China builds more than 100 silos in it's western desert.

Drumboy44

DEFCON Staff
Staff member
China has begun construction of what independent experts say are more than 100 new silos for intercontinental ballistic missiles in a desert near the northwestern city of Yumen, a building spree that could a signal a major expansion of Beijing’s nuclear capabilities.

Commercial satellite images obtained by researchers at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies in Monterey, Calif., show work underway at scores of sites across a grid covering hundreds of square miles of arid terrain in China’s Gansu province. The 119 nearly identical construction sites contain features that mirror those seen at existing launch facilities for China’s arsenal of nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles.

The acquisition of more than 100 new missile silos, if completed, would represent a historic shift for China, a country that is believed to possess a relatively modest stockpile of between 250 and 350 nuclear weapons. The actual number of new missiles intended for those silos is unknown but could be much smaller. China has deployed decoy silos in the past.

MikeG

Sure wish we were deploying new land based modern MIRVed missiles and hypersonic missiles now to replace the 400 ancient single warhead MMIII’s still on active duty. I’m getting the sense that Russia and China just don’t seem to fear us anymore for some reason, and a window of opportunity for them is wide open, but I’m sure will be fine….or something.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
No, the only ICBMs any country including US should invest in are mobile ones. Hard to find and hit if the location changes regularly and they are quickly abled to be set up and launched.

rudemarine

Power Poster
No, the only ICBMs any country including US should invest in are mobile ones. Hard to find and hit if the location changes regularly and they are quickly abled to be set up and launched.

Absolutely!!!! I find it a bit suspicious that every modern missile system we had just deployed or were developing at the time of the first SART agreements, we were forced to get rid of while Russia was only forced to get rid of their oldest junk systems. Then recently our wonderful defense contractors were handing us the same dam designs and asking for money to develop them after we had already deployed the same dam thing, such as the Stealth Tomahawks, The AGM-129A. Greed is going to kill our nation for our enemies to walk right in, or just turn us into a glass parking lot.

O

OneConcernedDude

Why not put them on the space platform!?
60's treaty, plus if you wanna use space weapons, just put some tungsten rods and let gravity do the rest, cheaper and equal to a nuke...
Also... let's please try to keep this cold war 2 as chill as possible, weaponizing space would take tensions into, well, orbit.

Obreid

Power Poster
Why not put them on the space platform!?
I would think they would be susceptible to hacking, and the risk of getting and keeping them in orbit. They wouldn’t detonate if they were damaged or for some reason they reentered the atmosphere. But that would be some highly enriched uranium coming down in a fire ball.

Obreid

Power Poster
I’ve always had a concern with Mobil launchers. Small military units running around in public roads and lands with TELs would seem susceptible to attacks either terrorist or sleepers in a war situation.
My understanding was the the silos were the first to launch as soon as a enemy launch is detected. They were first strike. The air and sub launchers are hidden and mobile filling the roll of TEL’s.

rudemarine

Power Poster
I’ve always had a concern with Mobil launchers. Small military units running around in public roads and lands with TELs would seem susceptible to attacks either terrorist or sleepers in a war situation.
My understanding was the the silos were the first to launch as soon as a enemy launch is detected. They were first strike. The air and sub launchers are hidden and mobile filling the roll of TEL’s.
Thats why Russia keeps theirs parked in protected garages and only sends them out when they get an alert to deploy and they can only travel a few chosen roads through the forest they are hidden in. They are only allowed to go past chosen areas when they know they are under attack themselves.

rudemarine

Power Poster
How do we get some of those? Seems they might come in handy.
Simply build them. Russia has built ICBMs with mid course correction to evade our missile defense systems better. China has built their Intermediate range ballistic carrier killer missile with mid course correction as well so it can get close to a carrier strike group or the carrier itself.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
How do we get some of those? Seems they might come in handy.

Whatever the Russians or Chinese have the US had likely for decades before they even started development.

For the longest time now it's been what I call the trickle down technology effect in layman's terms. The West/US create, manufacture, and implements technology first, than the Russians and Chinese through espionage of all types usually get a hold of the "how to specs", than make themselves a modified version of what the US made.

The United States hardly and rarly makes announcements or shows off their weapons because our systems are so beyond advanced we don't want them to know truly what we are capable of. In a sense we are keeping our cards close until we need to lay them down so to speak.

So rest assured anything and everything the Russians and Chinese have we already have and likely for a while.

Obreid

Power Poster
Whatever the Russians or Chinese have the US had likely for decades before they even started development.

For the longest time now it's been what I call the trickle down technology effect in layman's terms. The West/US create, manufacture, and implements technology first, than the Russians and Chinese through espionage of all types usually get a hold of the "how to specs", than make themselves a modified version of what the US made.

The United States hardly and rarly makes announcements or shows off their weapons because our systems are so beyond advanced we don't want them to know truly what we are capable of. In a sense we are keeping our cards close until we need to lay them down so to speak.

So rest assured anything and everything the Russians and Chinese have we already have and likely for a while.
Although I do not know for sure if your 100% correct on this. I do agree that the US does tend to hold their military tech close till right time.
Rather than boast about stuff we haven’t fielded yet
we’ve had a few hiccups with loss of tech and theft over past 20 years.
Arresting and jailing some university researchers will help.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
The Russians and the Chinese, even if they work together don't have the fat bloated runaway military budget capability to research, develop, manufacture, and implement new modern/futuristic war systems and weapons to their entire military constantly.

Only way for them to keep up is to manage to get specs of what the West creates and make their own version modified enough to call it their own or modified because they don't fully understand it.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Meanwhile the Traitorous Democrats are chomping at the bit to get rid of our land based silos for them!!!
First of all, citation needed for your claim, because Biden has already agreed to a $2 trillion nuclear rearmament plan that includes replacing 400 Minuteman III ICBMS with 600 new nuclear missiles with new nuclear warheads. This new nuclear arms race is going to get a lot of people killed.

Secondly, the concept of land-based missile silos is antiquated and they should be eliminated from American soil. Their locations are not secret - you can go on Wikipedia and obtain the exact lat/long coordinates for every active Minuteman III silo the US has. Our ability to get those missiles out of the ground and launched before they can be destroyed in a first strike scenario has seriously been in question for decades. And those missile bases would be blanketed by groundbursts in an effort to destroy them before they could be used, creating a huge source of radioactive fallout this country would suffer unnecessarily in any nuclear conflict.

In other words, they are obsolete and create more of a dangerous liability to the US than a strategic asset. If the US wants to maintain the land-based missile portion of its nuclear triad, they need to go to mobile missile launchers like Russia has, and even then I question the need for it. Just one of our SSBNs has sufficient firepower to deter a first strike or respond with a massive counterforce strike if necessary.

Finally, your ranting insults against anything Democrat are becoming tiresome in the extreme. You might try taking a deep breath and analyzing what is actually being done and if it's strategically necessary in a 21st century nuclear world rather than just assume that if the Democrats are behind it, it must be with the concept of destroying America as we know it. Calm down, take off the tinfoil hat, be a positive contributor to this forum, and save your political tirades for the Politics board.

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Secondly, the concept of land-based missile silos is antiquated and they should be eliminated from American soil.
I think they are still considered more accurate than other missiles, despite missiles than can course-correct mid-flight. Plus, course-correcting missiles rely on gps. Ground-based ICBMs do not from what I understand.

Either way, they are certainly less vulnerable than sub- or air-launched.