• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Myths and Facts of Radioactive Rain

Gen Jack D. Ripper

I'll have to watch the video in details, but I'm wondering how they do the identification of from which isotopes the radiations are coming. I mean, a counter will count the total of radiations from all the isotopes. To measure the radiation level from one isotope, you have to separate all the elements, and it needs special equipement, like an ionizer and mass spectroscopy or another separation process.

Ryan said:
A process called Gamma Spectroscopy is used to identify the certain isotopes inside a substance. Its a branch of nuclear physics that I and my friend both take part in. We do rather amateur but still very accurate levels of the science. It can take years of learning to fully grasp how it works. At real labs, the level of sensitivity is far greater and Toms equipment is better than my own, but will still give the same end result.

Basically its a very very very complicated science that involves nuclear physics, time, and money.

Tom does many videos explaining Gamma Spectroscopy but be prepared for a full lecture and only a pin prick to the subject.

I've studied in analytical chemistry and worked for a while in the field. It will be interesting to read on Gamma Spectroscopy. At first look, it looks similar to optical spectroscopy, measuring signals at specific wavelengths/energy.