Coronavirus: What is your "head to the bunker" moment?

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Asking a theoretical. Not a prophecy.

But at what point, what event, has to happen to make you go "It's time to shelter" over coronavirus? What will make you stop going to work, load up the supplies, bunker down?

O

Orius

i guess i will never reach the point for real.

yes i will keep away from going outside as if possible but ... thats all.

a worldwide-pandemic on high level will end in some situations i definitely cant handle . so why should i try it on all its cost.

but honestly .. if i had all resources to keep myself away from everything outside , then the point was reached today , where 10 miles away a positive infected got trannsported from his house to a hospital.

i let the world doing what she wants to do and only pray for the best for myself and my family.

Incognito

💀 “When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.” ~ George A. Romero, Dawn of the Dead 💀 That is a huge indicator.

Seriously, when the virus is in my state. Maybe as little as a few counties from my home. I live far enough from the West Coast states so I will be able to keep an eye on the virus and see how it behaves. Also sheltering in place will be dependent on how humans are behaving out in public.

Obreid

Power Poster
The Problem with this situation is complicated.
The medical emergency looks like it (might not) cause a feared pandemic spread and widespread deaths.
Spread does seem to be moderating in parts of Asia. The jury is out on the success of containment in other places. I suspect in the US we’ll probably do ok but it will be difficult.

The unknown is how severe the economic impact is.

Take these major disruption and consider their effect on governments.

All of these make for circumstances that might take a long time to mature and will remain unknowable.
Given what we know now it’s going to be difficult for most of the year but there will be a recovery.
It won’t be until we’re mostly through next flu season before we can close the chapter on Wuhan Corona virus.

willrod1989

For me, personally, it will really only be when there is widespread community transmission. At that point, my job really becomes moot until we start to see a major decline in cases. It's really difficult to do projections and contact tracing when a major percentage of the population is infected. That being said, I've already begun to do a large part of my job from home. I honestly enjoy not having to endure sitting in rush hour traffic as much as before!

CreepyMonkey

Seriously, when the virus is in my state. Maybe as little as a few counties from my home. I live far enough from the West Coast states so I will be able to keep an eye on the virus and see how it behaves. Also sheltering in place will be dependent on how humans are behaving out in public.
Pretty much this. Only when the virus is
  • Near my home
  • Is killing people in my area
  • People are behaving atrociously
But I'm already limiting my contact with the outside world and hand washing has become a religion in my household.

willrod1989

Pretty much this. Only when the virus is
  • Near my home
  • Is killing people in my area
  • People are behaving atrociously
But I'm already limiting my contact with the outside world and hand washing has become a religion in my household.
Yes! Seriously, people may underestimate it, but washing your hands and keeping them away from your face will reduce your risk by about 75% alone.