Japan to deploy missile units to Ishigakijima island

Drumboy44

DEFCON Staff
Staff member

The Japanese Defense Ministry plans to deploy Ground Self-Defense Force missile units with 500 to 600 personnel on Ishigakijima island in Okinawa Prefecture by the end of fiscal 2022, sources said.

20210803_094609.jpg

It will bring the total number of locations with missile units in the Nansei island chain to four, including the main island of Okinawa. The move is apparently made with an eye toward China, which is strengthening its maritime presence.

According to the sources, one of the new units will operate surface-to-ship and ground-to-air missiles and another will handle the initial response phase in the event of a major disaster or armed attack.

The government will include expenses related to the deployment in the budgetary request for fiscal 2022.

New GSDF camps will be built on the former site of a golf course away from urban areas on Ishigakijima island. Housing facilities for GSDF personnel, an ammunition depot and a training ground will also be built.

The Nansei island chain spans about 1,200 kilometers, which is comparable to the length of the Japanese archipelago. It is located in the so-called first island chain that stretches to the Philippines.

Last edited:

rudemarine

Power Poster
I do not get why they announce crap before they do it. This just allows China to take it beforehand if they had planned on it for their coming invasion of Taiwan let alone put spies there so they know where every last little ammo can is kept.

Y

Yakamura Hanzai

China can never attack or invade our(jp) mainland. My grandpa's katana still on the wall.

Ben Dhyani

I do not get why they announce crap before they do it. This just allows China to take it beforehand if they had planned on it for their coming invasion of Taiwan let alone put spies there so they know where every last little ammo can is kept.
As if Chinese intel would not be aware of it in real time, but why do they tell us plebes, propaganda I guess?

Obreid

Power Poster
The US announces some things as testing commences. The thing is it gets released in military or tech sources. It just doesn’t get picked up I’m regular news sources. The stealth technology was an exception though.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Apparently Japan is going to arm these missiles with nuclear warheads????

DarkNoon

Power Poster

Just read the article. No I think there saying they are nuclear capable or the launchers are and US nukes could be launched from there would, be a logical guess into that headline.

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
This seems to be the confusing part of the article.

The move is aimed at countering Beijing's increasing naval presence in an area that carries a history of military disputes, reported Japanese media, adding that the nukes will also help defend against a potential Chinese attack. (Emphasis added)
Japan doesn't have nuclear weapons. I don't know what "Japanese media" is reporting that.