• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Food in the Shelter What do you eat??? 4-4

TCharley300

This section will vary greatly due to different parts of the world and of course, individual tastes.

I’m not one of those health nuts and I’m not trying to promote a single item.

The most important thing to remember is—anything you eat, eat ALL of it at that particular time, because you won’t have access to any way to store opened food, and one of the biggest food dangers will be botulism. This can grow quickly in opened cans of food without refrigeration.

I can only speak on the American side and the Russian side, because I know what they eat also, and it’s very close to the American diet (although a little healthier)

A decently balanced meal will have a combination of some sort of a meat, a starch and a green vegetable. Many people who can afford it will use the MRE’s (meals ready to eat) but, there’s a fallacy there, because most of those MRE’s don’t contain enough fiber to help keep “things moving” Constipation will be a big factor if at least some sort of a balanced diet isn’t followed.

Under dire circumstances, (which is what everyone would be under) the diet still needs to remain the same, but you’d have to break it down a little.

Meats: Although you won’t have access to real meats for quite a while, there are canned meats that are all over the world. The reason for making the recommendation for some sort of a meat is due to the amount of protein. Yes, the protein can be substituted by having peanut butter—but take that jar and mix some real honey in it. The reason for the honey is natural honey has a certain amount of substances in it that help your immune system. And, the sweetness of the honey will help satisfy the craving for something sweet. Don’t try to make a meal out of it, just have a spoonful or two every day, or maybe a spoon after eating one of the canned goods..

Starches: The most common form of canned starches is canned corn. The corn will also have a certain amount of sweetness to it.

Greens: Any green vegetable contains fiber. Asparagus, Turnip greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Green Beans, etc. Again, this is most important, because you don’t want to get constipation.

Since the period of sheltering will be very physically limiting, you could eat one can of something in the morning—the starch in the afternoon and the green can at night. Sure, it would be great to have everything all at once, but unless you have someone to help you consume the products, REMEMBER you can’t take that chance of leaving ANYTHING in the canned goods and going back later in time and finishing them off. Botulism can and possibly could kill you, since you won’t be able to get to a doctor or hospital. This is why I said in the other segments to forget about paper plates, etc---UNLESS you have someone else there with you. That’s the exception. I’ve put almost this entire series figuring on only one person being alone by themselves.

You certainly need to have a bottle of an all purpose vitamin supplement also to be taken daily. The reason for this is just in case that something is lacking in the diet.

ANOTHER very important factor that is overlooked is having Potassium Iodide tables of the 65 mg strength. OK, now REMEMBER—this is NOT like a vitamin. It’s used ONLY for radiation emergencies. Why??

The thyroid gland in the neck seeks iodine. Most people are always short of the amount of iodine that the thyroid gland seeks. There are many other things that a nuclear detonation produces besides alpha beta and gamma radiation. A detonation also produces cesium 137 and Iodine 131, but in smaller quantities—but it’s still there. If you have a nuclear plant nearby, that’s almost guaranteed it’s going to be a target. In nuclear fission that goes nuts, or there’s an escape or release, there are two items to seriously consider. One is cesium 137 and the other is iodine 131. Although the tablets will NOT protect you from cesium 137, the tablets WILL HELP protect you from Iodine 131. See, the thyroid gland will seek the iodine 131 “Thinking” it’s iodine, but if the thyroid gland is saturated with iodine, it will not absorb the iodine 131. It grabs the potassium iodide instead ahead of time. But, like I stated previously, DO NOT TAKE those tablets UNLESS a detonation has actually occurred. Take at NO MORE than two a day, preferably ONLY ONE tablet a day until it’s safe enough for you to come out of your shelter. The half life of Iodine 131 is just a hair over 8 days, so it doesn’t hang around for very long.

The next section will be devoted to how to read and understand a Geiger counter both by rads and sieverts

Peanut butter, honey, canned fruits and vegetables last a long time. The carbs and energy provided in this next treat are the Ironman triathlon athletes favorite. Can you guess what it is? I had woman from other countries hanging on me to get these and I was handing them out for free at the race in Hawaii 😆. All I had to do , to get a free ticket and stay for a week lol. It was right after 9-11 with feds everywhere and threats were made to the race so it was a tense time for a little while. Just slammed back the drink of Hawaii and had a blast.

Fig newtons! They went nuts over those dam things, I had Aussies bringing me 6 packs of Fosters for them. I did have fun embarrassing a German guy with a bunch of German chics in tow thinking he was all that. He was literally complaining that he couldn’t open them while riding his bike. I said, seriously you can ride with no hands? If you can’t, you can use one hand and rip it open with your teeth 😆. You should have saw the look on his face when all of the women started laughing at him.

It was flat insane seeing these hot ass chics around 19 to 20 something finish that race and then go party all night.

On YouTube you can find people making Hard tack, loaded with protein and what settlers used to make to survive on as they would cross the country. It’s the old world knowledge that will keep you alive but knowing how to hunt successfully is key!

you could eat one can of something in the morning—the starch in the afternoon and the green can at night.
Something to ponder here I learned BP in cold weather. Try and put some animal fat- butter cheese what ever in evening.
The fat will breakdown through the night and provide calories to help stay warm.
Fats will be more important to help maintain body weight.
Bone marrow, brains, and sweet meats fat from fish qwere and are a staple in an aboriginal diet.
Counter to everything we’re taught today about diet. Not trying to convert anyone just pointing out critical food source.

