• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Elevated I-131 detected in Sweden & Finland

hydrazine

The nordic officials are reporting elevated I-131 in the air. Very small quantities.

Google translate

http://www.stuk.fi/ajankohtaista/tiedotteet/fi_FI/news_949/

Oh? That's highly germane now, isn't it. Thanks for the report. Worth looking into. A fallout product, but its also associated with natural gas production.
Related to some of those big(but not nuclear looking) flashes over there?

Welcome aboard! BTW. Mono or Di N2H4 ?...(I kid...)

Run through the translator

"...Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK) has been detected in Helsinki, Kuopio and Eurajoen airborne radioactivity monitoring stations from 16 to 19.3. For aerosol collected in small quantities of radioactive iodine (I-131). The measured amount of iodine were of the order of a few miljoonasosabecquereliä cubic meter of air. The quantities are so small that they have no effect on human health. Finnish other monitoring stations measuring results from this period will be completed later this week.
The Swedish Radiation Safety Authority has confirmed had made the same magnitude observations of iodine concentration. STUK will continue to iodine origin of the settlement, among other things, in liaison with neighboring countries, radiation monitoring authorities, and tells them immediately on receipt of further information.

The Finnish Meteorological Institute, the air currents sample collection period are oriented to the south to Finland mainly from the south and east.

A similar type of observation was made recently in January 2012, when iodine was from budapestiläisestä radioisotopes establishments..."

Hmm.

Ryan said:
Really nothing to be concerned about at these levels, would like to know where they are coming from and see if there is more sources on this. Neat find.

I agree. While it's not a problem in regards to the amount, the fact that it is there is a problem. Will be looking forward to the incoming developments.

Hopefully they just prove, a small mistake, like an open air grate in a nuclear power plant or something.

Or... cat litter? Could something from the US be recorded in Sweden/Finland?

http://rt.com/usa/244513-cat-litter-radiation-leak/

Ryan said:
Tanith said:
resized_chemistry-cat-meme-generator-radioactive-cats-have-18-half-lives-953896.jpg

Actually they would have 63......

:lol:
I'm sure there is a reason but I'll just take it as is.