BREAKING: Biden Announced Formally to Withdraw from Iraq by Years End

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Bloomberg News

Last edited:

MichaelH

I have made my peace with the reality that the default outcome in the Middle East is an authoritarian Islamist regime that offers significant support to terrorism. Absent physical coercion, this will not change. It might be a bit more or less authoritarian, Islamist, or terrorist-sympathizing, but the differences are not huge. Our policies outside of military occupation might move the needle some in those areas. Does it make sense to maintain the presence required to stop that outcome? Well, I am torn on that. But the reality is that if you plan to be there for fifty years, you end up at the default in year 51. So while I am generally skeptical of this administration, the "forever war" label is not too misguided.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
The thing of it is, most Islamic terrorists would stop targeting America if America minded its own business in the Middle East.

I think this planet needs a global version of the Prime Directive, where advanced superpowers are not allowed to interfere in the natural development of lesser advanced cultures.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
The US will not stop supporting Israel. Though there are certain administrations that are less supportive than others.
True, but if we packed up all our troops and bases that were actually located on Middle East soil and supported Israel quietly from afar, I think that would have a huge impact on terrorist objectives against the US.

D

DuckNCover

All these withdrawals come for the single reason that there is this major war coming.
Time to wake up.

rudemarine

Power Poster
In other news, Islamic State is hiring Iraqi real estate agents...
No, Iran will be warming up their tanks now that Saudi can't handle what they have going on in Yemen. They will set up bases all over Iraq knowing nobody will come stop them
The US will not stop supporting Israel. Though there are certain administrations that are less supportive than others.
You bet your backside our government will after they attack Iran. Russia will threaten the US to stay out of it or they will jump in. That's a fact as they have already called our bluff once. In 2008.
The fact that Turkey will get involved will probably be enough for Biden to not side with Israel and then most of the Arab nations in the area will join with Iran, including Iraq to march on Israel. It could also happen if we are already tied up in a major conflict with another adversary to big to spread our forces.

I just know Israel won't get our help when they need it most which causes them to use their nuclear weapons in defense, in order to not be drove into the sea or just slaughtered. They will take heavy loses, deciding to only use them as a last resort.

This is all written in the Bible people. We know this war is something that happens in the very near future as it says Damascus,Syria will be a city no longer. That has never happened before in history, not close and it's one of the oldest ancient cities left standing.

MichaelH

Another component here is that a low level crisis is pretty useful for nearly everyone in the region. America is important enough to be a credible threat, but remote enough that even fairly significant provocations are not going to be punished too severely. If I'm an authoritarian holding on against more radical Islamists on one hand and the occasional tepid liberalizing uprising on the other, a nice external threat really doesn't hurt my cause, especially when it comes to maintaining implements of force. And if you think about it, ongoing American engagement in the region, even on a punitive basis, is a nice little check on Iran's darkest dreams without anyone having to admit it.