Russia-Moldova/Transnistria | 2022

DarkNoon

Dedicated Moderator
Staff member
⚠️⚠️
Citizens from around the world are urged to get out of Moldova as soon as possible. The situation seems to be deteriorating and the Russian war in eastern Europe looks to widen.

Please reframe from any panic posting. Only post somthing productive to say or contribute to reporting/anylisis.

From here on out Moldova will get it's own time stamp like the Ukraine reporting thread. If things become to crazy here I will split this just like the Ukraine thread in Report only and Discussion only threads.
⚠️⚠️

Last edited:

Spyglass

I think now we have some truly legitimate reasoning for concern at this point that things will begin the process of spiraling. I initially expected the campaign in Ukraine to end before Putin made his moves on Moldova, because geographically and strategically, it made sense for Putin to expand, but I didn’t anticipate it this quickly.

With multiple countries now in the fold, this is in the beginning stages of a true regional war. We should see more troops, weapons, and armor being deployed closer to Russia’s border, along with more intense condemning rhetoric from the West, along with more covert attacks against soft targets and within Russia.

I fear that as this continues, we could see a similar buildup to how World War Two began, a country being invaded here, a country invaded there… then the whole world realizes only too late, that the enemy must be stopped.

Once China hits Taiwan, which would make sense to be any day now… that could be the spark that ignites the World War we all fear.

May God help us all.

Splinters

I don't think Russia has the physical capability of invading Moldova right now. Destabilization is a much more realistic threat. For what it's worth.

doggie015

Russia seems to be looking for any kind of win as their victory day approaches. However, I suspect that invading Moldova would go even worse for Russia than Ukraine.

Spyglass

I don't think Russia has the physical capability of invading Moldova right now. Destabilization is a much more realistic threat. For what it's worth.
Moldova is tiny. Very small country, with only 7,500 active duty troops at the most, and 75,000 or so in reserve. They spend $28 million annually on their military, which is pocket change compared to larger nations. With the aid of a few hundred conventional ballistic missiles fired from the Black Sea at hard targets, a limited air campaign, a few tank battalions, and 10,000 or so troops, Russia could very easily take half the country if not more in a few short days. Russia has that on tap, as much as we are being led to believe they don’t by the West.

Moldova needs a general mobilization NOW, before Russia has the chance to strike, otherwise it will be game over for them.

Splinters

Moldova is tiny. Very small country, with only 7,500 active duty troops at the most, and 75,000 or so in reserve. They spend $28 million annually on their military, which is pocket change compared to larger nations. With the aid of a few hundred conventional ballistic missiles fired from the Black Sea at hard targets, a limited air campaign, a few tank battalions, and 10,000 or so troops, Russia could very easily take half the country if not more in a few short days. Russia has that on tap, as much as we are being led to believe they don’t by the West.

Moldova needs a general mobilization NOW, before Russia has the chance to strike, otherwise it will be game over for them.
Maybe if Russia was fighting the war competently. As it stands I think Moldova can atleast make them hurt. It would make zero sense to invade Moldova, but it would make sense to try and destabilize the country.

DarkNoon

Dedicated Moderator
Staff member
Nations especially on this scale don't tell their citizens to leave a country unless they think its absolutely necessary for their safty.

What else could possibly happen in Moldova other then a invasion or attack to warrant such a evacuation of people. The West certainly seems to think somthing is about to go down.

DarkNoon

Dedicated Moderator
Staff member
Not only that this doesn't seem like a logical move for Putin to make right now. Which makes me worry Putin is definitely not thinking clearly...

I don't think nuclear war will happen over Moldova. But looking at the bigger picture... Not sure if I can say Putin won't attempt a attack against a NATO member now.

Spyglass

Nations especially on this scale don't tell their citizens to leave a country unless they think its absolutely necessary for their safty.

What else could possibly happen in Moldova other then a invasion or attack to warrant such a evacuation of people. The West certainly seems to think somthing is about to go down.
Same thing happened weeks before Russia hit Ukraine. No reason to believe this is any different. I agree with you, DarkNoon.

Onoya

Not only that this doesn't seem like a logical move for Putin to make right now. Which makes me worry Putin is definitely not thinking clearly...

I don't think nuclear war will happen over Moldova. But looking at the bigger picture... Not sure if I can say Putin won't attempt a attack against a NATO member now.
Maybe Transnistria felt threatened between Ukraine and Moldova, and then asked more help from Russia? especially in those tense days

I do agree with you tho

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Transnistria is of strategic importance to Russia due to its proximity to Odessa. If he wants all of southern Ukraine, it makes sense for him to secure eastern Moldova - which can offer no true resistance on the scale Ukraine has - from which he can easily launch attacks on Odessa.

Obreid

Power Poster III
I think now we have some truly legitimate reasoning for concern at this point that things will begin the process of spiraling. I initially expected the campaign in Ukraine to end before Putin made his moves on Moldova, because geographically and strategically, it made sense for Putin to expand, but I didn’t anticipate it this quickly.

With multiple countries now in the fold, this is in the beginning stages of a true regional war. We should see more troops, weapons, and armor being deployed closer to Russia’s border, along with more intense condemning rhetoric from the West, along with more covert attacks against soft targets and within Russia.

I fear that as this continues, we could see a similar buildup to how World War Two began, a country being invaded here, a country invaded there… then the whole world realizes only too late, that the enemy must be stopped.

Once China hits Taiwan, which would make sense to be any day now… that could be the spark that ignites the World War we all fear.

May God help us all.
Have you seen any reports on mobilizations or positioning of landing ships.
Not saying your wrong, just wanting to know if your seeing some reports I’ve missed. Or is it just a 20,000 ft view leaving this impression on you.
There has been an increase in PLAF incursions into Taiwan’s AIZ.
And chinas upset because the US sailed a destroyer in the straights of Taiwan.

DarkNoon

Dedicated Moderator
Staff member
Small side note. I know it's not 1st of May. But to make it easier on the header/title just rounded up only a day away anyways. 🤷‍♂️

Spyglass

Have you seen any reports on mobilizations or positioning of landing ships.
Not saying your wrong, just wanting to know if your seeing some reports I’ve missed. Or is it just a 20,000 ft view leaving this impression on you.
There has been an increase in PLAF incursions into Taiwan’s AIZ.
And chinas upset because the US sailed a destroyer in the straights of Taiwan.
No reports as of yet… although I expect we will begin seeing reports like this… an exact timetable is not something I can give, but I have that feeling in my stomach. The last time I got this feeling was January 7th, 2020, when I saw the first reports of an unknown virus coming out of Wuhan. It was that moment then…I knew the world was going to change.

Like you said, 20,000ft view. Looking at all the major pieces, and everything leading up to today, and this particular news, I think we are in for something major in the not too distant future.