• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Do You Have a 72-Hour Kit Ready If Disaster Strikes?

Do you have a 72-hour kit in your home, car, and/or office in case disaster strikes?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
Disasters can strike at any time in any part of the world. Are you prepared with at least a 72-hour emergency kit?

For the record, we keep 72-hour "get-home" kits in our cars, and separate 72-hour "bug-out" bags at home in case we have to evacuate without our vehicles on short notice.

Brexit's a bastard, and seems to call for at least 6 months of supplies. Or maybe 50 years...

foxache said:
Brexit's a bastard, and seems to call for at least 6 months of supplies. Or maybe 50 years...

We recommend two years of supplies minimum and build up from there. But remember that our focus is nuclear war.

For general disasters, a month minimum. Shoot for three months minimum. After all, look at Puerto Rico...

DEFCONWarningSystem said:
FYI, 72 hours is considered woefully inadequate for disaster preparedness.

I realize that, but not everyone has the ability, the space, or the funds to put together two years worth of supplies. A single mother living in a small apartment can't possibly store that much food and water. But she can put together a 72-hour kit fairly easily.
A 72-hour kit is a bare minimum and gives a person several benefits:

1: Inexpensive and easy to put together
2: Minimal storage space
3: Ability to shelter-in-place or evacuate
4: 3 days to find a more permanent supply of food or water

I honestly can't understand how anybody couldn't have at least that much of an emergency supply at all times

willrod1989 said:
I honestly can't understand how anybody couldn't have at least that much of an emergency supply at all times

Classic "It can't happen to me" syndrome. I see it time after time after time.

RiffRaff said:
willrod1989 said:

Classic "It can't happen to me" syndrome. I see it time after time after time.

I guess growing up in South Florida has taught me to always be prepared. My folks always stocked up on hurricane supplies off-season because there was NO way we were going to be dealing with the crazies mobbing the Winn Dixie at the last minute