• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Android App

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Okay, after we pay the server bill coming up in May, we are (finally!) going to update the DEFCON Android app.

So far, all it does is reflect the current DEFCON level and play a tone when it increases in level.

If you have suggestions as to what else you would like to see it do, make them here. Be mindful, though, that we want to keep the app pretty lightweight.

The app should be like the website and/or forums.

If you can't pair the forums to it at least give the forums a quick link to the "whats new" part of the forums on the app for the lattest post and such.*

Sorry wanted to word it better.

I agree with the idea that pressing the app icon should open a browser and take you to the latest update or whatever update caused a change in level.

Is that Apple?
Yes. The problem there is getting your foot in the door with Apple to have your app available in their App Store. Unlike Android, iDevice users cannot just download a software package from any website and install that software on their iDevice. That software *must* come from the App Store or they cannot install it. And Apple won't allow just any ol' app to be hosted on their Store. That's why there is such a void on apps having two versions, one for Android and one for iOS. Android developers don't want to spend the time and money to develop a version for iOS if there's not a guarantee of getting that app approved for the App Store.

It's great to hear that the DEFCON Android app is getting an update! As for suggestions, maybe you could consider adding push notifications for updates or alerts, or even a news feed with articles related to DEFCON.
We had thought of that, but decided to keep the app as small as possible.

Plus Twitter keeps changing how you access tweets, so we would have to keep updating the thing. We're already having trouble keeping the desktop app working with Twitter always changing things.

Dear, I have a Samsung S21 cell phone, I have installed the application, but it does not work, is there any special configuration???

Dear, I have a Samsung S21 cell phone, I have installed the application, but it does not work, is there any special configuration???
alphaecho
Depending on the version of Android you have, in Settings/Applications you must give the application 3 different permissions- allow the app to run in the background, allow access to mobile data and allow the app to access the phone. the app uses SMS (simple message service) to check for and change the alert setting shown. Hope this helps.

alphaecho
Depending on the version of Android you have, in Settings/Applications you must give the application 3 different permissions- allow the app to run in the background, allow access to mobile data and allow the app to access the phone. the app uses SMS (simple message service) to check for and change the alert setting shown. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I will follow your instructions.