• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Positioning Of Interactive Ads

uamcplyr

Not a winge as this is one of the few sites where I happily keep the adblocker off...

But do you guys have much control over the ads that get shown and their positioning? Specifically the ones that need to be clicked/tapped to shrink and/or disappear. It might just be me, but some of the ones I've seen over the past few days have been quite laggy and I'm on a relatively decent system without each core clocking in anywhere near 100% usage 🤔

This thread may help you? Don't have the chance yet to skim through it. Though I know we have discussed exactly what your talking about before somewhere here in this subsection of the forums.

This thread may help you? Don't have the chance yet to skim through it. Though I know we have discussed exactly what your talking about before somewhere here in this subsection of the forums.

Bah. Really should have searched, apologies. I'll have a read, thanks! And if it is covered there, sorry for the noise :D

To answer the question, only generally. Like "top", "middle", "in article", etc.

Google decides where to place things.

Cheers for clarifying!

Oddly enough, ads seem to perform just fine with Google Chrome even when funnelled through my VPN. Can't think why that could be :ROFLMAO:

Ah well, kick up the bum required to finally reinstall this machine and drop the Firefox dependency

Ah well, kick up the bum required to finally reinstall this machine and drop the Firefox dependency
I refuse to use Chrome. Lots of bugs in there for them to track you. If you feel the absolute need to use Chrome, use Chromium. That is what Google Chrome is based on, but it doesn't have the tracking software.

Donate and poof no more ads!

There is that solution :D

Was more curious if any of the ads were lagging for anyone else, to gauge whether I should bother using the Goggle Ad feedback thing to flag seemingly broken ones. Being at the bottom of the screen, taking 1/3 screen real estate and transitioning to hardly-visible was taking a cheekily long time on occasion. Problem solved for the most part now, though.

I refuse to use Chrome. Lots of bugs in there for them to track you. If you feel the absolute need to use Chrome, use Chromium. That is what Google Chrome is based on, but it doesn't have the tracking software.

I really would like to shift away from it but some sites (esp. work-related ones) are so utterly broken on anything but Chrome and Safari.

Have followed Chromium since the early days when it was a staple of hardcore Linux users, though, and the only reason I haven't made the switch is because of security updates (c.f. https://lwn.net/Articles/886609/)

Been more than a year since I last looked into it, maybe I should see if anything's changed since then...