• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Coronavirus: Going to survey for possible stock-up

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Tomorrow I am going to the store to see how the shelves are doing. I'm told there is already a run on paper towels, bathroom tissue, and cleansers/sanitizers.

Okay, so the local Wal-mart was completely out of bathroom tissue and were almost out of paper towels. Stuff like 409 was also running out.

Other than that, everything else looked normal.

What part of country do you live in?
In rural Midwest it’s a non issue except for mask and I do t think that’s because of local demand but because they have shifted product out to other regions.
A friend just back from Florida said the demand for those products is over the top.

Ah, the future 51st state of the union 😏
Lived in Moscow for a year and hiked the Casscades around Wenatchee for a month.
Claimed a few peaks, Its absolutely beautiful and imposing country.

I live in Arkansas. We don't have any cases of the covid19. Went shopping yesterday (Walmart) to supplement my pantry. They were restocking some toilet paper, but the shelves were slim. The stocker said that they couldn't order more because our main warehouse in Searcy was out and would not be getting any more. They were also completely out of bleach and sugar (haven't quite figured that out). Other than that, everything was pretty much stocked up.

I'm starting to wonder when it's time to call it and grab final supplies for the hunkering down.

Seems too early, but the signs are starting to gather. Not for the virus itself, but because people are panicking.

I live in Arkansas. We don't have any cases of the covid19. Went shopping yesterday (Walmart) to supplement my pantry. They were restocking some toilet paper, but the shelves were slim. The stocker said that they couldn't order more because our main warehouse in Searcy was out and would not be getting any more. They were also completely out of bleach and sugar (haven't quite figured that out). Other than that, everything was pretty much stocked up.
Sugar is for sweet tea and moonshine. Their as important as fuel for a southerner.

Got the low down from my daughter in St Louis regarding a father and daughter who broke quarantine and went to school dance.
The older sister had returned from studies in Italy and began having symptoms. Saw doctor and was diagnosed presumed positive and 2nd sample sent to CDC and she self quarantined at home.
While she waited for the test little sister just had to go to a school dance and daddy couldn’t say no. He was notified while at the dance his older daughter was confirmed positive.
Now both schools are closed for two weeks and everyone on home quarantine.
They are the two most affluent private schools in St Louis.
Perfect example of why personal responsibility for ones actions are so important to a free society. And how it is typical of the affluent and powerful to believe the rules don’t apply to them.

I hope they hold that father and daughter legally responsible if someone gets sick or dies. The Covid-19 is essentially a weapon and can potentially kill. Knowing that you may have the virus and still be irresponsible should be considered negligent homicide.

I finished my supply runs. Some items are scarce or none at all (toilet paper, paper towels, powder milk, powder eggs, masks, certain cleaners, hand sanitizers).

The virus is just about close enough to where I live. It got here quicker than I thought but I think it's been here in the USA for way longer than January 21, 2020. I'm staying home for a bit.

I live in an area where there are a LOT of preppers. Toilet paper, water, and dry goods are all on short supply here. TP disappears off the shelf immediately as it arrives. Water sales have started to slow down.

The only other thing that is running short in this area so far is medicines. The shelves have emptied and have not been restocked. Probably because all the medicines we make or buy here are all dependent on China in one form or another. I'd recommend stocking up for anyone who doesn't have enough.

This was a good excuse to resupply my ladder, but so far I've only got paper goods. Foodstuff is still well stocked.

And anyway, this is going to blow over in a couple months. People are just being paranoid.

This was a good excuse to resupply my ladder, but so far I've only got paper goods. Foodstuff is still well stocked.

And anyway, this is going to blow over in a couple months. People are just being paranoid.
After listening to some experts I trust, I'm not so sure it is. I believe we are just at the beginning of this thing, not the mid-way point or end.

Regardless, stocking up on things isn't a bad thing unless you are falling into the trap of panic buying. I would hope almost anyone who bothers to come to this message board is probably prepared to some extent for disasters.

Just heard from my boss our small city which has no cases known yet. They are making plans to shut down / work from home. Fortunately my job is mostly essential, at least for now.
He had heard the state universities are looking at not resuming classes after spring break.
I’ve reached my trip point personally given my wife’s health. Nothing but work for the time being.
My Lord could you imagine navigating this without the internet to get info. Nightly news isn’t even worth turning on on any network.

Went into Wal-Mart to get a phone charger today and out of curiosity walked over and saw all the Clorox bleach was sold out. Shelves were empty.

You really want interesting covid-19 poll . One now and repeat same in one month .compare the the two post the results. Reality will be defined.

Full on panic buying has reached my city. Just went to the grocery store and the parking lot was full, no shopping carts, lines were over an hour long and the shelves are just about bare.

Good times....good times.

Ok here’s the follow on question to all this.
With all this panic, economic stress and questions about how our governments will handle it.
Will or is this the event that kicks everything lose? Not necessarily complete breakdown of a society but significant disruptions, displacement and loss of order changes in governments.
If so why:

Personally I think the ingredients are there but there are still some significant shoes to be dropped to push it over the edge.
That’s were my concern is, I think their are some powerful people and governments who see an advantage in percipitating a complete collapse and would take advantage of these circumstances.