• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Emergency Action Plans for DEFCON Levels

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
The topic of establishing Emergency Action Plans (EAPs) for personal and family use came up in another thread. I am posting the EAPs my wife and I currently have agreed upon based on the different DEFCON levels so that others interested in doing something similar can use them as a point of reference if they wish. Nothing I'm posting should compromise our security. I am always re-evaluating these plans, so comments and suggestions on improving them are welcome.

When developing an EAP, keep in mind that the goal is to think things through now, while you're calm and have access to unlimited information to assist you. The whole purpose of an EAP is to allow people to follow pre-established steps without having to try to think through panic. A properly designed EAP will quickly walk the reader through the steps they need to protect themselves while still leaving room for deviation from the plan and improvisation if the situation calls for it. EAPs should be both brief and descriptive, allowing the reader to absorb the most information in as short a time as possible. There should be an EAP for every natural or man-made threat that exists in your area. For instance, in Indiana, EAPs for tornadoes are the most common in homes and businesses. They should be clearly labeled and easily accessible to every member of the family.

Practice runs should be conducted from time to time. My wife and I use brief power outages and camping trips to this end, notating problems we have that would be serious in an extended disaster, and fixing those problems before the next dry run. About five years ago a massive blizzard hit Indianapolis, resulting in loss of power at our house for 72 hours with -20 wind chills outside. We implemented several parts of our Shelter In Place EAP and we were extremely comfortable for the duration of the power outage. However, the experience still revealed several minor weaknesses in our plan that would have become major inconveniences in the event of a long-term SIP scenario. Those were corrected in short order after the power came back on.

So, here are our current DEFCON Level EAPs. All of this took several hours of research and work, spread out over a few months until I had a finished product.

DEFCON 5 Normal peacetime level. No imminent nuclear threats exist.
  • No deviation from normal daily activities

DEFCON 4 No imminent nuclear threats exist. However, geopolitical situations require increased intelligence gathering efforts and heightened security measures.
  • Review DEFCON 3 EAP
    Inspect and clean weapons
    Review current status of all emergency supplies and note possible issues that need addressed
    Vehicle fuel tanks no lower than 1/2 full at all times

DEFCON 3 No imminent nuclear threats exist, but hostile military action against the United States or US allies is a distinct possibility. U.S. military forces are on a heightened state of alert in anticipation of mobilization. Air Force strategic assets must be ready to launch operations with 15 minutes notice.
  • Fill vehicle fuel tanks and maintain no lower than 3/4 full at all times
    Install topper on truck and prepare it for evacuation supplies to be loaded
    Review DEFCON 2 EAP
    Review Shelter In Place and Evacuation EAPs
    Increase emergency food and water supplies if possible
    Rotate and increase battery supplies if possible
    Rotate, replenish, and increase reserve fuel supplies if possible
    Increase ammunition supplies if possible
    Inspect radiation detection kit and dosimeters

DEFCON 2 There is a significant risk of major military operations including the possible use of nuclear weapons. Force readiness increases to just below maximum levels. All combat forces are readied for major operations within six hours.
  • Fill vehicle fuel tanks and return home immediately for emergency discussion and planning
    Vehicle fuel tanks to remain full at all times
    Maintain regular communications via text, phone, or radio
    Withdraw cash from bank
    Weapons loaded and ready to fire at all times
    Prepare radiation detection equipment for use and deploy dosimeters
    Review DEFCON 1 EAP
    Prepare and secure shelter and house for extended shelter in place
    Implement Shelter In Place EAP if appropriate
    Reinforce basement shelter area if appropriate
    Cover windows with boards if appropriate
    Prepare and load vehicles for quick and extended evacuation
    Implement Evacuation EAP if appropriate

DEFCON 1 Use of nuclear weapons is imminent or ongoing. Military at maximum readiness and prepared for immediate action at all times.
  • Continuous communications via radio
    Prepare for possible EMP effects
    Implement or continue to implement Shelter In Place or Evacuation EAP based on nature of threat
    Avoid all nuclear target areas (See EAP Nuclear Target Maps)
    Weapons loaded and carried ready to fire at all times
    Deadly force used against potential threats

