• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

North Korea’s nuclear test site at risk of imploding, Chinese scientist says

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
The single mountain under which North Korea most likely conducted its five most recent nuclear bomb tests, including the latest and most powerful on Sunday, could be at risk of collapsing, a Chinese scientist said.

By measuring and analysing the shock waves caused by the blasts, and picked up by quake stations in China and neighbouring countries, researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China in Hefei, Anhui province, said they were confident that they were all carried out from under the same mountain at the Punggye-ri test site.

The team from the seismic and deep earth physics laboratory made the claim in a statement posted on their website on Monday. Its leader, geophysicist Wen Lianxing, said that based on data collected by more than 100 earthquake monitoring centres in China, the margin of error was no more than 100 metres.

Wang Naiyan, the former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and senior researcher on China’s nuclear weapons programme, said that if Wen’s findings were reliable, there was a risk of a major environmental disaster.

Another test might cause the whole mountain to cave in on itself, leaving only a hole from which radiation could escape and drift across the region, including China, he said.

“We call it ‘taking the roof off’. If the mountain collapses and the hole is exposed, it will let out many bad things.”

Read more at South China Morning Post

I thought it already collapsed? Wasn't there a second tremor right after the test that the USGS attributed to a collapse?

RiffRaff said:
I thought it already collapsed? Wasn't there a second tremor right after the test that the USGS attributed to a collapse?

My take on that at time was an internal collapse.
They are now believing it will concave a guess on its self.
Interesting that china would allow this report to come out about potential radiation exposure from it.
Interesting because the Party likes to control any potential neg info tightly. This reflects negatively on DPRK and China's policy of ignoring their test let alone facilitating them.
In point: it collapses, radioactive dust cloud is spread across the region, dear party leaders why didn't you do more to prevent this?

RiffRaff said:

Yes. The second quake was from a collapse. I think the article is talking about a major collapse of the entire underground infrastructure.

Would be interesting to see a close approximation of accurate poll on what everyday Chinese would like to be done with KIM and his military state.

38North put out a good update

http://www.38north.org/2017/09/punggye090517/