• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Stay or Go

Our site has a couple documents that may be helpful. They are nuclear planning docs used by FEMA. Outdated, but still a good read.

Blast effects: http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/documents/Nucelar%20Attack%20Planning%20Base%20-%20Direct%20Effects.pdf
Fallout: http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/documents/Nucelar%20Attack%20Planning%20Base%20-%20Fallout%20Risks.pdf

DEFCONWarningSystem said:
Our site has a couple documents that may be helpful. They are nuclear planning docs used by FEMA. Outdated, but still a good read.

Blast effects: http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/documents/Nucelar%20Attack%20Planning%20Base%20-%20Direct%20Effects.pdf
Fallout: http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/documents/Nucelar%20Attack%20Planning%20Base%20-%20Fallout%20Risks.pdf

Those were a huge help, thank you. :)

So my rea is a target on a map (Richmond, Ky. Bluegrass Army Depot- Munitions storage and distribution, parts for armored vehicles, maintenance, and Chemical weapons storage) I mostly typed that just to see what all it does here and how big of a target it may be. there is only 15-20 active Army personnel here but also a KYNG armory and a Reserve center

I'm in Tampa ! Have known my whole life that MacDill AFB will be the 1st or 2nd strike. I've just always accepted that I literally won't even know it happened.

I live in Fairfax county, VA, about 15 mi from DC and 5 mi from Dulles Int. Airport, so I have no options to stay. Thankfully, it seems the immediate full exchange scenario of the Cold War, even with current tensions, remains a relic. Nowadays if nukes were to be hurled, I think we'll see a conflict escalation from conventional to tactical to finally strategic, giving situation aware individuals (such as those on this form) adequate time to bugger out. For me, I plan to go up to family about 60 mi west of Pittsburgh, a place with great farm land (necessity for rebuilding society after an exchange) and an abundance of game for hunting. For example, if airstrikes against Assad are approved, Ill gtfo.
As for supplies, I plan on making a Tupperware box (60 gallons) for each person in my family, stocked with enough food (PB and honey, also supplements) for a month, survival equipment, a change of clothes and a sleeping bag. Also, a group box containing ammo, a Geiger counter, a radio plus other necessities.
We'd anxiously wait a month in shelter and hope to come out a blue sky, not a grey one.

I know a place now that you said that, hopefully we will have enough warning to go to PA

Me and the wifey whom I adored for 41 years live in Northeast Florida. If anything Florida is infested with mission critical strategic offensive or NORAD EADS SE/CONUS defensive military assets, there isn't one region within the 67 counties that a nuclear equipped adversary wouldn't consider preemptive first strike counterforce or second strike retaliatory countervalue targets. The common consensus at Tyndall is the Russian Typhoons wont approach the Florida coast due to the SOSUS grid but will launch their SLBM's in depressed trajectory mode from somewhere due Northeast of the Bahamas. I'm not up on the new SLCM technology if the Russians are even in parody with our SSGN's with that but either way I don't think the Sunshine state would fare well at all even in a limited nuclear exchange. Stay or go? Me & the wifey are staying put, I mean where would we go? We lived a good long life & if the sun rises twice, we'll just take a sleeping pill, a sip of wine & hopefully if GOD allows us we'll wake up free of pain & suffering in Heaven. Thanks for reading.

I looked at moving to Florida for a bit. Then I saw all the nuclear targets and said No Way. :eek:
I hear there's a real nice home for sale alongside a mountain near Cheyenne. I think it's beneath all the black spots on this map. Not sure what that could mean. Wouldn't worry about though - it's a real nice house. Cheap too.
Target_Map_Cheyenne.jpg

Navarro said:
I looked at moving to Florida for a bit. Then I saw all the nuclear targets and said No Way. :eek:
I hear there's a real nice home for sale alongside a mountain near Cheyenne. I think it's beneath all the black spots on this map. Not sure what that could mean. Wouldn't worry about though - it's a real nice house. Cheap too.
Target_Map_Cheyenne.jpg

Those black dots are thin mints. I love thin mints!

Those black dots are thin mints. I love thin mints!
Just took a closer look at that map, and I think you're right!
Target_Map_Cheyenne_3.jpg

I've also got a barely used car for sale if anyone's interested. Runs great - doesn't break down at all.

The only defence for the citizen is to be else where before the kablammo starts. Yes, you can hunker in the bunker; yes, the rad count drops rapidly with time. You can can take some pretty heavy fall-out with even moderate preparation, even improvised measures, if you're lucky, have a deep basement and a modicum of time to improve your position re: shovelling a minimum three foot packed earth berm around exposed foundations and overheads, improvising filtration, having food and water for a minimum of two weeks? A month?
Then what? At two weeks on, the rad count has decayed down to just sub-lethal for short periods of exposure. You are still taking a cumulative dose that will add up to bad trouble in short order. So, forget about sortieing out to forage. Unless your hole has the highest protection factor, you are going to be taking a cumulative dose that will leave you incapacitated. Unless you are able to wait out years in the hole, you will be running out of food and water, hygiene and sanitation will have become impossible, your immune system degraded, the door wide open to the usual outriders of disaster.
So, once the rad count has decayed enough to permit it, you are going to have to make the run through gamma country to get out, and you'll have to get out before you fry. You'll be exfiltrating on foot, unless you're lucky; over roads damaged or choked with wreckage and irradiated, mangled, desperate refugees and such psychotic, armed bandito's as the policeman. (See: Aftermath of Katrina, or any cop on a good day). Bridges, refineries, railyards, airports and dams are all prime targets, you may not be able to get anywhere.
I say exfiltrate because your state will have had time to place a cordon sanitare to control refugee movements from strike areas as the civil defence (harharhar) and remnants of the state control monad will be long past trying to 'help', and will be fighting for survival (see: Aftermath of Katrina, add radiological mayhem, fear and panic, breakdown of civil order, roving bands of war-lord cops.) You will have to fight your way out, all while taking that cumulative rad dose.
Best be elsewhere before the flash comes. We all dodged a bullet in the last election, but this is a very temporary reprieve, and I have total confidence that this mess is beyond resolution. The pooch will be screwed, the goat will be fcuked.