• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

1 Million Gallons of Radioactive Water Could Be Discharged Into Cape Cod Bay

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
Just a little blurb I saw that I thought we should keep an eye on:

Whoever allows this to happen needs to be dunked in a running reactor pool!!!!!! The environmental groups are getting nowhere’s these days. Our county just punched through protected wetlands without blinking an eye, all to relieve traffic congestion they caused! I hate this place and I am headed to the mountains just as soon as I can get my house renovated to sell for big bucks. Flooring, paint, a little ceiling repair and my ass is gone!!

I will be happy with a little wood log cabin and a few horses. As long as I have a big bunker under the cabin 😝. My truck will be hooked to a camper for the oh crap got to go situation , if I need anything I will ride one of my horses to get it. Off grid is my idea of paradise now.

Fundamental question,
How contaminated is the water.
I read thru all three articles and might have missed it of course.
But I didn’t see any readings or NRC guidelines for what’s acceptable.
It could be horrible or it could be inconsequential compared to normal seawater background radiation.

I mean think about it. If a sea mount vent or a volcanic flow into the ocean was regulated according to human standards they would all be shut down as a superfund site.

There is a landfill north of St Louis in the Missouri bottoms that’s been on fire underground for decades. And another one near their that was a dump site for medical radiology waste for decades as well that’s been deemed to dangerous to excavate. Perspective is everything.
Ever been in an old big box chain store and their are old tiles and damaged ones everywhere.
Those tiles are all made with asbestos. It’s been determined by industry and gov agencies that removing them is more dangerous than just waxing over them.

Those tiles are all made with asbestos. It’s been determined by industry and gov agencies that removing them is more dangerous than just waxing over them.
That's not entirely accurate. Asbestos tiles are normally a dark color. (reds, blues, greys, greens etc.) They are fine as long as you don't pulverize them. I live on a old cold war air force base in Montana. All our floors on one side of the base are asbestos tile. The DEQ has told us it is legal to remove and dispose of 9 square feet of tile a day. and that the tiles are relatively safe as long as you don't crush them. They are "non friable". We kind of lucked out because all of the glue that held down the tiles has let loose already. we had minimal scraping to do. However when I removed my floors, I just used a pump sprayer to wet it down and mopped the concrete to remove the dust.

We also have AC water lines, and AC reinforced concrete foundations. you know how we handle cutting them?? Shaving cream..

That's not entirely accurate. Asbestos tiles are normally a dark color. (reds, blues, greys, greens etc.) They are fine as long as you don't pulverize them. I live on a old cold war air force base in Montana. All our floors on one side of the base are asbestos tile. The DEQ has told us it is legal to remove and dispose of 9 square feet of tile a day. and that the tiles are relatively safe as long as you don't crush them. They are "non friable". We kind of lucked out because all of the glue that held down the tiles has let loose already. we had minimal scraping to do. However when I removed my floors, I just used a pump sprayer to wet it down and mopped the concrete to remove the dust.

We also have AC water lines, and AC reinforced concrete foundations. you know how we handle cutting them?? Shaving cream..
Your correct, when I said they don’t generally remove them I meant in a full commercial remodel. I didn’t make that clear thanks.
You can heat and separate a few tiles at a time or wet them down and chip them out. But the cost to clear forty thousand sq ft of them in a remodel isn’t cost effective because you enter into a whole new world of regulations and risk.