to 0 and 1, but also somehow add in the ability to be both 0 and 1 at the same time, thereby providing a leap forward in computing that will make the laptop I'm using now look like an electric typewriter by comparison. It's much more complex than that, but anything beyond that explanation gets into terminology I can barely pronounce, let alone comprehend. I will be extremely surprised if quantum computers are ever made available to the general public.

We landed on the moon when I was 3 years old. (I have very vague memories of watching it on TV, but I was too young to understand the significance of the event at the time.) The watch I wear now has exponentially more computing power than what the US government used to send astronauts to the moon. I agree with Stephen Hawking: If we do not slow down, our technological development will outpace our wisdom to use it, and it will end up destroying us as a species.

Part of the reason I have slowly gotten out of IT and into OSHA and safety as a career is because it's getting more difficult on almost a daily basis to keep computer networks safe. Quantum computing will make it impossible, even for someone with my experience. I want nothing to do with the technological shitstorm that is bearing down on us.

Well thank God we are so far beyond even a glimpse at a full created self-aware, sentient being. Where getting really advanced but even at our pace of research & development we are still hundred if not many centuries away from achieving.

The power and processing power alone for a machine to have what we call a soul or a real learning self-aware sentient mind like humans has outrageous requirements and until we can learn how to make such power and than miniaturize it,..... Let's just say won't we won't be alive to see a true sentient AI mind. THANK GOD.

Well thank God we are so far beyond even a glimpse at a full created self-aware, sentient being. Where getting really advanced but even at our pace of research & development we are still hundred if not many centuries away from achieving.

The power and processing power alone for a machine to have what we call a soul or a real learning self-aware sentient mind like humans has outrageous requirements and until we can learn how to make such power and than miniaturize it,..... Let's just say won't we won't be alive to see a true sentient AI mind. THANK GOD.
Sorry, but we are within decades of this, not centuries. With AI you can achieve self-awareness and sentience, but there will be no soul. Just cold, hard logic without the human capacity for compassion or intuition. That's what makes it so dangerous. And, yes, we will probably see it in our lifetimes using Moore's Law and its historical accuracy. My very first computer I bought 30 years ago had a 20 MEGAbyte hard drive the size of brick. It had a single 7 MHz processor. Today, I can store 1 TERAbyte (1 million megabytes) of data on a chip the size of my fingernail. The laptop from which I am posting this has eight 2.9 GHz (2,900 MHz) processors, and it's over five years old. Do the math to see where we'll be 30 years from now.