Using the NukeMap utility at nuclearsecrecy.com, I have created several maps for our Evacuation EAP showing potential nuclear targets in all states between home and our bugout location, with a pre-planned route that avoids potential blast zones and major interstates. All travel is on local highways or county roads for as long as we are able to drive, and I try to store enough gasoline to get us there without needing a gas station. Rotating that much fuel on a regular basis is not easy. Below is an example I have edited to remove starting location, and our final destination is on another map. Blast radius is based on 500 kiloton airbursts and targets are derived from several different sources. Assuming normal traffic patterns, we can be out of all potential Indianapolis blast zones in about 15 minutes from the time we leave, possibly less if I use the emergency lights on my truck to run traffic lights. With the exception of Lafayette, Indiana, once we are clear of the Indy danger zones, we never come close enough to any potential nuclear target to worry about anything except possibly being blinded by a detonation, and our EAP has a contingency for that.
Evac01.jpg

Everyone is welcome to copy as much or as little of these plans as they wish to assist with developing your own EAPs. Please feel free to post questions, comments, and suggestions.

Edited by DEFCON Warning System: Updated information to remove location-specific details (i.e DEFCON Levels do not reflect a threat only against the United States now as opposed to when this was originally written.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou so much this has been an enlightenment of a horrible situation and I'm sure a great wake up call to lots of followers. As you commented any suggestions i personally would move possible emp to defcon 2.Otherwise considering your location and blast zones and easier access to guns the information provided is very informative and extremely valuable. Thankyou so much for this insight. 😉

Yingyang said:
Thankyou so much this has been an enlightenment of a horrible situation and I'm sure a great wake up call to lots of followers. As you commented any suggestions i personally would move possible emp to defcon 2.Otherwise considering your location and blast zones and easier access to guns the information provided is very informative and extremely valuable. Thankyou so much for this insight. 😉

I'm glad you found it useful. :)

Not a bad suggestion on prepping for EMP at DEFCON 2. I'll review that and possibly work it into the next edit of the plans. Thanks!

Train said:
So uhh
What if you're British?

And you don't have any firearms?

I'm aussie strong gun laws not easy to acquire gun here either. So my choice was bow and arrow and very happy. 😉

Yingyang said:
Train said:
So uhh
What if you're British?

I'm aussie strong gun laws not easy to acquire gun here either. So my choice was bow and arrow and very happy. 😉

Having killed large game with both I think I would prefer a clean shot from rifle than any hit with a bow. Something prime evil about a stick with three razor blades slicing through you that gives me the shudders!

Train said:
So uhh
What if you're British?

First rule of a survival mindset: Focus on what you have to work with, not on what you wish you had to work with.

RiffRaff said:
Train said:
So uhh
What if you're British?

First rule of a survival mindset: Focus on what you have to work with, not on what you wish you had to work with.

Thank you riff raff i do agree as firearms are to hard to acquire in australia for hunting and self defense i prefer a gillie suit and bow that way ammunition is not an issue and giving away position. I like quiet and patience much more satisfying and safer.😊Besides prime evil is the likelihood considering the topic.

Yep, I live in a city with VERY strict gun laws, even though I'm in the U.S. All the prepper sites seem to assume everyone has easy access to weapons though! They never tell you what kinds of weapons to have on hand if you live somewhere guns aren't allowed. All I can think of are baseball bats, pepper spray, and carving knives...

Librarylady said:
Yep, I live in a city with VERY strict gun laws, even though I'm in the U.S. All the prepper sites seem to assume everyone has easy access to weapons though! They never tell you what kinds of weapons to have on hand if you live somewhere guns aren't allowed. All I can think of are baseball bats, pepper spray, and carving knives...

Enemy to close already to deter with more distance could be as simple as a sling shot .if i got hit in the face with a rock I'm sure you could gain a couple of feet or hide.You could consider a bow aswell?

DEFCONWarningSystem said:
Yingyang said:
Thank you riff raff i do agree as firearms are to hard to acquire in australia for hunting

One advantage of a bow is it is quiet. Shoot off a gun and people know you are there. Shoot it more than once and they know where you are.

