• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

U.S. Air Force confirms Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile test failure

The story seems a bit misleading to me. Until we know why the abort was issued, we don't know if it was actually a failure or not..

Yes and no, any nuclear launchers must be reliable and ready to go period. Or their deterrent and retaliatory effectiveness is lost.
Does anyone know if they’ve ever upgraded the launching software and hardware on them ever.
last I heard the commands were still running off 5” floppy disk.

It is possible though you could be right if it came down to a issue with the prep of the launcher after it was moved to Cali for the test. I believe one is moved to edwards or Vandenburg for the test launch.

Yes and no, any nuclear launchers must be reliable and ready to go period. Or their deterrent and retaliatory effectiveness is lost.
Does anyone know if they’ve ever upgraded the launching software and hardware on them ever.
last I heard the commands were still running off 5” floppy disk.
5" would be an upgrade. That would at least get us into 1980s architecture. As of 2019, at least some of the land-based silos were still using 8" floppy disks based on architecture from the 1970s. My understanding is that rather than actually update the hardware, interface cards are being custom designed to adapt those disk controllers to accept USB flash drives.