• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Need your opinions

Zer0

Should I be prepping for a possible conflict with north korea? If so what are the main items that should be on top of my list? Also I live approximately 40 miles north of MacDill AFB. Would my family and I be safe if Tampa hypothetically got hit? I have no fallout shelter of bunker, I was contemplating building a bunker type shelter in my living room with sandbags if things take a turn for the worse. If anyone has any other suggestions on fallout protection I'm all ears.

You should be ready for any kind of emergency. If not North Korea, what about Russia? Or a natural disaster?

The best time to get ready is before you need to.

But to answer the question you asked: I don't think you need to worry about a nuclear bomb from North Korea coming to get you.

If things go all out, maybe radiation from Korea drifting over. But the US itself is in very little danger.

Zer0 said:
Should I be prepping for a possible conflict with north korea? If so what are the main items that should be on top of my list? Also I live approximately 40 miles north of MacDill AFB. Would my family and I be safe if Tampa hypothetically got hit? I have no fallout shelter of bunker, I was contemplating building a bunker type shelter in my living room with sandbags if things take a turn for the worse. If anyone has any other suggestions on fallout protection I'm all ears.

As for your proximity to MacDill, the entire Tampa Bay area looks like it has multiple targets, including St. Petersburg, Tampa, MacDill, and a few others clustered in that area. Also, there might be a target somewhere near Yankeetown, but for the life of me I can't see anything that looks strategic there. Quite possible the target information is old. My guess is you would survive the initial blasts, and you being on the west coast of that state means you're far better off in the way of fallout than people on the Atlantic coast. Still, my bugout plan would be to buy or steal a boat, head out into the Gulf, then turn south.

As to your first question, a lot of links in this forum go over what you need and how much for survival in most situations. Look through them and print them out. Start building up your supplies now, while you can. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and you have all you need to ride out the next hurricane to hit your area.

Edit: I should add this target information is based on a Russia/US conflict. Nothing DPRK has can currently hit your area.

RiffRaff said:
Zer0 said:

As for your proximity to MacDill, the entire Tampa Bay area looks like it has multiple targets, including St. Petersburg, Tampa, MacDill, and a few others clustered in that area. Also, there might be a target somewhere near Yankeetown, but for the life of me I can't see anything that looks strategic there. Quite possible the target information is old. My guess is you would survive the initial blasts, and you being on the west coast of that state means you're far better off in the way of fallout than people on the Atlantic coast. Still, my bugout plan would be to buy or steal a boat, head out into the Gulf, then turn south.

As to your first question, a lot of links in this forum go over what you need and how much for survival in most situations. Look through them and print them out. Start building up your supplies now, while you can. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and you have all you need to ride out the next hurricane to hit your area.

Edit: I should add this target information is based on a Russia/US conflict. Nothing DPRK has can currently hit your area.

I think if something happens in the Korean peninsula, China undoubtedly will step in siding with the north. For obvious reasons. Also russia may join the fray as well. I have a plan to shelter in place with my family since any inkling of a war around here its total gridlock. There is no way to make it to the coast which is around 5 miles away. The population in my neck of the woods are people with a multitude of bad habits its very dangerous around here. So I've decided to make a shelter in my living room as crazy as it sounds using sand bags stacked up a minimum of 36 inches on all sides. Plus obtaining a boat and piloting one is something I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't even know how to start one.

Zer0 said:
RiffRaff said:
Zer0 said:

I think if something happens in the Korean peninsula, China undoubtedly will step in siding with the north. For obvious reasons. Also russia may join the fray as well. I have a plan to shelter in place with my family since any inkling of a war around here its total gridlock. There is no way to make it to the coast which is around 5 miles away. The population in my neck of the woods are people with a multitude of bad habits its very dangerous around here. So I've decided to make a shelter in my living room as crazy as it sounds using sand bags stacked up a minimum of 36 inches on all sides. Plus obtaining a boat and piloting one is something I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't even know how to start one.

If so, don't forget that you would need to sandbag the floor above you as well. Some 2 by 4s, hammer, nails and boards for support of said sandbags. (Unless you are in the middle of a building at least 6 stories high.)

Yes, it will be an ungodly amount of work to accomplish this bunker. However, it may be the only viable option for my family and I to survive.

Zer0 said:
Yes, it will be an ungodly amount of work to accomplish this bunker. However, it may be the only viable option for my family and I to survive.

Start by calculating the worst case dosage for your house. That will give you the necessary thickness. Then choose material and design. Not the other way around.

Before anything else, stockpile potassium Iodine for the kids.

Doc said:
Zer0 said:

Start by calculating the worst case dosage for your house. That will give you the necessary thickness. Then choose material and design. Not the other way around.

I heard using iodine swabbed on a portion of the skin daily works as well? Please let me know otherwise.

Doc said:
Zer0 said:

Is there a formula to figure this out? Or an app? I need it in layman's terms since math isn't my strongest subject.

Zer0 said:
Doc said:
Zer0 said:

Is there a formula to figure this out? Or an app? I need it in layman's terms since math isn't my strongest subject.

