Post Retirement Settlement Plans

DarkNoon

Power Poster
At the moment I have a pretty good shot of living in a SHTF scenario in Florida, so long as my boat works so I can live on one of many Islands in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico.

I am very fit and healthy for my age but long term in the future when my body starts to weaken of old age I don't know if I could pull off such a quick and intense getaway.

I have done very indepth research into location in the US where fallout patterns from targets and nuclear plants are safe. But with such a uncertainty with a nuclear winter or even a natural disaster with a cooling effect anywhere up north is a no go for me.

SO anyone here have done their own research into this and have any ideal location regional wise to settle down in and be safe after a global catastrophe event?

Always good to get other ideas and not base a plan alone with your thinking. Hope to hear from others who have also done some long term planning research on where to live for a SHTF scenario.
 

Obreid

Power Poster
Florida is a tough one the winds as I understand it can come from either direction and lots of military bases.
I’m down wind from Arkansas and Missouri bases so I have that. SW isn’t great because Mexico will expand and and the boarder will be wide open. It will be the Wild West from the git go. Either coast the pop in the cities will evacuate. Most sat at least 100 miles from large population.
Central Kentucky and Tennessee would be good I think away from pop. Central Idaho?
its a game of darts really.
isolation water climate resources
 

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
If it is a total global nuclear exchange SHTF scenario you're talking about, then the farther north and west you can get the safer you will be from long-term nuclear fallout. In that event, it's our plan to cross into Canada using our 4x4 across open land, far from checkpoints, and then make our way into the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Uncontaminated food and water will be plentiful.

In DarkNoon's case, the further south he can make it the better.

All that being said, with 21st century nuclear weapons, 90% of radioactive fallout will decay to safe levels within two weeks. The other 10% will definitely increase cancer rates and other health issues, but it wouldn't be Hollywood's version of eating a contaminated can of food and dropping dead immediately. But it would certainly increase the odds of a shorter life span.
 

DarkNoon

Power Poster
Well like I said it isn't just about nuclear war but even a natural disaster global cooling event. Which is why southern states are only really viable for me.

But really just looking into some insight if others have done extensive research as to where to move to in your long term plan to be safe in your latter years. Somewhere where one could be self-sufficient if need be where you wouldn't have to flee your homestead.
 

Obreid

Power Poster
Well like I said it isn't just about nuclear war but even a natural disaster global cooling event. Which is why southern states are only really viable for me.

But really just looking into some insight if others have done extensive research as to where to move to in your long term plan to be safe in your latter years. Somewhere where one could be self-sufficient if need be where you wouldn't have to flee your homestead.
Also have to think about the people who live in the region. Are they traditionally self m-reliant (survivors). Do they still have a culture of community and identity towards each other (looking out for each other).
It will make a big difference in their mindset. Do they already hunt and garden/farm, livestock. Do they have no problem defending themselves and neighbors and settling problems themselves. Those communities won’t be setting around waiting for agencies to show up to rescue them. They will be looking for solutions and there will be a lot to learn from them. Some might say being an outsider you might be ostracized and there would be some of that. But if you pitch in and are not part of the problem and wanting to help out. Then out of practicality and community they will accept you because of strength in numbers.
In hot climates look for older pre AC homes. Those old houses with high ceilings and windows were constructed to handle the heat and humidity. I lived most of my life in one. Designed well with natural ventilation even when it reaches 80-85 degrees and high humidity. It will be much more livable and everything won’t be susceptible to mold.
Think about areas with people like the Cajun Navy who showed up after the Hurricane hit Houston. Guys from all across Louisiana hooked up their bass boats and went to the flooded areas to help out where ever they could. There was no real plea for people to come help. They just turned out where ever they could.
 
Top