• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Catastrophic Failure: 12 Story Building Collapses Like Pancakes-(Miami, FL)

Its the same story no change since crack of dawn. Watching and reading live news about this. Assumed and expect high causality event until search and rescue can sift through the rubble. Search & rescue dogs in the past few hours have not have a hit. Just bad news all around.

Time Stamp 10:08 am EST

What could possibly cause those buildings to collapse like that? Any thoughts or opinions? I know they said it wasn't terrorism, but I still suspect it.

What could possibly cause those buildings to collapse like that? Any thoughts or opinions? I know they said it wasn't terrorism, but I still suspect it.

Structurally alone, negligence and overweight perhaps? Infiltration and rusting of the concrete's steel armor. Soil and foundation issues. And so on.
I also don't think it was terrorism so far, but takes a damn lot of effort for a building to just fall down due to mismanagement. Absolute tragedy.

I am not an engineer so for what itโ€™s worth.
the building was built on a coastal island whoโ€™s substrata would be sand, coral, and karst limestone. It would have a very high water table.
So if the piers and foundations werenโ€™t properly designed could have been a foundation wall collapse.

In 2018 just 41/2 miles down the beach of the same island there was a 19 story building scheduled for demolition and it abruptly collapsed on its own also.
It wasnโ€™t inhabited at the time but some construction workers were injured or killed.

itโ€™s a curious coincidence and might have been due to design and construction errors at the time. They both seem to be of the same vintage.

Professor who studied collapsed building says it showed signs of sinking in the 1990s​

From CNN's Curt Devine

Shimon Wdowinski, a professor with Florida International Universityโ€™s Institute of Environment, told CNN he determined in a study last year that the Champlain Towers South condo showed signs of sinking in the 1990s.

The condo had a subsidence rate of about two millimeters a year from 1993 to 1999, according to his study.

While Wdowinski said that this sinking alone would likely not cause the condoโ€™s collapse, he said it could be a contributing factor.