• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Best Consumer Survey Meters/Geiger Counters?

falloutsucks

Hope everybody is doing well!

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on the best survey meters/geiger counters for consumer use.

Looking for ones made in America, a good range of detection as well as a built-in dosimeter that I can reset if I need to.

Thanks.

Depends from your preferences. For example, for personal using good Ecotest vip geiger counter. That device helps to check radiation safety of apartments and offices, household items, clothing, cars, bank notes, personal correspondence, building materials, land property, food and etc. I found it here https://ecotestgroup.com/products/ecotestvip/

If you can get a hold of one of the old yellow civil defense radiation detector kits, do it. Those things are built like a tank and will survive an EMP even if they're sitting out in the open. A kit has a field survey meter, your standard geiger counter, and half a dozen dosimeters with a device to read them and reset them. Make sure you have lots of D-cell batteries on hand.

I have an entire kit sitting down in our shelter, and I won't sell it no matter how much they're going for.

If you want to go higher tech, there are some cell phone apps that will use your cameras to detect gamma radiation, but the lenses have to be covered with electrical tape or tinfoil. Make sure you do your research and look at ones that specify they detect gamma radiation. It helps if you have something radioactive with which to test it.