• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Not Allowing Posts That Show US & US Allies/Friends Military Movement or Positions

I can’t help but think perhaps we shouldn’t be tracking and broadcasting the movements of US capital assets.
I tried advocating/lobbying a rule in February when Russia wrongly invaded Ukraine with the Director about making it against the rules to share US or US allies/friends military positions or movement.

But it was sadly denied after a lengthy internal debate among staff. Though happy to bring the debate up again with the @DEFCON Warning System on making it against the rules to post US or US allies/friends military positions or movement particularly in combat/war. Peacetime positions is different story.

I tried advocating/lobbying a rule in February when Russia wrongly invaded Ukraine with the Director about making it against the rules to share US or US allies/friends military positions or movement.

But it was sadly denied after a lengthy internal debate among staff. Though happy to bring the debate up again with the @DEFCON Warning System on making it against the rules to post US or US allies/friends military positions or movement particularly in combat/war. Peacetime positions is different story.
This site would become a branch of the current government, we already have you, that's enough. Anyway, several media do it.

we already have you, that's enough.
I know everyone thinks of me as the big bad corporate government bad guy and your right to think so. Though I'm really not a bad guy, I have a lot more morals & patriotism then most in my bracket.

It's the reason why I have in the past and still do want US and US allies/friends military positions or movement not aloud to be posted. At least durring non normal peacetimes like now with our proxy conflict with Russia.

I know everyone thinks of me as the big bad corporate government bad guy and your right to think so. Though I'm really not a bad guy, I have a lot more morals & patriotism then most in my bracket.

It's the reason why I have in the past and still do want US and US allies/friends military positions or movement not aloud to be posted. At least durring non normal peacetimes like now with our proxy conflict with Russia.
No, I don't think you're mean, you represent a percentage of the American population, like other leaders represent other % of the population.

I moved our convo here since it got off topic. Thought this discussion was unique enough to have it's own thread.

Though I don't have high hope's of this becoming a rule as Director and staff have already discussed this and made the ruling that it is aloud recently back in February.

Unless director feels like bringing it back for a internal debate again this will likely go no where @Torcher. :(

If USA\NATO were at war it might be
different, we are not at war, at all
case, not at this time.
Well if you noticed my wording:
US and US allies/friends
That would include Ukraine as Ukraine is a friend at war definitely not at peacetime. No sharing Ukraine positions or movement would be under that rule if it where ever passed (not likely). Though the OSINT community is doing a rather fine job at doing it anyways we should be too regardless.

Any nation that depends on oscint for intel is behind the game.
Given that solders some how can carry phones into combat and record battle escapes me. Not from the aspect of preventing or suppressing information.
Rather from the aspect that cell phone clusters can be mapped and tracked by either side.
So for me any nation that allows this deserves what they get. As we have seen poor signet procedures has resulted in quite a few deaths of Russian flag officers.
And as far as reposting what’s already out their on Twitter telegram or any other social media site. Well it’s already out there and it is much more likely Russian intel forces are monitoring them for info not us.
If we had actual members or guest posting live first person data and locations, well that might be another thing altogether.

I mean they can triangulate with air ground or satellite. And capture practically everything that goes out across the spectrum. If Russia is relying on Twitter and telegram post then their screwed.
A much greater effect can by had with this media by posting false narratives and impact the domestic opinion of the prosecution of the war. This is a real thing and it can have significant effect.

Paranoia? Not necessary. Everything here comes from other sources of equal ability to gain info from. Maybe the rule of sources is the issue to which should be considered for such concerns, but to think your enemies rely or focus on this site for the information they seek could be a tad exaggerated. Obviously it is public information that is accessible without focus on this site alone.

I agree in theory but remember googling/researching WMD (I'm a librarian so maybe I'm good at it) when Tony Blair looked at Iraq and finding that a PhD student questioned it all. I was sure that the UK government knew more than me but since my Google fu is clearly superior I would now be concerned. 😏

Is the site designed to inform people about the current risk of a nuclear event?