Let's see if we cannot figure it out here. That way, if we f**k it up, someone can correct us. :)

1. Calculating fallout in your location

I find Nukemap to be rather good. https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ Or you can draw the plume yourself on a map using the standard tables: https://durdenanded.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/table1.jpg

I would start there. You would need to know your closest probable target(s) and what kind of yield it/they would recieve in your plan. If you want worst case fallout-scenario, you choose a surface burst and the worst possible wind-direction. Now you know the apox RAD/hr (Rad is the amount of radiation absorbed). These tables are for open terrain.

2. Calculating amount of dirt and stuff
You then use a halving-thickness chart to calculate the amount of matter needed. http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/WO2013052024A1/imgf000038_0001.png

With kids in the house, you need the first 24/hrs to be well below 50 RAD, meaning your shielding should be thick enough to reduce to under 2 RAD pr. hr. as a minimum. Remember that you can combine stuff. You need to store water anyways. Why not stack the containers up against the walls? Discarded car batteries from the local scrap yard is excellent.

Remember too, that the shelter doesn't need to be that big. There will be nothing to do out and about in the house anyways. Might as well lie prone and read. If you lost your windows in the blast, be sure to have something to board them up with. Your house doesn't have to be air-tight, just dust-tight.

Should you do this calculation and find that you will be unable to produce enough shielding, evacuate. The table above gives you the apox time you have to make that call.

My own calculation as example: I am 160 km from the capitol. The capitol has a secret bunker where the entire top brass will be hiding out. It is quite possible that it will recieve a Topol warhead (800 kt), surface detonation in a all out war with russia.

According to nukemap and the table above, I have to get ready for apox 80 RADs/Hr (I am just outside the 100 RAD plume). Halfing thinkness is then: 1 = 40 RADS, 2= 20 RADs, 3 = 10 RADs, 4 = 5RADs, 5 = 2,5 RADs, and finally, 6 halving-thinknesses is 1,25 RADs pr. hr.

I need 6 halving thinknesses if all odds are stacked against me. Using the table under 2), that is 6 cm of lead (a couple of car batteries), 36 cm of concrete, 13 cm of steel, 60 cm of soil, 108 cm of water and 2 meters of wood. Or any combination.

Was this understandable?

(PS: I belive you would absorbe Iodine the way you described. The object here is to saturate the Thyroid gland of anyone below 40 years of age with regular Iodine, so that Iodine 131 is not absorbed. If you check the salts at your local grocery store, you will probably one one that containes Iodine. You can use that. Just remember that more salt = more pee = more water stored. If you need the correct dosage for kids and it isnt online, I can produce that for you from the old sivil defence materials.)

Doc said:
Zer0 said:
Doc said:

Let's see if we cannot figure it out here. That way, if we f**k it up, someone can correct us. :)

I find Nukemap to be rather good. https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ Or you can draw the plume yourself on a map using the standard tables: https://durdenanded.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/table1.jpg

I would start there. You would need to know your closest probable target(s) and what kind of yield it/they would recieve in your plan. If you want worst case fallout-scenario, you choose a surface burst and the worst possible wind-direction. Now you know the apox RAD/hr (Rad is the amount of radiation absorbed). These tables are for open terrain.

You then use a halving-thickness chart to calculate the amount of matter needed. http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/WO2013052024A1/imgf000038_0001.png

With kids in the house, you need the first 24/hrs to be well below 50 RAD, meaning your shielding should be thick enough to reduce to under 2 RAD pr. hr. as a minimum. Remember that you can combine stuff. You need to store water anyways. Why not stack the containers up against the walls? Discarded car batteries from the local scrap yard is excellent.

Remember too, that the shelter doesn't need to be that big. There will be nothing to do out and about in the house anyways. Might as well lie prone and read. If you lost your windows in the blast, be sure to have something to board them up with. Your house doesn't have to be air-tight, just dust-tight.

Should you do this calculation and find that you will be unable to produce enough shielding, evacuate. The table above gives you the apox time you have to make that call.

My own calculation as example: I am 160 km from the capitol. The capitol has a secret bunker where the entire top brass will be hiding out. It is quite possible that it will recieve a Topol warhead (800 kt), surface detonation in a all out war with russia.

According to nukemap and the table above, I have to get ready for apox 80 RADs/Hr (I am just outside the 100 RAD plume). Halfing thinkness is then: 1 = 40 RADS, 2= 20 RADs, 3 = 10 RADs, 4 = 5RADs, 5 = 2,5 RADs, and finally, 6 halving-thinknesses is 1,25 RADs pr. hr.

I need 6 halving thinknesses if all odds are stacked against me. Using the table under 2), that is 6 cm of lead (a couple of car batteries), 36 cm of concrete, 13 cm of steel, 60 cm of soil, 108 cm of water and 2 meters of wood. Or any combination.

Was this understandable?

(PS: I belive you would absorbe Iodine the way you described. The object here is to saturate the Thyroid gland of anyone below 40 years of age with regular Iodine, so that Iodine 131 is not absorbed. If you check the salts at your local grocery store, you will probably one one that containes Iodine. You can use that. Just remember that more salt = more pee = more water stored. If you need the correct dosage for kids and it isnt online, I can produce that for you from the old sivil defence materials.)

Very interesting information!

Drumboy44 said:
Doc said:
Zer0 said:

Was this understandable?

Very interesting information!

Oh, I could go on for months... :D
I'm a power-nerd.