Taiwan & China Crisis

william

We did not lose in either war. In Korea we stopped the offensive when Truman fired MacArthur and in Vietnam we chose to pull out. I do agree that the politicians tied the hands of our troops though. When war is the only way turn it over to the generals. The politicians can hide in their bunkers wringing their hands till it's over. Sherman said, make it so terrible they will not want to fight again!

Obreid

Power Poster
We did not lose in either war. In Korea we stopped the offensive when Truman fired MacArthur and in Vietnam we chose to pull out. I do agree that the politicians tied the hands of our troops though. When war is the only way turn it over to the generals. The politicians can hide in their bunkers wringing their hands till it's over. Sherman said, make it so terrible they will not want to fight again!
It’s sad but it’s true, in a way Germany and Japan did us a favor by refusing to surrender till they had nothing left but spit balls.
For example, we shouldn’t get troops into Ukraine unless were prepared to go all the way to Moscow. Same for Taiwan.

Finish this damn 70 year old war or don’t fight it.

But we’ll do it all over again with blurry goals and half measures.

It’s sad but it’s true, in a way Germany and Japan did us a favor by refusing to surrender till they had nothing left but spit balls.
For example, we shouldn’t get troops into Ukraine unless were prepared to go all the way to Moscow. Same for Taiwan.

Finish this damn 70 year old war or don’t fight it.

But we’ll do it all over again with blurry goals and half measures.
Because politics is driven by power it's always necessary for everyone on every side to drape it in something that looks less cold and cynical to the public, and I think that leads to a lot of situations where wars appear to have blurry goals. They start on false stated goals, then end without said goals having been met...because those goals weren't actually the reason for the war. Similarly, half-measures are perceived sometimes because military action is taken that falls short of public threat inflation of an enemy force because the threat isn't actually as huge as rhetoric suggested. Therefore the half-measure was really a full measure plus fear-mongering propaganda.

Specific countries will understandably go under this lens whenever it's brought up, but it's unfortunately the nature of international politics. Someone I respect calls the field 'an international poker game where everybody's cheating' and I've yet to find a better description. Sifting through political noise to find the truth from the outside in a crisis is made deliberately difficult by the participants in said crisis. Hence discussions like this, which are valuable and necessary to try to parse out the important information.