I doubt there is anything on here that isn't already 'out there' so all information should be published, unless it's obviously a classified leak that only this site is in possession of, and even then, if it's relevant to nuclear risk, some effort should be made to communicate the risk.

I can read 'just the favourable bits' and slanted reports/propaganda elsewhere.

Last edited:
No, I don't think you're mean, you represent a percentage of the American population, like other leaders represent other % of the population.
I'm American and I think banning postings Is legitly stupid and against the freedom of speech.

Last edited:
I'm American and I think banning postings Is legitly stupid and against the freedom of speech.
Agreed it isn't like it is secret or top secret information. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂 or the def level represents military def level 🤣😂🤣 or we play a part in conflicts and outcomes. 🤣😂🤣 🙄😒

We shouldn't consider us too much seriously: this is OSINT information, nothing is classified, so, I don't see the problem. Furthermore, let's say it, 90% of the information reported in the discussions "REPORTS", are almost useless info already bouced many many times both on Twitter and Telegram channels and often reflects the biased position of the poster: let's say if one simpathize for Russia, we see a destroyed Ukrainan tank in the middle of the steppe, if one simpathize for Ukraine, here it is the usual information about Russia finishing its neverending weapons. If Russia wants to have info about NATO mouvements, it doesn't see at this site, and neither to Telegram or Twitter. Rather Russia spreads info on these channel, as NATO does. Generally, the "DISCUSSIONs" are more interesting, because at their level, they make an analysis of the raw OSINT data.

Our policy is that public information is public. Saying it here doesn't breach any protocol since it is already out there. No one is watching the DEFCON boards for tactical information. There are other places where they can get the info faster.

When Staff at The DEFCON Warning System gets private information, we keep it private no matter which side it is from. We use the information only to assess the threat of nuclear war.

For example: If, during the Ukraine war, someone from Russia were to privately tell us that Russia is about to make some military movement, we would not post it even if such information would help Ukraine.

The DWS is strictly non-partisan. Our only goal is to warn about the threat of nuclear war.

Non partisan yet we got staff trying to recycle up the idea. Plus it's kind of looking like staff is setting up a supermajority to pass this type of referendum on the fourm.

Every day we are getting less and less of an oppositional moderation team. It's becoming more and more pro west. This is coming from someone from the west and,has been here since first term Obama.

Non partisan yet we got staff trying to recycle up the idea. Plus it's kind of looking like staff is setting up a supermajority to pass this type of referendum on the fourm.
There is no "supermajority". It doesn't work that way here.
Every day we are getting less and less of an oppositional moderation team. It's becoming more and more pro west. This is coming from someone from the west and,has been here since first term Obama.
As hard as we try to keep a diverse staff, the fact of the matter that most (not all) are from the West. So there is going to be that natural tendency to lean toward that.

And you also have to take into account that there is the "official" position of The DEFCON Warning System and then there are "personal" opinions that are freely expressed here.

I am very pro-Ukraine and think they should stick it hard to Russia. That is my personal opinion.

Officially, when I do stuff for DEFCON, I have to put aside my personal opinions and do what needs to be done to provide an accurate analysis while keeping that neutrality.

There is no "supermajority". It doesn't work that way here.

As hard as we try to keep a diverse staff, the fact of the matter that most (not all) are from the West. So there is going to be that natural tendency to lean toward that.

And you also have to take into account that there is the "official" position of The DEFCON Warning System and then there are "personal" opinions that are freely expressed here.

I am very pro-Ukraine and think they should stick it hard to Russia. That is my personal opinion.

Officially, when I do stuff for DEFCON, I have to put aside my personal opinions and do what needs to be done to provide an accurate analysis while keeping that neutrality.
I think when it comes to legislation on the site we should have moderators and ambassadors for a side. Ambassadors hold no power like that besides being able to possibly stand up for a differing opinion instead of all westies in a chat trying to enforce legislation/rule on minorities which push us out or away. It's kind of an institutional struggle. I'd like to say it right now but, YingYang should be a legit Ambassador for pro-rus.