• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Heres what I dont get

BygmesterFinn

Why try to survive a nuclear attack. If the US homeland is attacked with nuclear weapons, it will in all likelihood be a massive scale attack. Given this, even if you survive the initial explosions and fallput, wouldnt the nuclear winter kill you off slowly but surely?

Nuclear winter is theoretical. Not saying it won't occur, but it's all speculation at this point. My thinking is that you prepare for the worst and do the best with what you have.

BygmesterFinn said:
Why try to survive a nuclear attack. If the US homeland is attacked with nuclear weapons, it will in all likelihood be a massive scale attack. Given this, even if you survive the initial explosions and fallput, wouldnt the nuclear winter kill you off slowly but surely?

Well, most experts think that a massive surprise attack from one superpower against another is the least likely scenario. Most agree it will either be an accidental launch or a gradual escalation of deliberate exchanges. I can make the Canadian border in 5 hours, so my hope is there's enough warning to allow that. Not many targets in Canada to worry about.

RiffRaff said:
BygmesterFinn said:

Well, most experts think that a massive surprise attack from one superpower against another is the least likely scenario. Most agree it will either be an accidental launch or a gradual escalation of deliberate exchanges. I can make the Canadian border in 5 hours, so my hope is there's enough warning to allow that. Not many targets in Canada to worry about.
Regardless, nuclear winter happens. Plus if you leave, you miss the fireworks :D

RiffRaff"Not many targets in Canada to worry about.[/quote said:
True, but they're going to get fallout from Europe plus whatever circles the globe from the US.

Canada isn't much safer than the US except for not being specifically targeted for a mass attack.

BygmesterFinn said:

The same reason we try to survive daily life despite death being an inevitability.

Survival is why we're all still here, nuclear winter or not.

BygmesterFinn said:

While nuclear winter is a frightening prospect... because it hasn't happened yet, all we can do is simulate, and simulate, and simulate. We'll never know the actual outcome of a full-on nuclear exchange and whether a nuclear winter will follow. Personally, I hope we never actually get to test that out, if you know what I mean.

BygmesterFinn said:

Because you never know you could have Tsutomu Yamaguch's luck. Or bad luck. Depending on how you look at it.

Nuclear Winter is not a guarantee, even in a full nuclear exchange. In fact, I think the whole theory has largely been discredited over the years. The whole idea goes that a full-scale nuclear exchange would create so much smoke and airborne dust to blot out the sun and bring about a catastrophic drop in global temperatures. In truth, many natural disasters throughout the course of earth's history have lofted more smoke and dust into the atmosphere than would occur during a full scale exchange with negligible effects on the weather.

Surviving the initial blast and short term fallout are the keys to survival. Both of those goals also happen to be attainable through a bit of planning and preparation.

Fox One said:
Nuclear Winter is not a guarantee, even in a full nuclear exchange. In fact, I think the whole theory has largely been discredited over the years. The whole idea goes that a full-scale nuclear exchange would create so much smoke and airborne dust to blot out the sun and bring about a catastrophic drop in global temperatures. In truth, many natural disasters throughout the course of earth's history have lofted more smoke and dust into the atmosphere than would occur during a full scale exchange with negligible effects on the weather.

Surviving the initial blast and short term fallout are the keys to survival. Both of those goals also happen to be attainable through a bit of planning and preparation.

OTOH, many natural disasters have influenced the weather to a large degree.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pinatubo/self/

I do not mean to come across as rash but.
Nuclear Winter is absolute Hokum.
Nearly all detonations will occur higher in the atmosphere than ground level.
So... even If every single detonation occured near or on the surface. The intensive heat would literally turn dust to glass.

However on the flipside. The entire ozone would be for the most part de-ionized and pretty much dissipated.

The alledged "Hole" in it now can be pointed at two incidents.
Project Phoenix
Tsar Bomba...
Project Phoenix was det over the Pacific shortly after the Discovery of the Van Allen belts.
Tsar bomba was just pure lunacy as well.