• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Alternate Frequencies (Split from Seeking Amateur Radio Operators General Class and higher)

RiffRaff thanks for the suggestions- Have already DMZ'ed the computer and shut the firewall off. Does not seem to make any difference. I think more and more its the ISP.

Alberto thanks for the kind offer. Have all the paperwork ready to go but just have not been to Quito to the Arcotel offices yet. Curious about where in Ecuador you are. I am in Cotacachi. Would be great to know an op here.

Of note here we had a mid M class solar flare early yesterday evening (7 May) so propagation may improve, maybe some 6 & 2 M openings in the next few hours or days. Sunspot that produced it is just turning into a more geoeffective position. Heads up.

Last edited:
Of note here we had a mid M class solar flare early yesterday evening (7 May) so propagation may improve, maybe some 6 & 2 M openings in the next few hours or days. Sunspot that produced it is just turning into a more geoeffective position. Heads up.

This might need to be split into a different topic, but what effect would a few hundred nuclear detonations globally over a 24 hour period do to HF communication capabilities, both short-term and long-term?

This might need to be split into a different topic, but what effect would a few hundred nuclear detonations globally over a 24 hour period do to HF communication capabilities, both short-term and long-term?
Good question. Not pleasant to contemplate though is it. I dont have the background to know or even begin to speculate on the weapon aspect. I agree this should absolutely be a separate topic. Atmospheric nuclear testing gave us some data. Consider the inverse square law of any form of electromagnetic radiation and how a weapon probably would have a somewhat localized effect. On the other side of that coin if anyone is so curious read about the effects of the 1859 Carrington event, a sizeable CME and the effects it had on the telegraph and other systems worldwide . The magnitude of that coronal mass ejection had a worldwide effect. Fast forward to today, the effects of such an event would be a lot larger and more serious than any weapon.

I think we are too much in the formative stages of doing something constructive here--- both for getting Defcon bulletins out if the internet goes away for whatever reasons.....plus creating a more cohesive group of members sharing a hobby that can be widely beneficial to the community in a lot of ways....and through the radio section hopefully interesting some non amateurs in the hobby, fostering their curiosity and helping them get their licenses ----to go in a speculative direction about weapons. There are a lot of other areas to discuss weapons technology under the aegis of this forum. With a minima of searching there are a number of reports around about what a Carrington like event might do to our way of life. Not wide eyed speculation by doom sayers but modeling done based on science. But, a major CME, like the idea of a major exchange, we dont know because we have not experienced either. Hopefully we will be lucky and not experience either in any of our lifetimes. I have done work in what were considered mission critical radio installations (non governmental or military) to insure reliability in adverse conditions. Protecting power source and providing an alternate, proper antenna and ground system design and installation, proper design and installation of critical data and control systems all go a long way to mitigating effects created by an intense summer thunderstorm with frequent cloud to ground (or antenna array) strikes. A CME or a weapons detonation have similar but possibly greater effects. Respectfully, I think it much better to concentrate on getting our comms running here and leave the weapons part of it for somewhere else on this forum...... just my opinion.

Well hopefully we will never have to truly depend on this. But creating this kind of service could save lives. Hopefully something organized will arise soon. Very happy to see so many guest posts and interest. -Cheers

since we are talking about radios, I'd like to spotlight the US allocated General Mobile Radio Service.

I have been a licensed GMRS user for the past fifteen years or so.. one license covers the whole family (unlike Amateur Radio) and it allows the user to operate through a repeater. I happen to own and maintain four repeaters throughout the area I live, and have found it useful to communicate with the family when cell service failed (once due to weather related electrical outage, and the other, due to cell site being overloaded due to heavy demand placed on it from the PAPAL visit several years back.) Each time, GMRS kept me in touch with the family and did the job with ease.

If you are reviewing your emergency plans, i'm sure you are already packing the CB and FRS radios and perhaps even MURS, but they are radio to radio.. consider GMRS and repeater coverage to give you a wider area to operate... Commercial radios will do the trick nicely... if you go with a Motorola Saber, Astro Saber, or other such line, you may even be able to fit secure DES encryption into the radio.. GREAT for a truly secure line of communication if the SHTF..

Anyone else have similar experiences? any thoughts?

//megalos

Good Evening, Just checked it (over 2 meter link.) Got the message and replied w/ a ICS-213 form.

thanks! you are to date the first reply thus-far

Happy to help. A question for you--given that our radio hobby has changed a good deal in the time since I was regularly on the air as an HF and traffic passing op- 2012- I wanted to ask how much of your station ops are software -not necessarily internet-dependent and what operating systems you are running to accomplish this. I read a lot and am currently somewhat informed on SDR, a little on code for SDR and less on the incorporation of the internet in what we used to do before as primarily radio operators i.e radio and antenna- and if you couldnt hear them then you couldnt work them.

I was moving in the computer direction with CI-V control of what was then my primary transceiver in a multi freq multi op station...an Icom 756 Pro III-- but that was right at the last. My disillusion with the hobby's changes (not because of the technology but because of the people) led me to sell everything. Until a couple of days ago when I started activity again on Echolink --not nearly as satisfying to me personally as a transceiver, amp and antennas, and either phone or CW or digital.....I didnt realize how much I missed the hobby. Re realizing now that I am not much of a rag chewer but still want to work with traffic. Since you are in charge of our comms here if you wouldnt mind sharing I would be really interested to learn from what you do as an op, style and how much computer control you use. I miss tubes among other things...my last amp was a TenTec Centurion.... part of an earlier and older way to do things. I think it would be great for all of us to know to know how you approach the hobby and how you use technology to solve things. For me because I am curious but even moreso for the younger less experienced ops to see and emulate.

RiffRaff, gracias por las sugerencias. Ya DMZ'ed la computadora y apagó el firewall. No parece haber ninguna diferencia. Creo que cada vez más es el ISP.

Alberto gracias por la amable oferta. Tenga todo el papeleo listo, pero todavía no ha estado en Quito para las oficinas de Arcotel. Curioso por saber en qué parte de Ecuador se encuentra. Estoy en Cotacachi. Sería genial conocer una operación aquí.

Es de destacar que aquí tuvimos una erupción solar de clase media M la tarde de ayer (7 de mayo), por lo que la propagación puede mejorar, tal vez algunas aperturas de 6 y 2 M en las próximas horas o días. La mancha solar que la produjo se está convirtiendo en una posición más geoeficaz. Aviso.

Guayaquil