Two US Carrier Groups in the South China Sea as China performs naval drills in the area

Obreid

Power Poster
does anybody see how a war breaking out between the US and China in the SCS could actually escalate to ww3? I don't see how it could go beyond a regional east asian war, only way i see how is if russia intervenes on the side of the chinese which is damn near impossible.
Really I believe it boils down to how committed both sides are to not backing down.
That and how bad the initial conflict are.
Very few in The US want or would support a war now.
Only a direct attack on the US or sinking a carrier would move the needle at home for wider conflict.
As far as a scenario that would lead to a direct and rapid escalation beyond Asia the one real way would be if the CCP was on the verge of falling. If they believe their going to lose power then they have nothing to lose in escalating the situation. It offeres them an out by possibly involving others and possibly even defeating the US with their own form of shock and awe.

Always be aware of China’s propaganda tools at work in the US currently. They are by far the most dangerous weapon of war China has to use against America and make no mistake they are and have been fully engaged with us on that front.

KimPossible

Power Poster
I don't know if there is a specific definition of what a "world war" is. Is there?
Google says this:
a war involving many large nations in all different parts of the world. The name is commonly given to the wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45, although only the second of these was truly global.
Definition of world war

: a war engaged in by all or most of the principal nations of the worldespecially, capitalized both Ws : either of two such wars of the first half of the 20th century

joaqweri

ww3 in my mind would be a result of all major geopolitical powderkegs popping. iran going to war with israel and GCC nations in the middle east, china and north korea going to war with ASEAN nations, the US, and maybe india in the indo pacific, and russia going to war with nato in europe.

Obreid

Power Poster
Joint air and naval training underway with japan Australia and US involving both the nimitz and Reagan CSG. Pivioting around Guam and then south I assume they mean the indo pacific transit.
July 21 to aug 2