• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

US, Australia & UK to announce landmark new defence pact helping Australia develop nuclear sub capabilities

France to send ambassador back to Australia amid Aukus row:

France will send its ambassador back to Australia to "redefine" relations, after Canberra reneged on a deal to buy French submarines and sparked a row.

900 million France had already been paid yet France had not given them any start date for construction.

They did lay out the systems that would and would not be in the boat. It would be ancient technology when the first boat would have been delivered.

It would be akin to the US spending a billion dollars today to have new F-4 phantoms built with the same 1970s technology.

France was screwing Australia big time and the fact that France made such a big deal about it, that they were finally kicked to the curb is beyond laughable.

France should have been working on the second boat already, if they had their crap together but they only care about themselves and nobody else.

They remind me of the drunk, druggie fiberglass guys who promise to repair your boats for X dollars, ask for half the money upfront for materials and never shows up again. That's France!

900 million France had already been paid yet France had not given them any start date for construction.

They did lay out the systems that would and would not be in the boat. It would be ancient technology when the first boat would have been delivered.

It would be akin to the US spending a billion dollars today to have new F-4 phantoms built with the same 1970s technology.

France was screwing Australia big time and the fact that France made such a big deal about it, that they were finally kicked to the curb is beyond laughable.

France should have been working on the second boat already, if they had their crap together but they only care about themselves and nobody else.

They remind me of the drunk, druggie fiberglass guys who promise to repair your boats for X dollars, ask for half the money upfront for materials and never shows up again. That's France!
Well said.

Here’s a halfway decent article detailing why the Aussies wanted out of the contract.
If halfway accurate then yes the French shouldn’t have been surprised at all.

The French can do some decent manufacturing projects But it seems like this manufacturer just dropped the ball and took it for granted.

I find Frances excuse that they were offed nuclear propulsion but chose not to costing more money and time laughable. The author should have called them on that nonsense.

Going nuclear is going to cost more because they have zero infrastructure for it and the cost of the powerplant is insane compared to conventional. Let alone the guy probably never heard of Autocad 😆.

I find Frances excuse that they were offed nuclear propulsion but chose not to costing more money and time laughable. The author should have called them on that nonsense.

Going nuclear is going to cost more because they have zero infrastructure for it and the cost of the powerplant is insane compared to conventional. Let alone the guy probably never heard of Autocad 😆.
The French already have their own barracuda class nuclear sub in sea trials.
I’m not saying Australia shouldn’t have backed out but should be somewhat accurate. France is an ally, a stubborn one sometimes, but an ally none the less. That said what I could find on the Aussie French deal, there should have been no surprise to the French this deal was falling apart.

Crise des sous-marins : la colère des Français après la fuite d'un SMS d'Emmanuel Macron adressé au Premier ministre australien, Scott Morrison

DEFCON Warning System - Translation: Submarine crisis: the anger of the French after the leak of the SMS from Emmanuel Macron addressed to the Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison

The entourage of the French president denounced "unacceptable methods".
The Elysée sees (again) red in the submarine crisis. The leak, Tuesday, November 2, of an SMS sent by Emmanuel Macron to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the submarine mega-contract angered the entourage of the French president, who denounced "unacceptable methods", according to a source close to France Télévisions.

Last edited by a moderator: