• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

COVID-19 December, 2020

Indianapolis hospitals are full, on diversion status, and keeping sick patients in the ERs, according to our DHS. Yet we are still at Level 5 status, meaning everything is fucking wide-open. Darwin is laughing his ass off at us right now.

Indianapolis hospitals are full, on diversion status, and keeping sick patients in the ERs, according to our DHS. Yet we are still at Level 5 status, meaning everything is fucking wide-open. Darwin is laughing his ass off at us right now.
It's most likely in an attempt to delay the panic that they know will be coming. I'm sorry to say this, but things are going to get much, much worse as winter sets in. Unfortunately, our medical systems are at the breaking point right now. Short of nuclear war, this is shaping up to be the largest mass casualty event that our nation will most likely ever see.

It's most likely in an attempt to delay the panic that they know will be coming. I'm sorry to say this, but things are going to get much, much worse as winter sets in. Unfortunately, our medical systems are at the breaking point right now. Short of nuclear war, this is shaping up to be the largest mass casualty event that our nation will most likely ever see.
Even with vaccines starting to really come into play?

Even with vaccines starting to really come into play?
Vaccines are not "starting to really come into play." Early vaccines will be made available to front-line health workers and military, but the general US civilian population will probably not have access to any vaccines until the middle of 2021.

I think that is an exaggeration given the actual fatality rate.

Well, I pray to God that I'm wrong. However, the United States' death toll is already near the level of casualties from World War II, and it shows no signs of slowing down yet. I cannot imagine another widespread mass casualty incident taking place throughout this country at this magnitude, unless it's full warfare, or, God forbid, a worse pandemic.

As for the vaccines, my understanding is that they will start coming online for the general public in the second quarter of 2021. The CDC has prioritized front-line healthcare workers and vulnerable groups to be vaccinated in the spring.

However, the United States' death toll is already near the level of casualties from World War II

Out of curiosity, I looked up those stats:

As of December 8, 2020, there were 281,253 deaths attributed to Covid. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker (We'll accept that number as fact although there are deaths being attributed to Covid despite Covid not being the actual cause of death)

There were 671,278 US casualties in WWII. https://www.nationalww2museum.org/s...tarters/research-starters-us-military-numbers

So we're not there yet, but it is an alarming number.

Out of curiosity, I looked up those stats:

As of December 8, 2020, there were 281,253 deaths attributed to Covid. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker (We'll accept that number as fact although there are deaths being attributed to Covid despite Covid not being the actual cause of death)

There were 671,278 US casualties in WWII. https://www.nationalww2museum.org/s...tarters/research-starters-us-military-numbers

So we're not there yet, but it is an alarming number.

I double checked, and your numbers are correct. I was looking at direct combat deaths from World War II, while the numbers you have show total deaths from combat and non-combat related causes.

I double checked, and your numbers are correct. I was looking at direct combat deaths from World War II, while the numbers you have show total deaths from combat and non-combat related causes.
Important distinction. Combat deaths are less than half of total.

We now have reports of a new, mutated strain. It is likely this strain has been around for at least a month in my opinion, however it has now caused major alarm amongst governments.
The new strain is 70% more infectious, uses more receptors more efficiently, and has to do with the way the spike protein infiltrates and delivers the payload. They say there are no concerns with the efficacy of current vaccines against this strain, but we are also seeing more reports of severe adverse reactions amongst recipients.
As a result governments seem to be locking down and isolating specifically due to this strain.
This looks like a repeat of Jan-March all over again, but worse.

Several countries in Europe have reacted quickly to this by banning all air and land travel to/from Britain, which is where the new strain seem to have originated. No information yet on lethality or response to potential vaccines.

Like I said last late winter...SHUT DOWN THE AMERICAN BOADERS NOW!!! No one comes in and no one goes out on ships and planes. I know this will be super hard on everyone and it will further disrupt supplies but we need to get a handle on the strain we are fighting now and not have to worry about two strains. I don't know how long America will survive when it gets here, and it may already be here.

What progress is being done to hold China responsible? Seizing China's assesses would go a long way to help pay for damages and reparations but that could mean war. I don't think there is much anyone can do to make China responsible for this world cluster-FU.

Like I said last late winter...SHUT DOWN THE AMERICAN BOADERS NOW!!! No one comes in and no one goes out on ships and planes.

Not going to happen. You saw when Trump tried to shut borders to Chinese or certain Muslims.

Of course, it may be a different game when Biden comes on board, but I don't see him doing that unless things turn drastically bad.