• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Queen Elizabeth II Has Died #9/8/22

I find it culturally amazing how much attention and energy people focus on the royal family despite their country now being run by a parliamentary representative government instead of the monarchy. Even people in America - myself included - woke up a 3am to watch Princess Diana's wedding. I understand to some extent on a intellectual level why this is so, but I still find it fascinating. I have an uncle who is British. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about it.

that makes her interested in all this.
Well it is also history. So... I've been following it and watching all the ceremonies and such because later in life I can say "yes I remember that" or "yes i lived through it" and give a decent story about it later in life.

Besides that,... it's just good to witness and learn from history for multitudes of reasons.

People love dreams, ceremonies, weddings, coronations, even funerals are done in a lavish way, and that's fine. On the other hand, their uses?... the British crown is only a symbol, I doubt that it influences the heart of things in this world.

All eyes on the queenโ€™s funeral.

We donโ€™t know whoโ€™ll be there yet, but considering how many states are in the commonwealth + how many people care, this will probably be the biggest amount of state leaders at a non-diplomatic event in history.

And as a result probably the biggest security operation in history.
Putin has been uninvited as a result of the Ukraine war. Biden has been invited.

This only applies to the older paper-based notes in circulation. I've been trying to get rid of a stash of paper ยฃ20s for months! They are all being replaced with polymer notes. Here in Scotland we've had Royal Bank of Scotland polymer notes for a few years now. Cash notes and coins will be in circulation for a while longer yet thankfully. I also read that coins currently being minted will still bear ol' Lizzies heid, with Chaz's coming soon (facing to the right).

This only applies to the older paper-based notes in circulation. I've been trying to get rid of a stash of paper ยฃ20s for months! They are all being replaced with polymer notes. Here in Scotland we've had Royal Bank of Scotland polymer notes for a few years now. Cash notes and coins will be in circulation for a while longer yet thankfully. I also read that coins currently being minted will still bear ol' Lizzies heid, with Chaz's coming soon (facing to the right).
I like collecting foreign money. I'll take one of 'em. :)