If your humping it pilot bread, cheese, dates, raisins, nuts, goat meal, biscuit mix, honey, few cans canned meat noodles converted rice and bullion and tea.
Stick or two of butter. Don’t forget chill powder and curry. Could go for a week or more on that diet on the move and not tear your body up trying to pack it or nutritionally.
Human Grazers will snatch any wild plant they see they know is edible, munch them up and swallow. Clover, dandelions, chickweed, stinging nettles, fern shoots. Just learn them and carry if cards till second nature. Walnut husk are the best source of iodine you can find. Probably just using them as skin camouflage you would absorb much of the iodine you need as well as not stand out like a beacon if your light skinned.
It all counts.

On YouTube you can find people making Hard tack, loaded with protein and what settlers used to make to survive on as they would cross the country
How to air dried meat, bilttong. season your meat, baste in vinegar a overnight. String them on thread or similar. Hang them up out of way for 10 days to two weeks. Better than jerky
Just do when humidity low and protected from insects.
Little to get used to watching five or ten pounds of raw meat to air dry for two weeks but it’s better than wasting it or starving.
Also learn how to make vinegar. Super easy to do if you have any kind of apples grapes growing near by.
Read on how to capture airborne yeast to make a sourdough start. That’s really hard to stomach first time but not a better bread to be found. Nothing like store bought. Not even same animal. Every sourdough bread yeast will be different because generally the starts capture a different yeast which produce a different flavor.

Those are all great ideas guys, but I was just trying to keep things on the simple side for ones who don't know how to do that stuff. I went boring and basic, and yea, if there was enough time, sure--add it in there too.

Peanut butter, honey, canned fruits and vegetables last a long time. The carbs and energy provided in this next treat are the Ironman triathlon athletes favorite. Can you guess what it is? I had woman from other countries hanging on me to get these and I was handing them out for free at the race in Hawaii 😆. All I had to do , to get a free ticket and stay for a week lol. It was right after 9-11 with feds everywhere and threats were made to the race so it was a tense time for a little while. Just slammed back the drink of Hawaii and had a blast.

Fig newtons! They went nuts over those dam things, I had Aussies bringing me 6 packs of Fosters for them. I did have fun embarrassing a German guy with a bunch of German chics in tow thinking he was all that. He was literally complaining that he couldn’t open them while riding his bike. I said, seriously you can ride with no hands? If you can’t, you can use one hand and rip it open with your teeth 😆. You should have saw the look on his face when all of the women started laughing at him.

It was flat insane seeing these hot ass chics around 19 to 20 something finish that race and then go party all night.

On YouTube you can find people making Hard tack, loaded with protein and what settlers used to make to survive on as they would cross the country. It’s the old world knowledge that will keep you alive but knowing how to hunt successfully is key!
Rude, I'll have to share a story with you. On the first time I visited Russia in St. Petersburg, I had to get to the airport about 6 hours early due to a bridge that was going to be raised, blocking traffic to the airport. Besides the guards, and the airport manager, I was the only one in the whole airport at that time of night. After looking at everything, I saw that the lounge was open, so I decided to go in there and get a cup of coffee. OK, all the guards were there. They were basically off duty and were drinking. Conversations started-a few knew some English, and I know just a little Russian. Well, when a Russian offers you a drink of vodka, it's a sign of friendship and if you refuse, it's an insult. I don't drink that much, because I have a very high tolerance to alcohol and I like it, so I stay away from it by choice. I was never an alcoholic or anything. Of course, I was asked if I ever had vodka before and I hadn't. They asked what chaser I wanted, and I said it wasn't necessary.

You should have seen that look in each other's eyes, like-- oh boy,,,,this is gonna be good. A toast was made to friendship. After the swallow, they saw it wasn't bothering me any. Finally asking, how did you take that so easy??? I told them that they had never had TN moonshine before. LOL They didn't know what it was.

The second time I went over there was about 6 weeks later. One of the guards remembered me and we spoke quickly while I was going through customs. I told him what day I was leaving and I'd make sure to get to the airport very early like last time. Sure enough, when I got there on the specified day, the airport manager closed down the airport for about 6 hours, since no flights were coming in, he called in some girls and we had our own private party, dancing the night away, and buddy, those Russian women are absolutely beautiful.

I guess that's one of the most enjoyable times in my life. It was 16 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. The people are just like us, and there are so many things in common. That's a reason why it saddens me so much to see all this crap going on over there.

Rudemarine,thanks for reminding me of my Ironman days…. Lol. Fig newtons we’re the absolute best on bike food out there. Tasty,no muss no fuss and an instant energy surge.

Rudemarine,thanks for reminding me of my Ironman days…. Lol. Fig newtons we’re the absolute best on bike food out there. Tasty,no muss no fuss and an instant energy surge.
Yoo-hoo is great for leg cramps. I remember that from my bicycling days.

Yoo-hoo is great for leg cramps. I remember that from my bicycling days.
Never forget the value of beetroots for an energy boost. Beets are rich in natural chemicals called nitrates. Through a chain reaction, your body changes nitrates into nitric oxide, which helps with blood flow and blood pressure. Beet juice may boost stamina, improve blood flow, and help lower blood pressure, some research shows.