• Guests may view all public nodes. However, you must be registered to post.

Ventura, California Wildfire

RiffRaff

Deputy Director
Staff member
Donator
Scanner feed sounds very bad. Hearing reports of the fire actually entering the city of Ventura, with multiple structures engulfed and "no resources." NWS forecasting 60 mph Santa Anna winds until Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/us/ventura-county-fire-california/index.html

From what I've heard, this fire is now 230,000 acres, 10% contained, 750+ structures destroyed, 15,000+ structures threatened, and grew 50,000 acres yesterday alone. Only 1 death known about so far, however I have a bad feeling that count will go up as soon as they can get people in to go through the charred remains. Sounds like another Santa Ana event is coming next weekend as well, this fire was so powerful yesterday it had a pyrocumulus cloud which is usually only seen above erupting volcanoes and causes extremely erratic winds when collapsing.

I just tweeted a CNN headline about the California wildfires now bigger than New York City and Boston combined.

It's crazy and probably only going to get bigger, very dry and very dense fuels for miles ahead of this thing.

Also worth noting, the pyrocumulus cloud is still there and is capable of creating it's own weather, including sudden, strong wind gusts and wind shifts and dry lightning. Number of structures destroyed is now 798 and acreage is 230,500.

252,700 acres, 35% contained, new Santa Ana event kicking up tonight. Southeastern flank of the fire was picking up last night, threatening Fillmore yet again, they were talking about evacuating Fillmore last night but I haven't heard anything since then, yesterday was the first day in awhile that they could get planes up to help with the fight, they couldn't on previous days due to a very thick layer of smoke. Expect erratic fire behavior and continuous Santa Ana events through at least Christmas. Not going to be a good situation, and this could very well become the biggest fire in modern Californian history.

270,500 acres, 45% contained with another very strong Santa Ana signal Wednesday-Sunday. They will be able to gain some ground on containment today and tomorrow but will likely lose most of it Wednesday-Sunday if the winds are as strong as they are forecast to be. I've also seen they are considering cutting power to some parts of Malibu due to the wildfire threatening power lines, however I'm not sure if they are going to go through with that.

271,000 acres, 50% contained, hopefully they can gain more ground today before the winds kick back up tomorrow.