• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

COVID-19 July, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are very different things going on in different areas. Where I live, most people are wearing masks and respecting the suggestions. I was in Arizona recently, however, and there were some bizarre things I observed. First, the Indian Reservation I drove through was locked down like I have never seen. Every entrance to a subdivision or parking lot had a check point and police guarding entry and exit. Just outside the Indian Reservation though, there was nobody wearing a mask at the gas station. What a huge difference in such a short distance!

China first time over 100 Daily new infections since months. Rise since ~ one week

The thing that really bothers me the most about this, is that usually in instances of science and medical treatment, there is almost always a middle ground of common belief amongst peers in the scientific community.

Not once have I ever seen a “Red vs. Blue” mentality when it came to preserving and helping human life and people recover from a disease. This is a massive step backward, akin to the polarization when we discovered the Earth was not the center of the universe.

We need to address the sources of all misinformation, and stop it at the source, but the issue is finding honest scientists that will not be swayed by political and financial agendas. The scientific process has been completely disregarded and thrown out, as politics now trump human life.
This exactly here. To be quite honest with everyone, this is why I've had to take time away from my job. I was going crazy with having to try and talk to people in the community and get them to do something as simple as take a test. Most of the close contacts of known cases complied, but then you'd come across a few crazies, even here in ultra-liberal Silicon Valley. Honestly, this pandemic is really fracturing our already fragile political divide in this country, which I feel will only get worse. Plus, I'm just saying, I'm very concerned when the so-called leader of the free world is posting videos of completely discredited individuals, or, if I may be so blunt, a "witch doctor", to push conspiracy theories.

Also, just an update for everyone. I'm currently safe with my family and getting a much needed break from work here on the beautiful Oregon Coast. I'll try to keep you guys updated if any new major COVID-19 developments come up that I'm aware of. Stay safe, everyone!

Yes, this has been suspected for a few months, and confirmed by several studies within the past month, that antibodies remain in the system for 30 to 90 days, after which the patient can be reinfected.
Also, it's still not completely well known at this point how long immunity lasts to this virus. Having neutralizing antibodies drop down to undetectable levels after a while is actually quite normal. Antibodies only form part of the immune system's defense against pathogens. There are CD4 helper T-cells, which are stimulated by memory B-cells, that can reactivate the body's production of antibodies against a specific pathogen. A great example is measles- whenever someone is exposed to measles, either by infection or vaccination, the level of antibodies in the blood drops down to an undetectable level within 6 months to a year. However, that person is known to be immune to measles for the rest of their life.

Interesting side note about measles and antibodies. My mother, who has since retired, was a nurse for many years. When she was a child, she has a case of the measles and made a full recovery. When she went into nursing school, she was required to show proof that she either had measles or was vaccinated against it. She couldn't find her medical records, so they gave her an MMR vaccine. A few years later, she started her first nursing job, and, in the process of moving, lost her vaccination records. So her employer made her get another MMR vaccine. Fast forward many years later, and she started another job, this time at the Mayo Clinic- and, same issue. She lost her vaccination records, and instead of getting another injection, she asked if her antibody titers could be drawn. The technicians explained that, with measles, the antibodies always fade away, but the immune response remains. So, she had another injection.

But here's where things get interesting in her story. When they heard that she supposedly had been exposed to measles so many times, they asked her if they could take a blood sample a few days after her vaccination. When they ran the antibody test, they were absolutely astonished. A normal antibody response to measles produces 12 copies of antibodies per mL of blood. Her concentration was 230 per mL! Basically, her immune system not only remembered measles, but every time she was exposed, her body mounted a stronger defense.

There's a lot that still needs to be learned about how the T and B cells respond to this infection, and how long immunity lasts to this virus. But from a worst-case scenario, common coronaviruses can reinfect people after about 1 year. T cell responses to the original SARS virus have still been detected 17 years after infection. I think this virus will fall somewhere along that continuum. Not only that, even if someone were to be completely reinfected, their immune response would probably be much stronger, thus giving them a much more mild infection. That normally works even with other viruses, such as influenza, where, despite their rapid rate of mutation, there tends to be cross-immunity after exposure to a related virus.

On a final note- the 1889-1890 "Russian flu" pandemic is thought to actually have been caused by a coronavirus as well. The symptoms that doctors described back then were eerily similar to today's SARS-CoV-2, such as severe pneumonia, gastrointestinal symptoms, and, most strikingly, loss of smell. The virus that is thought to have caused that, Hu-CoV-OC43, has been shown to have diverged from a similar coronavirus which infects cattle in Central Asia. The date that it was estimated to have entered the human population? Circa 1890. Today, that virus causes mild bronchitis.

Not only that, even if someone were to be completely reinfected, their immune response would probably be much stronger, thus giving them a much more mild infection. That normally works even with other viruses, such as influenza, where, despite their rapid rate of mutation, there tends to be cross-immunity after exposure to a related virus.

On a final note- the 1889-1890 "Russian flu" pandemic is thought to actually have been caused by a coronavirus as well. The symptoms that doctors described back then were eerily similar to today's SARS-CoV-2, such as severe pneumonia, gastrointestinal symptoms, and, most strikingly, loss of smell. The virus that is thought to have caused that, Hu-CoV-OC43, has been shown to have diverged from a similar coronavirus which infects cattle in Central Asia. The date that it was estimated to have entered the human population? Circa 1890. Today, that virus causes mild bronchitis.

Anecdotal data so far seems to indicate that patients can be reinfected by SARS-Cov-2 as quickly as 30 days after they recover from their first infection, and that their odds for hospitalization increase by about 30% with the second infection, indicating a weaker immune response, not a stronger one. And I agree that most viruses eventually mutate into something less deadly as they go along, but that takes decades.

I think this winter will tell us a lot more about this virus than we've learned so far.

I remain unsatisfied with the premise of most rational discourse on COVID in this thread and indeed the public domain... the simple impliction from the graphs below based on very widely accepted statistics are obvious to the humblest of humans.... Our population is unprecedented, and the peak in birth rate during early to mid last century creates a direct causal outcome of an aging population that creates an exponential increase in risk of pandemic annually... this was always going to happen... no amount of mask wearing, social distancing or vaccintion is going to fix this,.... A convenient analogy would be slowly releasing water from a dam that has just started seeing water from a continual rainfall that really started to come down hard100 years ago....what? you think we are going to quickly strengthen the dam walls and build a pipeline based on vaccines and hygiene to reroute this deluge??? NOT A CHANCE!!! we are only making it much, much worse ...ya'll have literally no idea what you're dealing with. Flick your hamster wheels into high gear and focus on the people (corporations) who are creating the policies that are fast creating our dystopian future... be kind to each other... Eat healthy.... drop a few pounds if you're obese... go for a walk if you can... if you're old or immune compromised, cross your fingers... As the Australian convicted crimal, Gang member and Author Mark "Chopper" Read likes to say.... "Harden the F#%k Up"!!!

Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID-800x498.pngGrowth Rate.GIF

Last edited:
As there are no other news except this :

Germany protests against Corona-measures. There is no about a confirmed number of participants, rumors about 17-20.000 but also rumors about 800.000-1,3 million People there and also counter-demonstrators with unknown numbers. Most of them without face masks etc.

Germany expect a highly rise in Corona-Cases in next days... lets wait for it

New thread started for August.

Status
Not open for further replies.