• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

The horror! No pay for striking workers

DEFCON Warning System

Director
Staff member
The AP ran a hit article on West Virginia, describing why people are leaving the State. (It was one of the few States to lose population during the last census.)

Part of it quoted Rebecca Recco who left the State. One of the reasons she stated was because of withholding teacher pay during labor strikes.

Moving was about more than just better pay. She described an anti-union, anti-teacher sentiment, including new laws passed by the Legislature creating charter schools and withholding teacher pay during labor strikes.
Ummm...did something change that I wasn't aware about? Are employers expected to continue paying workers who strike now?

Why do I call the article a hit piece? It celebrates Recco for moving from W Virginia and her $42,000/year pay as an art teacher to Oakland, CA where she earns $68,000. A raise in pay? Sure. Did they mention the (much) higher cost of living? Nope.

Hey we need to pay the teachers better I mean it's not about the teacher but our future generations that will take over after we are gone. IMO teachers deserve more money than any other basic government job.

Yeah screw the teachers for being liberal douches just as bad as all the conservative cock roaches BUT if the teachers are happy they will do their job right in teaching our future leaders.

BUT I AGREE you strike you shouldn't get paid. I wouldn't pay my workers if they strike I'd go to the nearest Home Depo and hire temporarily a whole new staff for half the wage until I can strike a deal with the old staff. (Unfortunately you cant hire illegal immigrant for teachers so in the end the students lose in a strike....)

I see this phrase branded about quite a lot, but it is always lite on specifics.

How much should we pay teachers to be "enough"?
Well in particular IMO it should be 30 percent more than living cost in the area. So you make 30 percent more or greater than your living cost as a teacher,... it's what we owe to them for teaching our future leaders. Ensuring they have everything they need and JUST a little more.

Also should be the same for cops/police!

Ummm...did something change that I wasn't aware about? Are employers expected to continue paying workers who strike now?
No like I said I'd find a cheap workforce to replace them temporarily. If you don't do the job you do not get paid period.

But don't get me wrong we need to pay certain public sectors better it's what we owe to them for their civic duties to nation and community....

Edit:
I mean cops don't become cops for the money they do it to serve the nation & community. SAME for teachers.......

My problem isnโ€™t that teachers might be paid to much.
im more concerned with the agendas in curriculum of the education system.
If the schools were producing a better outcome most of the complaints over teachers pay would go away.
Do the job to achieve the goals not adequate pay and the pay would quickly follow.

Her complaint over charter schools is so transparent as well. Their still union they still teach right. Itโ€™s just that thereโ€™s expectation to improve results above a sub-marginal level.
That and curriculum control is taken from the national level and given back to the local.

Her complaint over charter schools is so transparent as well. Their still union they still teach right.
Yes private schooling is a hot topic issue from here to Europe. You have atheist whom say schools should just teach facts and you have religious schools that teach the same thing but also teach theology on the side of curriculum...

But again it doesn't matter what teachers believe they are teaching our future and they along with police at least deserve more than the people whom pick up my trash.......

complaint over charter schools is so transparent
Also I feel you are mixing college or university Professors. That is a simple fix. Don't like what the college/university speaks pick a different one.

What I am talking about is first and secondary education where children NOR the teachers have a choice of location or what is taught.

NOT TALKING Higher/Adult education where colleges/universities and professors can preach whatever the hell they want..... which is a problem but AGAIN totaly 100% separate issues from first/secondary education...

Last edited:
But again it doesn't matter what teachers believe they are teaching our future and they along with police at least deserve more than the people whom pick up my trash.......
Not if what they are teaching is insufficient or contradictory to our foundations.
no one gets a free pass for showing up. We raised our children in a specific school district to overcome this.

Also I feel you are mixing college or university Professors. That is a simple fix. Don't like what the college/university speaks pick a different one.

What I am talking about is first and secondary education where children NOR the teachers have a choice of location or what is taught.

NOT TALKING Higher/Adult education where colleges/universities and professors can preach whatever the hell they want..... which is a problem but AGAIN totaly 100% separate issues from first/secondary education...
Charter schools are an option for primary and secondary. They are a viable solutions for parents who donโ€™t have the luxury of moving.