Covid-19 Supply Chain Disruption Reports

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
I am starting this thread because the best method of tracking supply chain issues is ground truth reports of what people are experiencing in their local areas. Please use this thread to post information and/or photos of any shortages of goods in your area. This is for eyewitness accounts only, not second-hand information from a brother's cousin who has a wife of a friend who heard from their brother's second cousin twice removed that there was a shortage of eggs at the IGA in another state.

This is based on personal observations only. Please include whatever location information you are comfortable sharing without compromising your privacy and personal security. For instance, almost all of my observations will be from Indianapolis and Central Indiana. Don't need to be any more specific than that.

One thing I have noticed is that several auto dealerships in Indianapolis and Muncie have more empty spaces on their lots than they do cars for sale. This seems to affect both new and used cars.

JPod

Quebec, Canada.

Last few weeks the walmart I go to has had 0 beef and small amounts of pork and chicken. Even at the start of the forever pandemic there was always meat (specifically beef). Other stores seem fine.

Obreid

Power Poster
I’ve noticed the car dealerships being really light as well. New and used. Read awhile ago this was tied to particular chip for new cars in short supply.
The manf showed significant surplus of new cars assembled and waiting for them.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Tampa Bay Florida:

Most shops are empty. All the knickknacks, trinkets, cloths, and surfside items like chairs, coolers, or even boogie boards none existing.

Walmart and Grocery stores are very bare here. More so with boxed goods than raw meat. Though the meat is pretty thin too. But it's not empty yet.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Tampa Bay Florida:

Most shops are empty of a lot of items. All the knickknacks, trinkets, cloths, and surfside items like chairs, coolers, or even boogie boards none existing.

Walmart and Grocery stores like Winn-Dixie are very bare here. More so with boxed goods & soda rather than raw meat. Though raw meat is getting thin too.

But FL supplies a lot of its own meat especially seafood and beef. So can't imagine it will be to bad for Florida meat shortage wise.

Last edited:

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Went to Publix today which is the biggest grocery chain in Florida. Meat was thin but where options. Again boxed food and soda bare on shelves.

Did some grocery shopping at Meijer this morning here in Central Illinois. Overall, the store seemed fairly well stocked, though they were low on some items. The frozen food and produce sections had some bare shelves, but this is not atypical for a Monday morning here. What is significant is that when I went to get gas for my truck, they were out of regular gas. The attendant said that a truck was coming later on today.

willrod1989

So far, there don't appear to be any disruptions at the grocery stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. Car dealerships, however, are very empty.

In other news, we are seeing some cases of the Lambda variant in Santa Clara County, all of them from fully vaccinated individuals.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Just went to Publix a major grocery chain in FL & Walmart there after... It's getting pretty bleak. No seasonal items, many empty shelves. So empty that without looking at the tags on the shelves you wouldn't be able to guess what is supposed to be stocked.

It's getting rather creepy. Many missing items across the store. I couldn't make a list because of the vastness of missing products from A to Z

Passing car dealerships are looking more like abandoned parking lots too.

I plan on stopping at BestBuy. Will be upgrading a few of my survival tech toys today for hurricane preparedness. Will report what's on BestBuy shelves or rather what's not.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
BestBuy was low or out of a lot of desktops, laptops, phones, TV, & ink. Didn't even bother to check out electronics for car Department.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
A nephew of my'n who works at Walmart said its not so much they can't get products though there are some issues with supplies. But rather not enough employees to put the products on the shelves too.

Its a compound problem with the lack of supplies & low wage workers. Worker shortage is last thing you need when supply chain is having issues.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Wal-Mart just did a pay raise because of that issue.
A lot of companies are raising wages to help bring in people but it's not working.

Americans are quitting & finding better jobs I.E manufacturing, factories, and office work which don't require a degree but pay better than floor workers because job market is the hottest it's ever been ever.

The way I see it there are more jobs than people in America right now. So there is a very big shortage of low skilled workers as they flock to other better paying open opportunities in other sectors that would not normally be open to them.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
finding that unemployment pays better, or what.
The statistics show that removing unemployment didn't effect the job markets in states that removed them earlier this summer. So no.

Remember a lot of states removed the extra unemployment benefits much earlier this summer. Hardly was a effect all summer on those states job markets.

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Study: Gen Z, Millennials Driving ‘The Great Resignation’:

It really comes down to people quitting or finding new jobs that where previously not obtainable before causing what experts calling "the great resignation". More Americans have quit or found new work in new areas on a scale never before seen in American history.

Which is now causing a worker shortage for low wage positions. Which also leads to empty shelves and long lines at stores.

Obreid

Power Poster
No one wants to drug test and many are bailing on mandates. Oh yes and of course that’s a personal observation and sundry news reports far removed from corporate media.