• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

"Member of The Year" DWS prize contest?

Should we have a member of the year contest?

• Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Don't really have a plan or anything. Maybe just a once a year thing.

If we think a post is really funny we copy it to a thread dedicated to collecting posts and nominating one at the end year for most funny.

Maybe someone gets a sticker for it on their profile for a year and then the sticker goes to next person who wins next year.

@DEFCON Warning System something you would be okay with?

Nothing being seriously proposed now. But if we talk it out and make a good plan for it would you be willing to allow it?

Also before anything think we should hear what the public has to say about it.
I don't know. What would qualify? Most important? Most humourous? Most informative?

What would be the reward? A sticker? How long displayed?

I don't know. What would qualify?
Most funny no need to over complicate things.

What would be the reward? A sticker? How long displayed?
Just until next time. It would be like a baton. The sticker will be passed to the next winner.

Mind you, I am not above holding a contest. We have money. We can give gift cards, PayPal, survival supplies.

We've done it before.
Maybe a sticker and a gift card to make the competition more enticing and would lead more people to participate.

As mentioned, I lean to Most Valuable Poster.
Yes me too more I think about it. Simply because that would lead to a lot of members being more active and seriously contributing more regularly.

After quick thought I think your idea is better because it brings out the best results. Like having a fun and honest game on the forums that will entice members to contribute more and better quality or dedication of regular revisiting members.

"When no credit is taken, Accomplishment endures." -Tao Te Ching

In my opinion valuable posts and the appreciation of them are its own reward, and money cheapens things.

Okay so we settled on something. Member of the year contest.

Really loving the idea more i think about it. Biggest question I have is how would a member every year be determined?

I see two options really in determining member of the year:
1.) Public vote and we tally everyone's nomination and whoever gets most votes win.
2.) We pick a non staff judges panel.

I'm for option 1. Im not entirely sure if staff should be the ones determining the winner as that could lead to speculation or favoritism.

"When no credit is taken, Accomplishment endures." -Tao Te Ching

In my opinion valuable posts and the appreciation of them are its own reward, and money cheapens things.
Don't have to be so serious about it. Just floating some fun ideas all members can get involved with and have fun.

A prize of any kind is just a prize and nothing philosophical about it. It's what makes lengthy games or dedication to a effort fun or worth while for people. A prize. ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Wait wait. What if instead of a monetary/cash prize we give members survival tools. Like pricier ones 99% of people don't have but really should.

Maybe give a decent geiger counter as they can be a couple hundred dollars or send a legit rad suit or gas mask rated for radiation? Something a member can actually use and would fit into our narrative here of nuclear war.

Winner of Most Valuable Poster gets $200.

What do you think of that?
I'm leaning more towards preparedness items that are more pricey or out of reach for most of our members instead of a basic cash prize.

Like reliable Geiger Counters or special radiation PPE for the winner. Stuff that will absolutely make a difference in someone's life if the worst happens.

I know where we can get federally rated radiation preparedness items. Though actual tested and rated survival items can be well over 100$ from the best manufacturers. Same manufacturers that the federal government contracts out of.