• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Information query on food supplies

“I'm preparing for a worst-case scenario. Our stimulus checks are going straight towards food preps, firewood, weapons and ammunition.” 👍
My wife’s gone off the emotional reactionary consumption and ordering clothes. Given that if she catches it she’s at a very high risk I say nothing. What can I say “your trapped here and won’t see your kids or go out for six months”.
Just sucks you know.

I finally sprung for a Kelly Rocket Stove. It should arrive about the time the power goes out.

While we're on the topic:

Well we’ve been on lockdown where I’m at for a month. We’ve gone from 10 cases to 50.
I go to the grocery store or farm store and their packed.
All that the lockdown achieved is it funneled everyone into six stores rather than 50. Everyone’s running around with homemade mask and probably reusing them throughout the day.
My wife has to tell friends no you can’t come over.
I heard today our gov extended the lockdown through May.
Im seriously thinking about breaking out one of the full face respirators at work and just wearing it to freak everyone out at the store.
Strap on my mad max machete and tomahawk and drag a Nagan ball bat through the store. Bet I wouldn’t have any personal space issues in the isle would I 😂

I want a picture of that.

I saw someone at Wal-Mart wearing one of those.

I have 5, three of which are still in their original packaging. I'm waiting on the second wave before I break those out. For now we're just using our N95s.

While we're on the topic:

I saw some weird stuff in the meat dept today. First they had these 2lb packages of 70/30 ground beef at the front of the store as you walk in. 70/30? Never seen that before, usually 80/20 is what you see on up to 90/10 and so forth. When I got to the meat dept there was no ground beef, except one package I think was misplaced because I found it over by the pork. It was a normal 1lbs package of 85/15. Only two packages of chicken, with various people standing over them and not grabbing them. After watching several people looking at the chicken, I went over and grabbed one. What needs to be analyzed? I don't get it. Are people assuming since there are only two packs of chicken left, there must something wrong with those two packs?

There were a few vegetable items looking pretty sparse for the first time. They had tiny anemic looking heads of lettuce for about 50 cents more than the normal robust lettuce. Bread yeast was pillaged.

They finally had two bottles of hand soap, I grabbed one. They had tons of single toilet paper rolls like you see in commercial places.

I have 5, three of which are still in their original packaging. I'm waiting on the second wave before I break those out. For now we're just using our N95s.
I have worn one of my Israeli gas masks out in public for kicks and giggles. Oh the looks on people's faces...

I found a pretty good feed for news articles about the food supply:

Food Supply

Just reporting on the local conditions here in San Jose, California. We had a few days where it was impossible to find ground beef- steaks were few and far between. It seems most people were switching to chicken and turkey, which was getting a bit bare. We're finally starting to see more beef in the stores again, and they've removed limits. However, thankfully, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much hoarding going on anymore. People are grabbing one package at a time or so. Seafood, however, continues to remain very plentiful and on sale here- found some great deals on shrimp and dungeness crab.

Just reporting on the local conditions here in San Jose, California. We had a few days where it was impossible to find ground beef- steaks were few and far between. It seems most people were switching to chicken and turkey, which was getting a bit bare. We're finally starting to see more beef in the stores again, and they've removed limits. However, thankfully, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much hoarding going on anymore. People are grabbing one package at a time or so. Seafood, however, continues to remain very plentiful and on sale here- found some great deals on shrimp and dungeness crab.
I think part of the challenge to groceries was they were one of the only stores open. People could only really “shop” at the market. So the shopped more gave them something to do and focus on.

I think part of the challenge to groceries was they were one of the only stores open. People could only really “shop” at the market. So the shopped more gave them something to do and focus on.

Exactly. On another unrelated note, we are beginning to see a decrease in the number of calls to our county's crisis intervention hotline. The number of daily calls appears to have peaked about a week ago, and we are seeing a steady decline. I think people are beginning to adjust to the new normal.