California Governor Recall Failed

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Recalls shouldn't be aloud in any state. If the person truly did something wrong than go through with impeachment hearings and remove anyone through a vetted historical process. Not a quick sham re-election because you don't like them. Just seems silly. Yes I'd say the same thing for any Republican official too to ever be recalled. Not a proper process IMO.

The states that allow recalls are;
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Last edited:

DarkNoon

Power Poster

California Gov. Gavin Newsom will remain in office - [CNN]

Voters stick with embattled Dem governor despite recall effort prompted by coronavirus lockdowns - [FOX]

Last edited:

Obreid

Power Poster
Recalls shouldn't be aloud in any state. If the person truly did something wrong than go through with impeachment hearings and remove anyone through a vetted historical process. Not a quick sham re-election because you don't like them. Just seems silly. Yes I'd say the same thing for any Republican official too to ever be recalled. Not a proper process IMO.
Think about recalls like this.
There is the impeachment process.
If for what ever reason the state representatives won’t impeach.
Recalls are a final option for electors to remove the official.

Think worse case scenario of the executive and legislative branches out of control and doing things that a significantly large portion of the states voters.
There are significant hurdles a grass root group of citizens have to execute before the recall is carried out.

They had to collect 12% of the last elections voters. That’s a significant number just shy of 1.5 million in this case.

also impeachment is mostly limited to criminal behavior. It doesn’t matter for recalls. It could easily just be a particularly offensive policy legislation issue that voters are adamant about.

It is the voters who are the ultimate authority after all.

And bottom line, that’s how those states wrote their constitution.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
If for what ever reason the state representatives won’t impeach.
Recalls are a final option for electors to remove the official.
If the impeachment process fails than that's it. Just a bunch of silly nonsense.

A good parallel would be your boss at a job decides not to fire you for a mistake, but then half your coworkers make you leave anyways & replace you with someone they like better. How is that right?

What if Trump becomes a Governor of a state that allows recalls. Gets impeachment hearings but fails. Than Democrats did a recall and remove him from office. I bet you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Recalls are dangerous for both parties and makes a laughing stock of historical respected processes of removing elected officials.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
You can't charge someone with the same crime twice. Why should a state official of any party be vulnerable of prosecution twice to be removed from office for the same mistake.

Any parallel you draw just makes recalls dumb. Anyone who supports this recall sounds one sided & just wanted to see a Democrat removed from office and wouldn't be saying the same thing if it were a Republican governor being recalled.

Last edited:

DarkNoon

Power Poster
The Stupid have spoken.
I don't like the Govenor either. But see recalls as a threat to both parties left and right. If you are going to remove anyone from elected offices should only go through impeachment.

Sorry want to clarify I do not support Cali Governor. Just view recalls as a threat to our republic democratic tradition of removing elected officials.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
The Tenth Amendment clearly leaves election, impeachment, and recall protocols for state elected officials under the powers of the individual states. If the federal government were to pass a law making recalls at the state level illegal, it would be a massive overreach of federal powers and a(nother) blatant violation of the Tenth Amendment by the federal government.

You may disagree with recall laws, but they are legal if the state says they are. If the people don't like that, they can petition the government to change their election rules.

Obreid

Power Poster
And as I’m prone to saying until the states say no overreach nothing will change.,
You ever ask why the federal income tax was necessary?
The gov wasn’t In debt particularly when it was enacted. It was to siphon off money away from the states and local to make them more beholden to the fed.

Break the back of the federal purse strings and the states are no longer need to react to federal laws that aren’t their purview.
What’s the purpose of defund the police,
Federal police.

when the dollar collapses repeal the IRS and the Fed.
I’m mean seriously the Federal reserve isn’t even a gov agency it a loose committee of bankers. They set the interest rates twice once at the bank and again with inflation.