• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) Heading our way?

Black Swan

avLCrOo.png

I've been reading and researching the phenomena of Electromagnetic pulse.

What if the lights go off all of a sudden? No big deal, right? Just wait for a bit until the utility company brings them back on.

But what if it went out for a few weeks, months, or even years? Then we’d be in trouble.

The way we live now is only possible because of our electricity grid. Take that away and we lose our transportation systems, our water filtration, the ability to live in tall buildings and so on.

Can the power actually go out for this long? That is something that keeps people up at night who study the issue of electromagnetic pulse (EMP) warfare. Right now, we don’t know the answer. But the worst-case scenario — no power for a long, long time — is certainly possible.

Back in the 19th century, a solar flare created a phenomenon called the Carrington Event, where energy from the sun made its way into our atmosphere and fried electronics across the earth. Telegraphs caught fire and the transatlantic cable was damaged. This was a naturally occurring EMP, something that NASA estimates have a 10% chance of happening now. Low odds, but still not reassuring ones.

The United States and Soviets first became aware of this possibility while testing nuclear weapons during the end of the Second World War. When nuclear detonations took place atmospherically — where many tests were done — they discovered it caused power outages down below.

Analysts also know that both Russia and China have this warfare included in their military doctrine.

Thoughts?

Article: The Threat of EMP Attack is Very Real
Article: North Korea's Plenty Scary Without an Overhyped EMP Threat
Article: Failure to Protect U.S. Against Electromagnetic Pulse Threat Could Make 9/11 Look Trivial Someday

Preparing for an EMP & The Aftermath Video:

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CnVgqgpLfY[/Youtube]

ONE MINUTE | Nuclear E.M.P. explained

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1W1i2YRz4I[/Youtube]

qSYz6m5.png

These are generally considered to be worst-case scenarios. Studies with EMP in the labs have revealed that not *all* modern vehicles would be rendered inoperable, for instance. Roughly 60% would still function based on those experiments. I'd be willing to concede that the percentage is lower now compared to when those tests were conducted due to the increasing amount of computerization being added into our vehicles every year, but it is still probable that a lot of vehicles would be either unaffected by EMP, or would simply need to be restarted. This is due to the wave length of the three components of an EMP. Short version is that the third component that is the most powerful and has the capacity to take down a national power grid consists of wavelengths that are too long to be conducted by a vehicle's frame. Above-ground power lines, however, are sufficiently long enough to conduct that energy along the lines, causing havoc with electrical devices plugged in at the time.

Similarly, household devices such as televisions and computers would only be affected if they are plugged into a wall outlet at the time of the pulse. If they are unplugged, chances are good they would still be operational and could be powered up using portable generators. Cell phones would also probably survive unless they are plugged into a wall charger at the moment of the pulse, but of course, cell networks would be down rendering them useless.

A lot of the damage will depend on the effectiveness of the EMP itself. Nuclear weapons can be designed to maximize their EMP in an attempt to deliberately cause as much damage as possible, whereas a standard nuclear weapon would be less effective. In short, we won't know until it actually happens, although the use of Faraday cages can help preppers protect critical electrical devices, such as radios and computers containing important data.

Its all hypothetical but Let's be honest preparation for an EMP isn't easy. No one really knows how things will go down following a catastrophic event
of an EMP. Whether it's the result of an attack or a solar flare, there are many unanswered questions. Will the devastation last
a few weeks, a few months, a few years? It depends.

Worse Scenario:

Realise that you are living in a world without infrastructure and it is every man, woman and child for himself. Every hour of your
prepping has come to this very moment: and you have already decided to live, and so you must commitment now (more than
ever) to have hope for the future no matter how bleak things may get. Hope must be your survival vision! Have hope for a world
that gets back on the grid. Realise also that you will be held accountable for your actions in a world that has recovered. Make
the decision to live as honourably as is feasible for your survival.

No one knows what lies ahead, though you hope for the best.

Loose wires may cause shock to individuals in your group.
Fires may spark from the surge.
Carbon monoxide poisonings may happen.
Pathways may become impenetrable and you'll need to seek alternate routes.
War, Martial Law and rioting may be in progress.
Prisoners may break free from their cells.
Disease may spread rapidly.
Food may be confiscated.
Dogs may be on the loose and turn rabid.
Nuclear plants won't be able to stay cool and as a result, will detonate.
Kindness may emerge from strangers.
Someone may save your life.

Anything is possible! In the Black Out of 2003, a massive power outage impacted tens of millions of people from New
York to Canada. The outage lasted just nine hours. You will likely need to learn how to live without electricity.

Hopefully, it will never happen to this extent......

but who knows?

qSYz6m5.png

I'd be very tempted to commit suicide if it was a worse case scenario.

I'd be very tempted to commit suicide if it was a worse case scenario.
Why,
We all come here “mostly” to be better informed and scratch our news junky fix.
I’ve read your post your smart, have common sense and would be exactly the person we would need if something exactly like this were to happen.

Why,
We all come here “mostly” to be better informed and scratch our news junky fix.
I’ve read your post your smart, have common sense and would be exactly the person we would need if something exactly like this were to happen.
It's easy to have common sense when all is well, but it's hard to say how I would actually react in a real situation. Let's pray we never find out.

It's easy to have common sense when all is well, but it's hard to say how I would actually react in a real situation. Let's pray we never find out.
Agreed I have just been listening to the PODCASTS “The Cold War and what we saw”
Talked about the nuke duck and cover drills and how that impacted that gen. I’m on the tail end of the boomers and remember the stories of the ww2 vets and living through the depression on a farm. Hell I remember party lines and three homes on our road who still used their outhouses.
I suppose giving up and quitting just isn’t in my mythology. We all play a story in our mind about what we would do if such and such occurred. Let’s hope our better halves win if it comes to it.