Reasonable or paranoid? Spending the next few weeks off the grid

Green

I am considering spending the next few weeks off the grid, depending on what happens in the next day or two.
It is very nerve wracking living in a big city with all this political turmoil going on.
Paranoid, or reasonable?

Drumboy44

DEFCON Staff
Staff member
Green said:
I am considering spending the next few weeks off the grid, depending on what happens in the next day or two.
It is very nerve wracking living in a big city with all this political turmoil going on.
Paranoid, or reasonable?

Always got to be ready to execute your emergency plain. Obviously you have gathered information that leads you to raise your personal-defcon level. This can be a good thing. Keeping you ready at all times. But don't lose your life trying to save it....if that makes any sense at all. :cool:

Zer0

Green said:
Paranoid, or reasonable?

If I had land elsewhere, I'd be there! Rule one: GET OUT OF CITIES!!! If something happens in Korea god forbid, we will see chaos everywhere in this country. Martial law may be imposed, due to the crazies getting a free day to act insane. Make sure all your preps are in order, make sure all weapons function and have ammo! Make sure all fuel is topped off etc. This will certainly have an impact on us if something happens. The economy can tank, a million scenarios can happen from this one event. I for one don't have a retreat location, I do have a rifle and pistols with ammo ready to go if need be. Make sure you keep your eyes open on your land or other location for possible marauders. Many people will not be prepared and will try and take whats yours. Shoot first ask questions later! Lets just all hope and pray NOTHING happens!! Godspeed

apollonights

Green said:
Paranoid, or reasonable?
As a practice exercise I'd say it is a good idea, assuming you don't have a job that will miss you being gone for the next three weeks. All of East Asia could go up in nuclear hellfire and if you have a job that needs to be done and money to be made those obligations don't end.

Basically what I'm saying is that even if we go to a full on war short of a worse case scenario which is still unlikely (A U.S.-Sino War that goes nuclear or god forbid North Korea's biological weapons program is extremely advanced and gets released). Also have you considered relocating to a more rural environment in general beyond this current crisis? The world is becoming more dangerous and if you don't like the city and can afford to move maybe you should do so?

EJ1977

Anyone in NY westchester county? I am in westchester county, Indian point is up the road. Assuming this would be a primary target. I am completely new to all this, so I am not prepared, no experience with any of this. Not sure what course of actions I should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Queens. If Indian Point melts down you and I are toast. I'm trying not to think about it. I'm not able to relocate at all due to job, kids, aging parents, so I'm just stocking up on bottled water, water purification tablets, potassium iodide tablets, non-perishable food, OTC meds, candles, and stuff like that. I'm not an expert prepper by any means (though I've lurked on a lot of the sites for awhile) but it seems like you can't go wrong having a few months supply of stuff if you've got the space and just get ready to hunker down.

apollonights

EJ1977 said:
Anyone in NY westchester county? I am in westchester county, Indian point is up the road. Assuming this would be a primary target. I am completely new to all this, so I am not prepared, no experience with any of this. Not sure what course of actions I should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Against who? Only the Russians have an arsenal large enough to target a secondary target like Indian Point. I suppose the Chinese MIGHT target it in the event of an all out Sino-American War with a nuclear exchange but they have a limited number of delivery vehicles and would likely aim for Manhattan itself.

It could be a target for sabotage, though. Personally, I'm not that worried about nuclear missiles raining down on us here --if things get to the point that we're in a direct nuclear war with Russia or china the whole NY metro area will be taken out in the first round anyway. And if the Soviets held off all during the cold war I think they'll hold off now.

No, what I'm worried about is emp, infrastructure sabotage, biological or chemical attacks here, cyber attacks or other take overs of nuclear plants, etc. Either by nk sleeper cells or by opportunistic terrorist groups.

Doc

Green said:
Paranoid, or reasonable?

"You do not rise to the occation, you sink to the level of traning"