Stage 1 preps

lcurle

Activated my stage 1 preps. 30 day supply of water and food reserves stocked, water bobs on standby, 100 gallons of gas for generator. Medical kits inventoried and medications/antibiotics checked.

This weekend likely sees me completing an expedient shelter, and digging a generator pit. As well as assessing current preparation levels, adjusting purchases, moving money into tangible means over the next 4 to 7 days.

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
I always keep between 30 and 50 gallons of gasoline on hand at any given time. Roughly how long should this run a standard 3500W generator?

Our EAP for DEFCON 4 includes a complete review of all stored supplies, so we're in pretty good shape. That being said I am making a trip to Aldi and Gander Mountain after work today to pick up additional items. I do not like how we are messing with Russia on one front and China on another. President Trump has just demonstrated he is willing to use military force against another sovereign country. This increases the odds of military actions against DPRK.

Gen Jack D. Ripper

I fulled the gas tank of the cards yesterday. Good idea, gas went up 9cents/liter a couple of hours after.

The iodine pills are in stock, water and food for a couple of weeks.

Drumboy44

DEFCON Staff
Staff member
Gen Jack D. Ripper said:
I fulled the gas tank of the cards yesterday. Good idea, gas went up 9cents/liter a couple of hours after.

Can I request to know what food you have stocked?

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Drumboy44 said:
Gen Jack D. Ripper said:

Can I request to know what food you have stocked?

I know that was directed at Drumboy, but just for reference:

90 days worth of non-perishables, including:

Raman soups (if you're starting from scratch, this is the biggest bang for your buck)
Bottled water
Canned fruit & vegetables
Canned soups
Canned salmon
Canned ravioli
Canned beef stew
Canned ham
Spam
Honey
Peanut butter
Salt
Flour
Sugar
Drink mixes (to help bottled water taste better)

We buy cheap generic items for our shelter supplies, figuring even if they don't taste as good as name brand, we'll consider it fine dining within a week of SHTF.

We also buy the $1 shot bottles of whiskey and tequila here and there, slowly stocking up on them. My wife and I don't drink, but they will be worth 100 times their weight in gold for trading purposes.

Also just purchased a new compound bow for my wife. Nice silent weapon, and we can share the ammunition. :mrgreen:

Zer0

lcurle said:
Activated my stage 1 preps. 30 day supply of water and food reserves stocked, water bobs on standby, 100 gallons of gas for generator. Medical kits inventoried and medications/antibiotics checked.

I have this feeling as well. However, I need to start getting more water in place, along with more non perishable food. Also medical supplies need to be topped off and ammo count needs to be at my base minimum of 1,000 rounds per firearm.

As it stands;
Water 10 gallons stored
2 weeks non perishable foods
medical supplies sub par levels
Ammo 200 rounds short on rifle
Batteries low quantities
No radiation detection equipment at all
No supplies for an expedient shelter
So my preps need to be increased ten fold and building materials need to at least be stored at my dwelling.

Zer0

lcurle said:
Since Thursday I have upped our water count to 210 gallons, expanded non perishable to 60 days (family of 4)

Excellent, also unrelated just a thought, I watched Threads last night for the first time in 30 years. There is a part in the movie where the local government goes house to house of known survivors ordering the home owner to take in the homeless, I found that very chilling. Not that I would be opposed to the helping of others, just not on the governments terms only on my terms. I think it would make sense to have a hidden stache of food and water buried in case unwelcome guests get invited by the local powers that be. BTW your food stores seem to be solid. Make sure you have plenty of ammo and spare parts for all your firearms.

lcurle

Zer0 said:
lcurle said:
Since Thursday I have upped our water count to 210 gallons, expanded non perishable to 60 days (family of 4)

Excellent, also unrelated just a thought, I watched Threads last night for the first time in 30 years. There is a part in the movie where the local government goes house to house of known survivors ordering the home owner to take in the homeless, I found that very chilling. Not that I would be opposed to the helping of others, just not on the governments terms only on my terms. I think it would make sense to have a hidden stache of food and water buried in case unwelcome guests get invited by the local powers that be. BTW your food stores seem to be solid. Make sure you have plenty of ammo and spare parts for all your firearms.

Stocked full, in my signature I refer to my SOP, two is one and one is none.

Zer0

lcurle said:
Zer0 said:
lcurle said:

Stocked full, in my signature I refer to my SOP, two is one and one is none.

Words to live by sir!

lcurle

If you have a military surplus around your area, they have some good stuff in there at times. Plastic water and gas cans are generally cheap and durable. Ammo cans are fairly expensive for what they provide. The local on near me sells cases of MRE's for $75 which is not a bad deal if they are not dated to far out. Rucksacks and assault packs are a dime a dozen and quick for if you have to transition to on foot due to a vehicle breakdown.

If you have smaller kids (under 14) it is a good idea to get a few nerf guns and have them practice some basic movements like crossing the street (Flags out) and bounding overwatch.