Chinese Covid Lockdowns

Gaijin

Every time I see a news report of new lockdown in China and zero covid policy.
I aways wonder what is it they know about covid that there not telling everyone.
The reason that they have been so paranoid stems back to the early days of the outbreak when the death rate of infected persons around Wuhan was 5%+. They were, very, scared that in a nation of 1.4bn+ the numbers of deaths would be unmanageable. Since then they have erred, heavily, on the side of caution and have reacted slowly to the changing nature of the virus. They have also had problems with low vaccination rates amongst vulnerable groups, particularly the elderly. Something that we have also experienced in HK.

As of today, they have announced the relaxation of quarantine period for incoming travellers, down to 5 days in a hotel + 3 days home monitoring. It is the first step of the re-opening of Chinese borders and a, gradual, relaxation of internal restrictions such as lonckdowns. The current plan is to continue easing over a 5-6 month period and it is unlikely that we will see too much progfress this side of Chinese New Year when, traditionally, 400m+ people travel internally to celebrate with family.

Seriously

The reason that they have been so paranoid stems back to the early days of the outbreak when the death rate of infected persons around Wuhan was 5%+. They were, very, scared that in a nation of 1.4bn+ the numbers of deaths would be unmanageable. Since then they have erred, heavily, on the side of caution and have reacted slowly to the changing nature of the virus. They have also had problems with low vaccination rates amongst vulnerable groups, particularly the elderly. Something that we have also experienced in HK.

As of today, they have announced the relaxation of quarantine period for incoming travellers, down to 5 days in a hotel + 3 days home monitoring. It is the first step of the re-opening of Chinese borders and a, gradual, relaxation of internal restrictions such as lonckdowns. The current plan is to continue easing over a 5-6 month period and it is unlikely that we will see too much progfress this side of Chinese New Year when, traditionally, 400m+ people travel internally to celebrate with family.
We’ll see

Seriously

They have yet according to Reuters their still locking down new cities.

This week, cities across China imposed tighter control measures as case numbers surged, although they are low by global standards.

Authorities reported 10,535 new domestically transmitted cases for Thursday, the most since April 29, when Shanghai was battling its most serious outbreak under strict lockdown.

The city of Guangzhou - a manufacturing and transport hub - reported 2,824 new local cases for Thursday, the fourth day in which infections exceeded 2,000.

At least three of Guangzhou's 11 districts have been put under some sort of restriction, and the city's Haizhu district extended a lockdown until Sunday.

"Only one person in each household is allowed to buy daily necessities on a staggered schedule," the government of the district of 1.8 million people said.

However, Guangzhou also said it would immediately release "secondary" contacts from quarantine, under the new rules.

Beijing, Zhengzhou and Chongqing also tightened measures as cases rose.

Zhengzhou reported 2,988 new cases, more than doubling from a day earlier, in a widening outbreak that has sparked chaos at an iPhone assembly plant of Apple supplier Foxconn (2317.TW).

In the southwestern metropolis of Chongqing, cases hit a new high of 783 on Thursday. Some districts on Friday banned restaurant dining and some subway stations were closed.

Many experts say China is unlikely to begin reopening until after the March session of parliament, at the earliest.

'STAY AT HOME'

This week, cities across China imposed tighter control measures as case numbers surged, although they are low by global standards.

Reuters mostly Corroborates your post.
I linked it because they are still seeing cases pop-up and while the lock downs are 5 vs 7 days. They are still as strict as a person with covid in the west.
Oh I’m dragging it just doesn’t seem like a viable policy.
Every they get closer to reopening cases are again going to begin showing up again.

catalystman

Chinese lockdowns in 2019-2020 coincided with massive protests in china spurred on by the riots in Hong Kong, Not to mention the Yellow vest protests gathered unstoppable momentum in the UK.. A Global solution to a global problem.

The only thing we need to see here at this stage in the game is all confirmations that this has absolutely nothing to do with a killer virus rampaging the populations of the world and all to do with control and imposition of a technological/digital panopticon... talking about this kind of propaganda serves to normalise such.. and that's extremely unhelpful in keeping people in, or helping people into what has always been, and will always be, reality. The statistics speak for themselves, essentially no excess deaths globally until after jab rollout... Thank you and have a nice day...

New Colour

World Cup images are causing problems in China.
I still maintain this has less to do with covid than depressed manufacturing demands.

Well they're now reaping what they sewed.

I seem to remember in late 2020 there were videos of young Chinese all out partying after lockdowns there were relaxed, while the rest of the world was in the midst of the whirlwind. Not to mention China freely allowed outbound flights etc, while at the same time locking down their own cities, in the early stages of the pandemic.

Shame.

I think I’ve figured it out and I could be incorrect but here is a theory for their continued zero covid policy.
Not that they are wrong to have policies to control it. But a zero covid policy is simply not doable with an endemic disease.

It’s a distraction from a seriously struggling economic situation for them.
Exports are suffering and they have all these large industrial cities and not enough work for their populations.

Seriously what better way to cover for factories with no orders than a emergency health lock down.
I haven’t done the legwork to look at the cities and factory orders versus lockdown locations. But it is the most plausible theory I’ve come up with.
Could be a lot of truth to this. China is having a very rough ride with their economy . Population is rebelling and CCP is having difficulties trying to get things under control.

If this keeps up for much longer, their economy will really start to burn up.

Irag8er

I hear allot about the cases going up, is the death toll going up as well?

China expands lockdowns as COVID-19 cases hit daily record​

Excerpt:
The daily caseload has been steadily increasing. This week, authorities reported China's first COVID-19 deaths in six months, bringing the total to 5,232.

As far as I can tell, the death toll went Fromm 0 to 1 in six months. Also, the way the article reads there has only been 5232 deaths. So I'm going with very unreliable numbers !
That being said it appears that the umber of deaths has not been on the same trajectory as the number of new cases.