• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

"Old" Gas Masks Still Good?

Hey there! I have an MCU-2/P gas mask (the navy and air force one) from 1988. It's been kept in very good condition and I have a brand new filter for it. I'm wondering if I should be worried about the mask itself. I've read it's much more about the filter, as the masks will last a while if taken care of. Thoughts?

DesertRanger said:
Hey there! I have an MCU-2/P gas mask (the navy and air force one) from 1988. It's been kept in very good condition and I have a brand new filter for it. I'm wondering if I should be worried about the mask itself. I've read it's much more about the filter, as the masks will last a while if taken care of. Thoughts?
I've never heard of a gas mask lasting long - the rubber seal and straps should deteriorate. Granted, I'm not an expert on gas masks. I have worn an old gas mask, that didn't seal properly, and so I joyously experienced the gas. I've also experienced sufficient CS without the aid of a mask to develop an immunity to it. So, I can only recommend two things: buy a new gas mask, or if you're too frugal, then take your present mask, place it against your face without using the straps, suck in the air, and see if it seals. If it sticks to your face, it should be "good enough," by military standards anyway.

Never rely on a gas mask that is more than 20 years old. Certain filters will actually become toxic after a certain amount of time.

Green said:
Never rely on a gas mask that is more than 20 years old. Certain filters will actually become toxic after a certain amount of time.
I figured as much with filters, especially because some had espestos. But I figured the masks themselves, especially the military ones, would last some time as long as the filters are replaced

DesertRanger said:
Green said:
I figured as much with filters, especially because some had espestos. But I figured the masks themselves, especially the military ones, would last some time as long as the filters are replaced

I had one hanging on the wall as it had great sentimental value to me. A space heater exploded a few years back and I grabbed the mask off my wall. To my surprice it ripped in half as I was putting it on. I'll admit that it was a high-stress situation and that I might have overstretched the thing, but still, it seemed very much to have exceeded its shelf-life.

Black snot for two days.

Having been given the gift of an old respirator,then finding out about it in the gas hut during training, I would discard any mask over six or seven years old. More than likely the rubber has dried out,thus will not seal correctly and might even tear.

CS gas does NOT taste,smell or react good/well.

I've never heard of a gas mask lasting long - the rubber seal and straps should deteriorate. Granted, I'm not an expert on gas masks. I have worn an old gas mask, that didn't seal properly, and so I joyously experienced the gas. I've also experienced sufficient CS without the aid of a mask to develop an immunity to it. So, I can only recommend two things: buy a new gas mask, or if you're too frugal, then take your present mask, place it against your face without using the straps, suck in the air, and see if it seals. If it sticks to your face, it should be "good enough," by military standards anyway.
That first exposure is never fun. My eyes were burning for quite a while.....🤣

Ok so correct me if I’m wrong. If you cover the intakes with your palm. And can not draw in any air. Is that not a sufficient test for seal? It is pulling a vacuum and compressing down on my face.

Ok so correct me if I’m wrong. If you cover the intakes with your palm. And can not draw in any air. Is that not a sufficient test for seal? It is pulling a vacuum and compressing down on my face.
And also cover exhaust port and exhale hard. Visual inspection for even minor cracks and dry rubber, leaks around eye pieces and worn straps.

Correct. This is called a "manual fit test," which is an OSHA requirement for anyone wearing any kind of respirator. If you cover the intakes and exhaust and are unable to take a normal breath in or exhale normally, then you have a good seal. Doesn't matter how old it is, but age might impact how long you maintain a good seal.

Also, this is something you should do *before* you need the gas mask, and each person should have their own individual mask. If you share a mask, it screws up the good seal for both parties.

Correct. This is called a "manual fit test," which is an OSHA requirement for anyone wearing any kind of respirator. If you cover the intakes and exhaust and are unable to take a normal breath in or exhale normally, then you have a good seal. Doesn't matter how old it is, but age might impact how long you maintain a good seal.

Also, this is something you should do *before* you need the gas mask, and each person should have their own individual mask. If you share a mask, it screws up the good seal for both parties.
Not horribly expensive to make sure everyone has their own mask.