• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

***Read Before Participating in The Politics Section***

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
Politics is controversial and emotional. Each day it seems more and more so.

If you choose to take part in the Politics section, remember that people from all sides participate here. Be sure to debate the position and not the person. Avoid using personal words like "you" and "your".

Above all, understand that it is very unlikely that you are going to change someone's mind here, so try to keep your passion under control.

An unwritten rule that has served very well here is to "Agree To Disagree."

Expressing an opinion or making an argument contrary to majority belief will always require a stronger degree academic rigor in order to be considered or taken seriously by the majority. Why? Because the arguer must overcome engrained beliefs, established facts (right or wrong), and long standing biases. But that does not mean one cannot make a contrary argument. One just has to do it in a valid, rational, cogent, and logical manner, along with good sources. If the arguer invalidates their own argument, there's less of a chance of changing someone's mind (let alone winning the debate).

I like to follow the approach below. I find I can still have a spirited debate even in this framework. This is by no means complete.
  1. Focus the argument on one or two essential points.
  2. Avoid name calling, attacks against an opponent (ad hominem ), strong emotional language, or appeals to emotion. These are logical fallacies and invalidate an argument. This includes racist language, sexism, and all the other negative -isms.
  3. Avoid assigning a position to an opponent that they did not directly state themselves. This is called "straw man", and invalidates an argument.
  4. Avoid getting sidetracked on a significant issue that is not central to the argument being made or underlying premises. This is called "red herring", and invalidates an argument. (Appeals to emotion may also be considered "red herring".)
  5. Avoid long sequences of events that could lead to certain outcome based on the one decision being argued. This is called "slippery slope", and invalidates an argument.
  6. Always argue with grace and tolerance. Allow the opponent an out if a fact or premise has been misinterpreted by an opponent. Be willing to admit when a fact or premise in a position being argued is wrong or does not support the argument. Admit when a situation exists that may not support an argument, and explain why that might situation may not be relevant to the argument. Use this as a means to strengthen an argument.
  7. Never pour all energy and soul into an argument. This is not medicine, nor does it involve the decision to launch nukes. It is not life or death. Be willing accept the fact that an argued position, no matter how logical, sourced, or well argued that position may be, the position could be unpopular and not accepted by the audience. I never take my arguments here so seriously that it peaks my stress levels or endangers relationships with others.
  8. The arguer should be willing to have a good laugh at his or her own missteps.
That's my take. Do this, and I think anyone arguing a point can avoid being banned and may succeed in changing a mind or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.