Salman Rushdie Stabbed

REALHumanRights

Power Poster
Author Salman Rushdie was attacked and stabbed at an event in New York State, sent to hospital via helicopter. The attacker was arrested, and an AP reporter knocked to ground.

From New York State Police: "State Police are investigating an attack on author Salman Rushdie prior to a speaking event at the Chautauqua Institution in Chautauqua, NY. On August 12, 2022, at about 11 a.m., a male suspect ran up onto the stage and attacked Rushdie and an interviewer. Rushdie suffered an apparent stab wound to the neck, and was transported by helicopter to an area hospital. His condition is not yet known. The interviewer suffered a minor head injury. A State Trooper assigned to the event immediately took the suspect into custody. The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene."

Irag8er

Salman Rushdie still in surgery. Stabbed "up to 15 times".... while security/police was standing off-stage - author was stabbed repeatedly with no protection for over 30 seconds, I could see from video.
Sickening! Very aggravating that after 30 odd years, he’s attacked in New York. The suspect is probably already out and on his way to some Iranian friendly consulate.

REALHumanRights

Power Poster
Sickening! Very aggravating that after 30 odd years, he’s attacked in New York. The suspect is probably already out and on his way to some Iranian friendly consulate.
No he is Hadi Matar, 24, from Fairview, NJ, and is custody as per the NYSP police press conference.

REALHumanRights

Power Poster
As an activist who has spoken at a number of events myself, while under threat from wide range of extremists, I can really sympathesize with the great threat and courage of 75-year-old Sir Salman Rushdie. Sir Rushdie has been divorced since 2007, wow, 15 years. It is tough to get old by yourself in any case, especially his case.

The challenge is once you get into your 60s and 70s, the vicious threat of physical violence at public events is simply too much, to have a constant 360 degree assessment while speaking, and be able to react to any random threat. And the idea of private security is a great idea, but as you get older, you also have less disposable income for that. Not everyone is Trump and Biden with their security armies.

If you have others who are relying on you, maybe in your 60s, definitely by 65, maybe you put a stop to speaking at public events. My last event was a 2020 protest at the Communist China embassy in Washington DC; maybe I will be back in 2024. Or not. If you are used to public speaking events and demonstrations, it is tough to consider, "its not safe at my age to do this anymore." While it is one thing to take on extremists in your 40s and 50s, there has to be a time, when you step back, and don't give young extremists an easy public target for publicity and gory fame.

I am praying for Sir Rushdie's health, but also that if God willing, if he should survive this latest brutal attack, maybe there is a quiet and safe place for him to retire and not be a target for any young extremist criminal.

REALHumanRights

Power Poster
75-year-old Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator, unable to speak in a Pennsylvania hospital. Agent Andrew Wylie: "Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged." Prayers for his healing and his ability to breath again without a mechancial ventilator, soon, to improve his chance of survival.

Very tough being so seriously injured in your 70s. And if you are a controversial human rights and free speech activist disabled in your 70s, who is going to take care of you? A care home for activists? No. His wife who divorced him 15 years ago? It is a tough tough time for Salman Rushdie. I hope some of those advocating for him can collectively find solutions for his care, should God Willing he continue to survive, and get off ventilator. Tough, tough times, and the cruelty of a vicious world.

(Reminder: Salman is one year younger than Trump, and nearly four years younger than Biden.)

REALHumanRights

Power Poster
Salman Rushdie - Attacked author now recovering - "Salman Rushdie off ventilator and talking, day after attack"

Note to MODERATOR: is there any way to correct spelling of name in topic heading from "Salmon Rushdie" to "Salman Rushdie"?

Last edited: