• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

DEFCON Warning System Android Widget v1.1

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
We've released the newest version of our Android Widget. It will (finally!) run on current Android devices. Polls for the current DEFCON level. Plays a tone when the condition is upgraded. Tap the widget to open the DEFCON Warning System website in your default browser.

Last edited:
It's a widget, not an app. I didn't know the difference. /shrug
Widgets are generally background functions that startup automatically with the phone and convey information to the user via the phone screen without any need to open an app or any other action on the user's part. They are generally limited in the information they convey, and will frequently open an app they are linked to if the user requires more information. Example: I have a few radar apps on my phone for storm spotting purposes. When the apps are open, I can interact with them and alter the interface, such as zooming in or out or selecting different radar functions. The radar widgets associated with those apps only display a current radar image on one of my phone's backgrounds, but I cannot interact with those widget displays. What I see is what I get, and if I need more detailed information I need to open the app. Same thing with my calendar widget. It displays upcoming appointments and events on another one of my phone's backgrounds, but that's all it does, is display them. To add, edit, or delete an event I have to open the app to do so.

Apps generally require the user to open them and interact with them.

FYI, I have installed the new app on my primary phone and it seems to work perfectly. One change I would consider for future versions is having it connect to the website on port 443 instead of port 80 (https versus http). But since no personal information is being transmitted over the connection, it's a minor concern. We can discuss it later when we have time.