And the advantages of a sword?

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 31
Do you need a license for a bow or a sword? Serious question! You can't even carry a utility knife here legally and I think mace requires a license. I'm pretty sure I could get a gun illegally but I'm not a big risk taker generally and jail doesn't sound that appealing.

I own guns,I would use these to let public know I am not fooling around. they would not be coming to loot after a few bodies were on ground.

mardiri said:
I own guns,I would use these to let public know I am not fooling around. they would not be coming to loot after a few bodies were on ground.

If your in America your probably not that scary as those with guns will probably just shoot back and those who don't may wish to acquire them.Though in the end it will probably boil down to whom is a better shot or more patient.

Librarylady said:

If firearms are not an option, I would focus on a good hunting bow or crossbow. A hunting bow is quieter and you can reload faster, but a crossbow has a lower learning curve on accuracy. In addition to rifles, my wife and I both have good, powerful compound hunting bows with arrow tips that will take down large game if you hit them right. Also, take up sword collecting as a "hobby." I have four long swords of various lengths and types, from a ceremonial saber (that will still take off a zombie's head) to a replica of the two-handed bastard sword used in Conan the Barbarian.

Also, some muzzleloading rifles will get you around gun laws. Yes, you only get one shot and reloading takes at least 30 seconds (if you practice), but when TSHTF it would give you some security until you can figure out how to upgrade later.

Finally, there have been some amazing technological advances made in compressed gas powered guns. Such as this .357 magnum rifle, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPejLukzcY
Downside is cost and having to have a method of refilling the air tanks to 3,000 psi. But again, if you are burdened with serious firearm laws, this might get you around them and give you a deadly weapon for long enough to upgrade later.

Disclaimer: Check all of your gun laws before trying one of those options. Obviously, what is legal in my country and my state might not be legal in yours. Your mileage may vary.

Moral of the story: A weapon is a weapon. Firearms might be the most desired, but they are not the only option, and some of the examples above have the advantage of being able to kill quietly. Having several different types at your disposal gives you a small tactical advantage over the testosterone-based prepper who has nothing but loud automatic weapons in his arsenal.

RiffRaff said:
Librarylady said:

If firearms are not an option, I would focus on a good hunting bow or crossbow. A hunting bow is quieter and you can reload faster, but a crossbow has a lower learning curve on accuracy. In addition to rifles, my wife and I both have good, powerful compound hunting bows with arrow tips that will take down large game if you hit them right. Also, take up sword collecting as a "hobby." I have four long swords of various lengths and types, from a ceremonial saber (that will still take off a zombie's head) to a replica of the two-handed bastard sword used in Conan the Barbarian.

Also, some muzzleloading rifles will get you around gun laws. Yes, you only get one shot and reloading takes at least 30 seconds (if you practice), but when TSHTF it would give you some security until you can figure out how to upgrade later.

Finally, there have been some amazing technological advances made in compressed gas powered guns. Such as this .357 magnum rifle, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPejLukzcY
Downside is cost and having to have a method of refilling the air tanks to 3,000 psi. But again, if you are burdened with serious firearm laws, this might get you around them and give you a deadly weapon for long enough to upgrade later.

Disclaimer: Check all of your gun laws before trying one of those options. Obviously, what is legal in my country and my state might not be legal in yours. Your mileage may vary.

Moral of the story: A weapon is a weapon. Firearms might be the most desired, but they are not the only option, and some of the examples above have the advantage of being able to kill quietly. Having several different types at your disposal gives you a small tactical advantage over the testosterone-based prepper who has nothing but loud automatic weapons in his arsenal.
Well said 😉

Thanks for sharing this information. Out of curiosity, what was the biggest factor in choosing what weapon yields to account for? Did you research modern warheads that would be deployed by likely opponents like China or Russia?

Curious also on your choices for where bombs will be detonated. Obviously the airport and downtown area would be on the list if they were targeting citizen locations.
What about Camp Atterbury and the National Guard armory on the east side of Franklin?