• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Gene editing 'blocks virus transmission' in human cells

It is interesting actually attacking the virus’s dna rather than provoking a immune type response.
It is gene editing though. What’s to say these tech don’t in time produce something worse, tinkering on a car is not the same as tinkering on a replicating biological function.
Installing damaged video card can easily be rectified. Changing the software code haphazardly can not.

It is interesting actually attacking the virus’s dna rather than provoking a immune type response.

It is gene editing though. What’s to say these tech don’t in time produce something worse, tinkering on a car is not the same as tinkering on a replicating biological function.

Installing damaged video card can easily be rectified. Changing the software code haphazardly can not.

Hmmm. The great question of science, to take it wherever it leads us. So far it has turned out alright. But scientists don't truly take orders for the government or militaries. Scientists often have a mind of their own which is where the motto "we must take it as far as we can go no matter where it takes us." comes to mind.

Hopefully things are properly handled and restrictions are in place to prevent such catastrophe.

That being said the motto "take it wherever it leads us" only happens with funding and trust me now a days the government(s) does much more intensive research as to where their money is going in tech developments and are much more careful where to invest, aka avoiding "mad scientist".

Just like "self aware" AI, I have confidence that such things won't develop because mentally unstable scientists with bad ideology don't get funding and we are so far off, we have other things to master before a True AI is built. Which funding only from government(s) can provide such progress. That is parallel with this subject.

Last edited:
mentally unstable scientists with bad ideology don't get funding and we are so far off, we have other things to master before a True AI is built. Which funding only from government(s) can provide such progress
With progress still money is a finite supply even if all governments put their money/value together, with growing population such money for development is often put on the back burner now a days or rather brushed aside...

Governments won't invest to much into bio warfare as it results in national/geopolitical suicide. So why make them let alone better ones if they are never to be used on any real logistical scales. Geopolitics is a chess board, making or using bio weapons is check mate. So why waste money developing them.

Last edited:
Governments won't invest to much into bio warfare as it results in national/geopolitical suicide. So why make them let alone better ones if they are never to be used on any real logistical scales. Geopolitics is a chess board, making or using bio weapons is check mate. So why waste money developing them.
From what I know, this virus was indeed leaked from a bio-lab. But not a military or government funded bio-lab from CCP but rather medical research lab (mrl) as asian countries are the most vulnerable to dieses from high concentration of people in urban areas.

So instead of blaming China we need to make sure medical research for the benefit of mankind comes with no risks and is heavily regulated. We need to blame HIGHLY unregulated medical research globally, not the governments themselves......

What concerns me isn't governments making bio viruses, but medical research cooperations making such advancement almost unsupervised..... In the end doing good but mistakes need to be mitigated highly...

With progress still money is a finite supply even if all governments put their money/value together, with growing population such money for development is often put on the back burner now a days or rather brushed aside...

Unfortunately, not everyone is on board with the taboo of biowarfare, especially terrorist organizations. There's a reason bioweapons are called "the poor man's nuke." So countries that have outlawed the use of bioweapons in warfare still have to have a biowarfare program in place so that defenses can be developed against what's out there.

From what I know, this virus was indeed leaked from a bio-lab. But not a military or government funded bio-lab from CCP but rather medical research lab (mrl) as asian countries are the most vulnerable to dieses from high concentration of people in urban areas.

So instead of blaming China we need to make sure medical research for the benefit of mankind comes with no risks and is heavily regulated. We need to blame HIGHLY unregulated medical research globally, not the governments themselves......

• Despite the WIV presenting itself as a civilian institution, the United States has determined that the WIV has collaborated on publications and secret projects with China’s military. The WIV has engaged in classified research, including laboratory animal experiments, on behalf of the Chinese military since at least 2017.

Despite the WIV presenting itself as a civilian institution, the United States has determined that the WIV has collaborated on publications and secret projects with China’s military. The WIV has engaged in classified research, including laboratory animal experiments, on behalf of the Chinese military since at least 2017.
Well in a sense every company in China has government backing.

still have to have a biowarfare program in place so that defenses
But as RiffRaff mentioned above their are defense research for bio terrorism mostly done in the Private Sector. But major & majority of countries have zero interest in building them on any scale,.. which brings me back to what I said above as well about not a whole lot of funding for it,.. & highly unregulated in the private sector.

I am not to worried about a real lethal pandemic brought on purpose or by war, but rather the private sector accidently leaks a real deadly virus i.e a souped up Covid strain made for defense/medical research and gets out.

Which is ironic as these viruses are made to study and build drugs to resist them & help but in the end it's worse than Pandoras Box. Sadly we need such research so fingers crossed it never happens again... ⚔️;)😅 Only way to make sure we are safe is to make the private sector highly regulated to the max when it comes to bio research anywhere and everywhere..

Last edited:
A virus doesn't need a lab, it can adapt fast and mutate stronger, after every new infected person it becomes a little bit more effective and resistant.
It takes longer than in the lab but in the end the result is the same.
The final form is the non-treatable most highly infectious dominant variant that can bypass the immune system.

A virus doesn't need a lab, it can adapt fast and mutate stronger, after every new infected person it becomes a little bit more effective and resistant.
Yes but we cannot underestimate a virus released accidentally from a medical research lab weather private or public sector. That's my main fear. Not a virus mutation on it's own.