• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Posting Information in REPORTS Only Threads

Yes these forums are a one stop shop if you will. Get the anylisis and the news almost live sometimes.

But doesn't mean everything should be one big jambalaya soup.

It’s not, that’s why we have separate threads for different topics! Stop trying to change things… this whole news only crap is dumb. I refuse to do it!!!! Take that 😝

Plus it’s 99 percent from Twitter, if I want just reports I can go there. This site is for post and discussion. How the hell do we discuss what each event is about, make another thread posting the same exact thing and discussing the same exact thing. It’s stupid in my opinion!!!
I'm a designer with some UX experience - A Reddit style collapsible thread would be ideal here; The flat style of this forum doesn't lend itself to discussions going off on tangents without cluttering the thread.

Personally, I like the 'reports only' dated threads for catching up succinctly on the day's/previous night's events, especially when things are as fast-moving as Ukraine. But I also get a lot of insight from the in-depth debate and discussion threads. It's times like this a traditional forum board style feel a bit outdated - not Defcon in particular, just the web tech in general. I really appreciate all the info that folks take the time to add.

I'm a designer with some UX experience - A Reddit style collapsible thread would be ideal here; The flat style of this forum doesn't lend itself to discussions going off on tangents without cluttering the thread.

Personally, I like the 'reports only' dated threads for catching up succinctly on the day's/previous night's events, especially when things are as fast-moving as Ukraine. But I also get a lot of insight from the in-depth debate and discussion threads. It's times like this a traditional forum board style feel a bit outdated - not Defcon in particular, just the web tech in general. I really appreciate all the info that folks take the time to add.

So say if you find two different events in the middle of the news only post on page 6 and then another on page 8 that you really want to discuss. How do you intend to do that without wasting a bunch of time when your not sitting at a PC? Especially when your trying to respond to the Person who posted it???????

You can’t and that’s why it’s a bad idea!!!

Keeping these no discussion threads is really pissing me off because that’s not why I come here. It’s also why I have avoided this place and just sat on Twitter for awhile. I can at least put my 2 cents in what is posted there. If someone has a question I can answer them. I prefer this site a whole hell of a lot more but this topic will keep me from this site a lot!!

Last edited:
So say if you find two different events in the middle of the news only post on page 6 and then another on page 8 that you really want to discuss. How do you intend to do that without wasting a bunch of time when your not sitting at a PC? Especially when your trying to respond to the Person who posted it???????

You can’t and that’s why it’s a bad idea!!!
You can't with the current forum structure, but a Reddit style thread where replies can be hidden by default and expanded for deeper reading would be useful here I think.

And agreed, message boards on mobile are still clunky - that's why I like Reddit for text based stuff as I can collapse whole replies I'm not interested in. Twitter UX & UI is outdated now in my opinion too.

A live-updating forum would be nice too, to save the refresh button 😬

Your ideas sound good, but for some who can't use desktop, is it still easy for phone users? Might sound silly to tech savvy, but I struggle as is. 🤣😂🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah - Reddit style message boards are designed mobile first, so work perfectly in their app. This forum is web based, so isn't really optimised for mobile use (although works fine on my phone's browser). It's just small user experience/interface features from other apps that I've noticed over the years. Just thinking about posts in threads that have their own rabbit-holes of discussions, and how you could incorporate that; I've been on my fair share of forums over the years and this one goes the deepest on any one bit of news!

Yes the discussion do sometimes sideline the reporting. Especially in a situation like this.
We all do it sometimes and need reminded.
I actually feel bad when I take a report thread off topic. But we do our best and we have messy contentious debates and that is good.

But we do need to keep the reporting threads clean especially now because lurkers and occasional visitors come here for that and we should all try to encourage that.

It's an imperfect system, I'll admit. Some like Reports Only. Some like to be able to add a comment conveniently.

I like to keep different topics in different threads. It does get hard to follow when everything is all jumbled together.

I think DarkNoon has the best compromise. Just select, cut, and post to new thread. It's the best solution I can think of with this software. Would be nice if there was a Quote-To-New-Thread option. Alas, there is not. I looked.

Yes you just quote whatever you want to discuss, select all, cut, then post it in discussion thread.
It's an imperfect system, I'll admit. Some like Reports Only. Some like to be able to add a comment conveniently.

I like to keep different topics in different threads. It does get hard to follow when everything is all jumbled together.

I think DarkNoon has the best compromise. Just select, cut, and post to new thread. It's the best solution I can think of with this software. Would be nice if there was a Quote-To-New-Thread option. Alas, there is not. I looked.

The problem is, the person your trying to talk to might not even be in that thread. Nothing is jumbled because we are all talking about the same issue!
Now if someone wants to talk about Iran firing off missiles in the Ukrainian thread then I can see that but thinking every little event about the Ukrainian war is different somehow and that makes it jumbled well, that just doesn’t make sense. It needs to stay in the same place.

There was never a problem with anything till these new staff members showed up with their own ideas how to make something out of nothing! Be the boss and put your foot down on these young whipper snappers. You shouldn’t have to cut copy and paste just to use the forum!!!